The Student Room Group

My First Year Of GCSE's

Hi,
I am currently a year 10 student who wants to become a medical student. I am very diligent and decided to showcase my achievements and even my struggles. On this thread you will see some of the best revision tips I could possible give.

A bit of information about my studies:-
Predicted A*'s in all 10 of my GCSE's, or 8's now.
I am also the biggest procrastinator of all time.

My Subjects:-
Maths,
English language
English Literature
TRIPLE SCIENCE-chemistry, physics and biology
History
French
Business
Computer science
IMG_2662.jpgA little maths revision(todays work).

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently in year 11 and my revision processes are summarising key notes in each subject topics and put them on an index card and stick them on your bedroom wall or anywhere else you are guaranteed to see them. Hopefully seeing them everyday will allow it to stay in your head
Original post by Badgirl55
I'm currently in year 11 and my revision processes are summarising key notes in each subject topics and put them on an index card and stick them on your bedroom wall or anywhere else you are guaranteed to see them. Hopefully seeing them everyday will allow it to stay in your head

This is also one of my favourite methods of revision, I will be posting some of my revision card pictures tomorrow.
Reply 3
S**t ...my revision consisted of having a textbook open while playing CoD :lol: :lol:
Original post by Avaia
S**t ...my revision consisted of having a textbook open while playing CoD :lol: :lol:

Lol, have you done your GCSE's? if so how did you do.
Reply 5
Original post by GCSE Student 18
Lol, have you done your GCSE's? if so how did you do.

I did average tbh, AAABBBCCD
hey! i'm also in y10 and want to do medicine so i'll defo be following your thread!
Original post by mez_merising
hey! i'm also in y10 and want to do medicine so i'll defo be following your thread!

Thank-you So much.
(edited 6 years ago)
HI, I'm up early today so I could get some revision in today. I've just checked TSR planner and realised I got a whole lot of things to revise for today! Waking up early is also an added benefit. More time to fit in procrastination.
Your probably wondering why I am revising so much. I'll tell you. I currently achieved
maths-level 5/high c
computer science-2/10
chemistry-24/40
SHOCKING!!
Didn't really know what happened in computer science. WHOOPS! A predicted A* student didn't even manage to get half marks. Yep! I need the revision.
Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 09.53.12.png (UPDATE-will be posting some snazzy revision cards later, stay tuned.)
Back At School:
This week has been my first week back since the holidays. I really enjoyed a-lot of my lessons and had a motivational talk from my mom about me not putting enough effort in because I'm gifted and talented and I think I can leave everything to last-minute. Oops! It's true, yes, ok, I do get a bit over confident when it comes to my academics. Only because my IQ is in the genius range.

Anywaaay! I've got french homework, business homework and 9 subjects to revise for tests. I know manic. I need to get a good score on my biology test as I only managed to get a level 5/B- on my chemistry.
I don't spend much of my time concentrating on lessons and normally stare at the clock, especially after 2h30 minutes straight of Biology. GGGR!

I'm also worried medicine isn't for me and don't know if i'm following an academic trend. What I really want to do is be an entrepreneur or something with horses; like a show jumper. Yeah this year I have changed my career 34 times. I KNOW RIGHT!

I'm struggling to get good marks on test, but I feel my revision is enough. My mom doesn't agree. I was just wondering if you had any tips on revision and if you could comment them below.
Back At School:
This week has been my first week back since the holidays. I really enjoyed a-lot of my lessons and had a motivational talk from my mom about me not putting enough effort in because I'm gifted and talented and I think I can leave everything to last-minute. Oops! It's true, yes, ok, I do get a bit over confident when it comes to my academics. Only because my IQ is in the genius range.

Anywaaay! I've got french homework, business homework and 9 subjects to revise for tests. I know manic. I need to get a good score on my biology test as I only managed to get a level 5/B- on my chemistry.
I don't spend much of my time concentrating on lessons and normally stare at the clock, especially after 2h30 minutes straight of Biology. GGGR!

I'm also worried medicine isn't for me and don't know if i'm following an academic trend. What I really want to do is be an entrepreneur or something with horses; like a show jumper. Yeah this year I have changed my career 34 times. I KNOW RIGHT!

I'm struggling to get good marks on test, but I feel my revision is enough. My mom doesn't agree. I was just wondering if you had any tips on revision and if you could comment them below.

Just be determined. Listen in class. Make notes as you go on. So as you finish each subject make notes and come back to them in year 11.. don't stress in year 10!!!!
Hi I love this post, so motivational.
WHATS GOING ON:-
Hi, I haven't been active for a while because my main focus has been revise, revise and revise. I'm supposed to be an A* student as you may know by now as thats all I ever seem to go on about. The stress is really getting to me though. I spend ages putting time in and I'm only getting average grades in test. SOMETHING NEEDS TO CHANGE! I've just ordered 6 revision guides from school for maths and triple science. So. I'm getting well stuck in.
WHAT I'M DOING RIGHT NOW:-
Reading-Susan Hill, I'm the king of the castle.
Its a great book and I loved reading to kill a mocking bird, in fact I loved it so much i read in 2 days! LOVE A GOOD BOOK! NERD ALERT!
Revising-Creating resources and using the ones I have bought to gain better grades. I'm currently revising for at least 3 hours a day, every day.
FUN!!! Playing on the Microsoft solitaire collection free online game. Watching the Apprentice!! LOVE THAT SHOW!
LATEST ACHIEVEMENT!
Getting a level 8 in my business test and a level 6 in physics which I literally don't understand.

QUESTIONS THAT I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE TO ANSWER?
I don't really know what I want to be and keep changing my mind?
What's your best revision technique?
I'm an academic and don't want to go to university?
Any good books that will improve my vocabulary?
Any good music to listen to whilst studying?
Hi,
Today was actually pleasantly surprising. I enjoyed all of my lessons and this is way I have decided to write a little bit about them.

MATHS:-
We are doing algebra and are currently rearranging the formulas which I enjoy. I never used to like algebra but my teacher, who I have had for the second year now, is amazing.

English:-
I have a love hate relationship with this topic but I really enjoyed todays lesson. We had to write a creative piece of writing that emphasised a tense atmosphere.I get my test results tomorrow for a test we had done last week. WISH ME LUCK!!!

Business:-
We did the maths side of business today and I really liked it. Working out revenue and profit and how variable and fixed costs are calculated. I did a nice piece of homework and handed it in. My teacher loved the homework so I'm happy with the lesson. I scored an 8 in my last test I hope I get a 9 next time seeing as we will be doing maths in the next test.

French:-
My teacher told us to prepare for mocks and make sure we are taking enough time out of our social lives (mines non existent)
to revise.We are still on the topic of the family house and I enjoyed the lesson. I did well on my test and used 4 tenses.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:-
FAVOURITE SUBJECT AND WHY?
Hi,
Today was actually pleasantly surprising. I enjoyed all of my lessons and this is way I have decided to write a little bit about them.

MATHS:-
We are doing algebra and are currently rearranging the formulas which I enjoy. I never used to like algebra but my teacher, who I have had for the second year now, is amazing.

English:-
I have a love hate relationship with this topic but I really enjoyed todays lesson. We had to write a creative piece of writing that emphasised a tense atmosphere.I get my test results tomorrow for a test we had done last week. WISH ME LUCK!!!

Business:-
We did the maths side of business today and I really liked it. Working out revenue and profit and how variable and fixed costs are calculated. I did a nice piece of homework and handed it in. My teacher loved the homework so I'm happy with the lesson. I scored an 8 in my last test I hope I get a 9 next time seeing as we will be doing maths in the next test.

French:-
My teacher told us to prepare for mocks and make sure we are taking enough time out of our social lives (mines non existent)
to revise.We are still on the topic of the family house and I enjoyed the lesson. I did well on my test and used 4 tenses.

QUESTION OF THE DAY:-
FAVOURITE SUBJECT AND WHY?

good luck for your english test and french mocks!
my favourite subject is drama bc we do little to no work and analysis is so easy for me and i just love performing with my friends
Original post by mez_merising
good luck for your english test and french mocks!
my favourite subject is drama bc we do little to no work and analysis is so easy for me and i just love performing with my friends

HI,
Thank You so much.
Reply 16
i’m also in the same situation! year ten who wants to go into medicine (although i only realised after i picked my gcses last year that wanted to go into medicine so now i dont even do triple science)

n e ways, for revision , i feel like making notes is a good way to start. it probably isn’t the best way to start but is effective as a foundation. i run a studygram account so i also focus on making them look good, which makes the revision process easier. the way i do it is by using a textbook and rewriting everything we covered in class . reason being is that it goes through your head again?? i realise in class i don’t actually take good/quality notes because its usually what the teacher is telling me to write - not what i understand of the content. if you understand the content and can write it in your own words, it makes the revision process a lot easier.

another technique is probably flashcards. they’re short and snappy and especially good if you have the facts on one side and the questions on the other. but make sure to do these along the way because when it came to geography i found myself doing last minute flash cards for case studies and that took years!

but an important way to do things is spacing them out and focusing on things that you struggle with. do practise exam questions and if you don’t do well on them, revise the topics more often. for questions you’re better at, revise them but just less frequently. there was a very good technique on tumblr i saw linked to this if you want me to send it!!
Original post by jas21
i’m also in the same situation! year ten who wants to go into medicine (although i only realised after i picked my gcses last year that wanted to go into medicine so now i dont even do triple science)

n e ways, for revision , i feel like making notes is a good way to start. it probably isn’t the best way to start but is effective as a foundation. i run a studygram account so i also focus on making them look good, which makes the revision process easier. the way i do it is by using a textbook and rewriting everything we covered in class . reason being is that it goes through your head again?? i realise in class i don’t actually take good/quality notes because its usually what the teacher is telling me to write - not what i understand of the content. if you understand the content and can write it in your own words, it makes the revision process a lot easier.

another technique is probably flashcards. they’re short and snappy and especially good if you have the facts on one side and the questions on the other. but make sure to do these along the way because when it came to geography i found myself doing last minute flash cards for case studies and that took years!

but an important way to do things is spacing them out and focusing on things that you struggle with. do practise exam questions and if you don’t do well on them, revise the topics more often. for questions you’re better at, revise them but just less frequently. there was a very good technique on tumblr i saw linked to this if you want me to send it!!

Thank You so much, I too didn't know I wanted to go into Medicine until I picked my GCSE's. I will try making the cashcards and writing up notes and if you could send me the tumblr thingy that would be great.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thursday 23rd November:-
Today being me I decided to be really happy and as soon as I got too school I decided to ruin everyone's day and be moody whilst at school. I was supposed too get my english results and now I have to wait for tomorrow and i have been waiting for these results for like FOREVER.
YOU CAN READ BELOW TO FIND OUT WHY I AM SO DEPRESSED (OVER DRAMATIC PERSON)

Todays Lessons
History-
We had a cover who doesn't even know what she's on about! She sat there for an hour and 15 minutes talking about how if you get a lump in your neck you might have cancer or a cyst or maybe you've just slept on your neck. Why is that information needed?
English-
I got really hyped and then she said were not getting our results and than I got salty and decided not too do the classwork, I'm a rebel.
Double Physics-
I never really get whats going on in that class but I like the teacher when she's not disapproving of you because you made up your results table because you did the experiment wrong. WHOOPS, WHAT CAN I SAY.;

EXTRA SADNESS IS BELOW
I missed I'm a celebrity and got spoilers at school. GRRR
I have giant bags under my eyes even though I went to bed at 10 '0' clock. I normally go to bed at 9.

SOOOO today has been long
Tomorrows Friday-whooooo
Hi Guys
HAPPY SATURDAY MOOD
Fridays classes Below

MATHS-
Quadratic nth term, I literally struggle to do it the way my teacher does it so I have to do the other method I found on google. It was a good lesson though.
English
I got my test results the verdict is below and I feel happy especially knowing that English is my worst subject.
Computer science
I actually finished the work, normally I spend time talking but I solved some coding thingy ma bob so I'm extra happy.
History
I had a cover but the work was still interesting. Gotta love a bit of history.

RESULTS
ENGLISH= A/8 24/30.

My Saturday will consist of going over exam techniques and revising. Have a good day.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending