The Student Room Group

Sky's Mindfulness Journal (Mk.II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Interesting to read about the impact music has on you. I was very heavily encouraged about a year ago, to delete a playlist I had built. It sometimes helped me to sleep, but often resulted in pain or becoming triggered, due to trauma associations.

It's really hard to remove certain music from one's life, for sure :sadnod: But sometimes it's good to try and listen to it sparingly if possible :redface:

I definitely feel that actually, she advised something similar. There's a song called "Secunda" that genuinely puts me to sleep so quickly because of its harp rhythm, but it's sad to listen to as well - so I can empathise with the idea of something being incredibly helpful and harmful at once :console:

I recognise that was about a year ago but I hope you've found things slightly better since? :redface:

Definitely, never in my twenty years have I ever really tried :frown: I'm going to try switching out game music with memories attached to more classical stuff, if you have any calm suggestions please do advise :yep:
Original post by CastCuraga
I definitely feel that actually, she advised something similar. There's a song called "Secunda" that genuinely puts me to sleep so quickly because of its harp rhythm, but it's sad to listen to as well - so I can empathise with the idea of something being incredibly helpful and harmful at once :console:

I recognise that was about a year ago but I hope you've found things slightly better since? :redface:

Definitely, never in my twenty years have I ever really tried :frown: I'm going to try switching out game music with memories attached to more classical stuff, if you have any calm suggestions please do advise :yep:

It's really hard when it's helpful and harmful at once, isn't it? And not knowing which one it's going to be until you try listening to it... I have that with a certain film as well :s-smilie:

Tbh I kinda regret deleting it, though the sensible adult part of me does recognise that I did the right thing in deleting it in the end :redface:

Ahhhh, I'm not the best person for music suggestions, I just listen to the same things on repeat haha. My "processing song" is Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto slow movement though :tongue:
It's really hard when it's helpful and harmful at once, isn't it? And not knowing which one it's going to be until you try listening to it... I have that with a certain film as well :s-smilie:

Tbh I kinda regret deleting it, though the sensible adult part of me does recognise that I did the right thing in deleting it in the end :redface:

Ahhhh, I'm not the best person for music suggestions, I just listen to the same things on repeat haha. My "processing song" is Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto slow movement though :tongue:

Absolutely, it's like a Russian Roulette except it also probably affects the next few hours of your rest...but if it's good, it's so good. Not so much films but I have a plethora of games that agree with you there :s Honestly I keep wondering if it's something that will always be like this, or fades out slowly with time

Doing something mature doesn't always elicit a good feeling, I can understand :redface:

I *adore* that opening part with the string harmony, good call thank you!! :tongue:
Also do the same thing with music :redface: including a song about the death of a friend which is just stupid :erm:

Trying to work out that instrument too now :redface: is there such thing as a soprano/piccolo oboe? Can't help thinking it's probably just a normal one but the sound's distorted a bit. They can play to the G two and a bit octaves above middle C they just don't like it very much! Doing a piece with an oboeist atm with various top Es in and one F, she hates it :lol:

Not classical as such but I love the piano guys for relaxing stuff, their videos are amazing too all set in different places. Don't know if you'd struggle with the cello but yeah :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by furryface12
Also do the same thing with music :redface: including a song about the death of a friend which is just stupid :erm:

Trying to work out that instrument too now :redface: is there such thing as a soprano/piccolo oboe? Can't help thinking it's probably just a normal one but the sound's distorted a bit. They can play to the G two and a bit octaves above middle C they just don't like it very much! Doing a piece with an oboeist atm with various top Es in and one F, she hates it :lol:

Not classical as such but I love the piano guys for relaxing stuff, their videos are amazing too all set in different places. Don't know if you'd struggle with the cello but yeah :smile:

No, I have one like that too so I'm the last person to judge :redface:

I didn't think there was but that sounds more logical, thank you! And oh god, trying to do a high note on any wind instrument sounds like torture (and might be why I've stuck to strings my entire life :lol: )

I'm usually okay with cello unless it's certain songs, I've been meaning to check out their stuff for ages now :colondollar: Better than just practising Danse Macabre for the 18th time just to get halfway better at it and then giving up and eating ice cream and crying because it's so hard

...wow ok i wasnt meaning to offload that much oh my god

DAY 12
Potential

Thoughts

Spoiler

Mindfulness Challenge - Day 3

Spoiler

Relaxing Music of the Day

Spoiler

No, I have one like that too so I'm the last person to judge :redface:

I didn't think there was but that sounds more logical, thank you! And oh god, trying to do a high note on any wind instrument sounds like torture (and might be why I've stuck to strings my entire life :lol: )

I'm usually okay with cello unless it's certain songs, I've been meaning to check out their stuff for ages now :colondollar: Better than just practising Danse Macabre for the 18th time just to get halfway better at it and then giving up and eating ice cream and crying because it's so hard

...wow ok i wasnt meaning to offload that much oh my god

Least I'm not the only one I guess :redface: and according to wikipedia there is apparently! Very rare though and not sure that's something I ever want to hear. Piccolo normal is bad enough :lol: high notes on flute and sax are fine though.

Ah okay, yeah :smile: not everyone likes them but I do a lot. Saw them in the royal albert hall earlier in the year and :love: and ice cream is good :tongue: crying can be too tbf.

Well done on the coursework marks, glad you've had a mostly good day! Do you know what went wrong in the 15% one?
Least I'm not the only one I guess :redface: and according to wikipedia there is apparently! Very rare though and not sure that's something I ever want to hear. Piccolo normal is bad enough :lol: high notes on flute and sax are fine though.

Ah okay, yeah :smile: not everyone likes them but I do a lot. Saw them in the royal albert hall earlier in the year and :love: and ice cream is good :tongue: crying can be too tbf.

Well done on the coursework marks, glad you've had a mostly good day! Do you know what went wrong in the 15% one?

Weirdly I don't mind piccolo high notes, but I've been using them in my own work for years as well :lol:

Oh man I didn't know they played there, I'm definitely gonna have to look into it - had a listen to some of them and aaaa it's so good :adore:

Thank you! Honestly it's just because it was a titration and I panicked for 3 hours, it wasn't a fun time :redface: That's kinda been a problem in deciding the whole uni thing actually, bc although I like Biology, I've as of yet hated all of my labs in both Bio and Chem ^^;
Weirdly I don't mind piccolo high notes, but I've been using them in my own work for years as well :lol:

Oh man I didn't know they played there, I'm definitely gonna have to look into it - had a listen to some of them and aaaa it's so good :adore:

Thank you! Honestly it's just because it was a titration and I panicked for 3 hours, it wasn't a fun time :redface: That's kinda been a problem in deciding the whole uni thing actually, bc although I like Biology, I've as of yet hated all of my labs in both Bio and Chem ^^;

They're nice within stuff, playing it though or sat right next to one is like nooo. Stupidly hard to play decently too and just deafens you.

It was so good! I'd always wanted to go anyway so when I saw they were got so excited :colondollar: need to listen to them again tbh, haven't in ages.

Ah, can imagine that :s-smilie: that's not great. See how they go I guess? But can see your dilemma :/ so many.conflicting confusing factors
They're nice within stuff, playing it though or sat right next to one is like nooo. Stupidly hard to play decently too and just deafens you.

It was so good! I'd always wanted to go anyway so when I saw they were got so excited :colondollar: need to listen to them again tbh, haven't in ages.

Ah, can imagine that :s-smilie: that's not great. See how they go I guess? But can see your dilemma :/ so many.conflicting confusing factors

Oooh, I forgot you're a flautist. Yeah, that's a bit different than me just sitting in the middle of the strings relatively ignored so I'll feel you on that one :tongue:

I just wish more places played outside London that I'm interested in, I have to weigh up if it's worth the nightmare just to see it :colondollar: I loved their way of fusing Vivaldi's Winter with Let it Go though, definitely wanna see that live!!

Yep :/ The whole Physics situation will get a lot easier once I actually start my labs I think, am looking forward to doing experiments that don't involve things that could kill me with one wrong move :lol: I'm just uncoordinated as hell basically :tongue:
Oooh, I forgot you're a flautist. Yeah, that's a bit different than me just sitting in the middle of the strings relatively ignored so I'll feel you on that one :tongue:

I just wish more places played outside London that I'm interested in, I have to weigh up if it's worth the nightmare just to see it :colondollar: I loved their way of fusing Vivaldi's Winter with Let it Go though, definitely wanna see that live!!

Yep :/ The whole Physics situation will get a lot easier once I actually start my labs I think, am looking forward to doing experiments that don't involve things that could kill me with one wrong move :lol: I'm just uncoordinated as hell basically :tongue:

Yep :tongue: do not like piccolos :lol:

They normally do non London ones, I saw them in Manchester a few years back and they've played in Birmingham and more places since definitely. They are amazing love though! Except when they got cliff richard up on the stage to sing with them :erm:

Hope it will! And yeah you're not the only one :colondollar: the worst thing that can go wrong in psychology labs is messing up the stats which I'm very glad about!
Yep :tongue: do not like piccolos :lol:

They normally do non London ones, I saw them in Manchester a few years back and they've played in Birmingham and more places since definitely. They are amazing love though! Except when they got cliff richard up on the stage to sing with them :erm:

Hope it will! And yeah you're not the only one :colondollar: the worst thing that can go wrong in psychology labs is messing up the stats which I'm very glad about!

RIP Furry's ears :lol:

Oh, well if you notice they're ever outside of London pls let me know!! :adore:
...erm yeah if they don't have Cliff Richard on there. I can do without that. :tongue:

That's a relief :colondollar: Though I don't want to be rude, doesn't your disability affect that? Bc mine doesn't, I'm literally just uncoordinated as sin ^^;

*GASP* HOW COULD YOU MESS UP STATS
YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL
(Not really a new Day in its own right, just forgot to do the mindful challenge for yesterday!)

MINDFULNESS CHALLENGE - DAY 4

#1: What am I grateful for today?
That friend I spoke about the other day, actually. Feelings aside she's an incredibly good friend and knows how to make my day (largely by tagging me in facebook memes or discussing the absurdity of her English degree, but I digress :tongue: )

#2: What act of kindness did I do today?
Let someone use my hot chocolate...I'm very protective of it :lol:

#3: What act of kindness did someone do for me today?
Nothing really, but I didn't go out either :smile:

#4: What did I do well today?
Got a little better at Danse Macabre, but man those double stops at the beginning just kill me! Maybe if I pretend I'm a spooky skeleton it'll work...

#5: What could I improve on?
Time management...I'm glad I took today to rest, but I now have only a day and a half to go through 130 slides of Chem 4 :wavingtheflag:

#6: Something I achieved today?
Again reusing Danse Macabre but I figured out how some of the trills work! I love the sound of them but I'm godawful at actually doing them :redface:

#7: Have you looked after your mental health today?
Yes! Am v happy that I finally broke the cycle of working and didn't do anything yesterday except lie in bed, drink hot chocolate and binge Aqua Teen Hunger Force again. Man can I feel the difference, I definitely need to find a way to keep this going!

#8: Have you got anything to look forward to?
...going home and watching more ATHF tbh :rofl:

DAY 13
A Terrible Day for Rain

TW, though I think the main people that read this probably know what putting one means anyway.

Edit - 17th Nov: This post is pretty dark and depressing but I think it's worth positing that since waking today I've felt a lot of weight lifted, and more productive than usual. So I'm hoping that with that in mind (plus the start of Genetics today) conclusions and moving forward will be easier :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not really sure what to say atm, but wanted to offer huge hugs :jumphug: :frown: :jumphug:
I'm not really sure what to say atm, but wanted to offer huge hugs :jumphug: :frown: :jumphug:

That's more than plenty kind rn :redface: :hugs: :hugs:

Subject Pros & Cons

You've seen this before. I've seen this before. What's different?
Probably the lack of any pre-determined bias, and the fact I'm literally so sleep deprived from this whole nightmare I don't have the energy to be nice when I don't, in my heart of hearts, want to be.

(Also bc my counsellor suggested seeing a careers advisor and this was the perfect time to go through everything once and for all).

You guys don't need to go through if you don't want to, or aren't extremely bored; this is gonna be for my own use until I can see them on Monday and finally get things under control. I have ideas, but I didn't make any decisions.

TL;DR Edition

Spoiler

Biology, Biomedical Science and Genetics ( "Life Sciences" )

Spoiler

Physics and Astronomy / Astrophysics

Spoiler

Ancient History and Latin (Classical Study)

Spoiler

History Joint Honours (Latin, Italian, Japanese, Music, Psychology etc)

Spoiler

DAY 14
Liberty

I've finally come to some conclusions. Not some cheap throwaway things I'm going to regret within 5 hours...after going back to pay my respects, I decided to take a trip back to Ireland, for once just for no reason but my own will. After becoming deeply depressed over the whole deathiversary, I wanted to take some care of myself in the only way I knew how. I just went into really deep thinking, and eventually asked myself when the happiest time of my life was.

And I think, probably not for the first time, I remember - it was my days living in Wicklow as a child. I realise why now, in hindsight; not only did it feel more like home than anywhere in the world I've ever been, but it was remote, slightly secluded, natural...all the things living in Cardiff (and to an extent Crawley) has drained me of. Just being able to go back and explore, say hi to the small village I used to live in as if seven years hadn't passed, and just lose myself in nature for a few hours...stupid as it sounds, I don't think I honestly realised how important everything there was to me until I was presented with living in the complete antithesis.

More importantly, hiding away in that forest for a little while made me realise another important thing - about the thoughts that never seem to go away. They didn't haunt me at any point on my trip "home". And I'm no psychologist, but I'm willing to believe it's because at my uni home I'm so far away from everything that makes me calm, and this kind of city life is just eliciting the worst response in me. My thoughts about the future, about university - they became increasingly escapist, and for the best of reasons - I really do want to escape, and when new opportunities and degrees and places arose, I jumped to them. Especially when I wasn't required to do well on this foundation to get a place elsewhere.

It's not as though I don't remember every day that Rebekah and I spent in that forest during those 3 years I lived there. I still remembered them even as I walked, but it didn't matter. It was enough that, once upon a time, that kind of happiness existed, even if it doesn't today. I will be the first to admit that usually, when some memory like that happens, I instantly think of when the next time I can share these experiences with someone will be, and it is a problem, but fortunately that wasn't the case today.

On a similar note, though, I remembered that Jade and I used to share the Metal Gear (Solid) series together, and that he had wanted us to play the last ones at some point. I did feel some responsibility, but unlike most things, I didn't do it right away. I waited until the last few days for some reason, and fully understood why he wanted me to finish them...I'm not done yet, but I understood there are a lot of messages there that maybe it's fate I discovered now, in a time full of uncertainty.

Here are a few selected quotes that stood out:

"A strong man doesn't need to read the future. He makes his own." (MGS1)

"No one quite knows who or what they are. And we don't need to." (MGS2)

"It's time I lived for something more than this." (MGS3)

"Without the slightest chance or reason left to them, humans are capable of hope. I'm no different. But for one thing. When my time came calling I didn't die." (MGS5)

"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." (MGS3)

So, I've made my decision. Not only about university, or subjects, or any of those things that won't change everything.
I've decided to live. Not for my friends, not for a future I can only pretend is destined. But for me.

As for university, I'm staying on my path. I have every opportunity, right this moment, to walk away from Biology even if it feels like it's crushing me...but I won't. This isn't the right place for me, but that doesn't mean I have to give in. I think deep down that might've been all it ever was, that the odds seemed so stacked against me in a city I don't like, and that going to Physics or reverting to History might've "brought back happier days", be it Rebekah's interests or the days I spent with my ex, encouraged by mutual interest of History. But those days are gone...Biology might've been the thing I studied as a child for the intent of healing Rebekah, but it's also the key to my future when considering how many sacrifices I made just to get here. Sacrifices nobody wanted me to give up for their sakes.

I don't know which university in particular I'm heading to, and I don't think I need to. I made my choices (Belfast, Bangor, Leeds, Glasgow and Aberdeen) and until I hear from them, it doesn't matter. I'm not going to make the mistake I've made for such a long time over these two blogs in thinking I can read the future. It isn't about what the future is going to be like naturally, it's about what I do to make the future I dream of a reality. Some things come naturally, like love and the ever-present unexpecteds, and in those regards, it takes wisdom to know when it's better not to try to interfere in future's path. I realise that, in my desperation to get away from Sussex, I often let that blind me in the hope that wherever I headed, things would be better. I didn't try, at any point, to honestly persevere and make that difference I wanted.

So, with all that being said, and these lessons firmly learned, I think from here it's time I started doing what I set out to - become the person I want to be for when I leave for whatever distant shore I'll wash up on in just ten short months.

And like hell, I'm ready.
(edited 6 years ago)
This sounds positive and promising. I'm glad the trip to Ireland has helped a bit :h:
This sounds positive and promising. I'm glad the trip to Ireland has helped a bit :h:

I definitely feel a difference. Maybe the secret is to just go there more often :colondollar:

Also, hope you're doing okay - I heard you resigned or something? Please feel free to message if you need to vent, you give so much help and I want to aid you in return if I can :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest