The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by RedGiant
Your opinion. IMO you should at least wait until you've seen them at the open day, and go from there. Trying to decide at this stage is really just a bit silly. It supposedly happens a lot, a lot of year 12s at the start want to apply to Oxbridge but then get past the GCSE stuff and this number reduces a lot. Which explains why almost everyone in L6 at my sixth form (<400) are "thinking of applying".

well obviously you're gonna get the dumb people who think cos they passed year 6 sats they can get into oxbridge. I overheard some people at my school saying **** like they're gonna apply, even though they know they're not gonna get in, just to see if they might get lucky / in order to feel good about themselves. But there's actually smart people on this site (or so I've heard)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by StayWoke
Don't worry mods it's just right wing banter.

Spoiler

don't do this to me bby
well obviously you're gonna get the dumb people who think cos they past year 6 sats they can get into oxbridge. I overheard some people at my school saying **** like they're gonna apply, even though they know they're not gonna get in, just to see if they might get lucky / in order to feel good about themselves. But there's actually smart people on this site (or so I've heard)

I wouldn't say "dumb" people, I'd say "the people who didn't manage the step up from GCSE to A Level". Good GCSE performance doesn't always correlate with a Level performance - after all, GCSE is like a memory test of fairly simple 'GCSE level' concepts in many different subjects, where as beyond the GCSE section of A Level is actually more difficult concepts in only a couple of subjects - hence why one can no longer just memorise it, one has to actually understand it in depth.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 303
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Fair enough. I’m sure there’s a few people who can give you some guidance who share the same aspirations as you. Also, you could check out YouTube videos from people who do what you aspire to do. :smile:

Thanks so much !!
Confident internally, Under confident externally is the best way to be.

Agreed :h: although it's not like I'm confident internally either, I just like to daydream, so I'll start fantasising about something at Cambridge and "when" will accidentally slip out :lol:

spoken like a true lolbertarian.

Spoiler

Tut tut, personal attacks right in front of someone with a fancy purple name?

Spoiler

Your opinion. IMO you should at least wait until you've seen them at the open day, and go from there. Trying to decide at this stage is really just a bit silly. It supposedly happens a lot, a lot of year 12s at the start want to apply to Oxbridge but then get past the GCSE stuff and this number reduces a lot. Which explains why almost everyone in L6 at my sixth form (<400) are "thinking of applying".

Weell I have been to Open Day already. That's fair, but it assumes that we never did anything other than GCSE work during GCSEs, and I imagine a fair few prospective Cambridge students read ahead in their subject(s) of interest (I certainly did) enough for them to develop an interest and want to pursue a degree in the subject(s).
...If you get the right predicted grades...

It's not obvious from what you posted "I'm thinking of applying to Christ's", you appear to sound like you think you are automatically going to be able to apply. One shouldn't post stuff like that as they come off a bit naive.

That's not what the post said at all. Of course a potential applicant can state which college they are thinking of applying to.

You can have a preferred college now, and mention it, and later go to an open day and change it (or not). For one, you have no idea the reasons why a poster already has a preference - perhaps they are already familiar with Cambridge...

Please don't presume to call people naive or imply they are "silly" for having an early preference.
(edited 6 years ago)
Just gonna chip in and say I applied for Christs having never visited Cambridge or any unis for that matter... Gonna be nice going to see it for interview though.
Original post by black1blade
Just gonna chip in and say I applied for Christs having never visited Cambridge or any unis for that matter... Gonna be nice going to see it for interview though.
:ahee: Staying in college for interview is lovely.:love:
How far are Cambridge going to look into our predicted grades since there are no AS things anymore (at least for the subjects I'm taking)
Original post by nicholasflee
How far are Cambridge going to look into our predicted grades since there are no AS things anymore (at least for the subjects I'm taking)

What do you mean "how far"? They don't pay a huge amount of attention to predicted grades, so long as they at least meet the typical requirements for the course. They know predictions are often wrong...
Original post by nicholasflee

On open day, the AT said that if your school has internal exams at the end of Year 12, they're going to ask for your results in them and look at those as well as predicted grades (since they know that predictions aren't always accurate). This definitely applies to Trinity - that was where I heard it - and probably other colleges too.
Reply 313
Here's a question.
Do universities (inc cambridge) keep track of schools' predicted grades accuracy. My school bangs on about how their predicted grades are "respected", since they only in really exceptional circumstances predict you even one grade higher than you got in the internal, but do the unis really keep track of how accurate schools are with predicteed grades. What's stopping schools from just predicting one grade up always.

I guess a similar question could be asked about references and what's stopping schools from just giving everyone 100% outstanding references,

@Doonesbury
Here's a question.
Do universities (inc cambridge) keep track of schools' predicted grades accuracy. My school bangs on about how their predicted grades are "respected", since they only in really exceptional circumstances predict you even one grade higher than you got in the internal, but do the unis really keep track of how accurate schools are with predicteed grades. What's stopping schools from just predicting one grade up always.

I guess a similar question could be asked about references and what's stopping schools from just giving everyone 100% outstanding references,

@Doonesbury

As I said above, they don't pay much attention to predictions anyway. And nearly all references will be excellent.too. Neither pay a huge role. They aren't really useful differentiators.
I'm in a slightly unusual situation right now as I'm debating whether to retake a Maths module.

Basically, although I'm year 12 (thinking of applying to Cambridge for engineering, 2019 entry), I did my Maths A-level early. I took AS Maths+FM in year 10, then Maths A2 in year 11. I'm doing FM A2 right now and will take the exams in 2018 (last year of the modular spec I believe).

Most of my UMS scores are very high, but I only got 81 in M1 and I'm not sure if this would count against me since I know that Cambridge was very picky when it came to UMS back when everyone did modular AS exams. However, by the time I apply, I'd already have my grade (hopefully A*), so would they still care about a slightly dodgy module? Just wondering.
Original post by TheMindGarage
I'm in a slightly unusual situation right now as I'm debating whether to retake a Maths module.

Basically, although I'm year 12 (thinking of applying to Cambridge for engineering, 2019 entry), I did my Maths A-level early. I took AS Maths+FM in year 10, then Maths A2 in year 11. I'm doing FM A2 right now and will take the exams in 2018 (last year of the modular spec I believe).

Most of my UMS scores are very high, but I only got 81 in M1 and I'm not sure if this would count against me since I know that Cambridge was very picky when it came to UMS back when everyone did modular AS exams. However, by the time I apply, I'd already have my grade (hopefully A*), so would they still care about a slightly dodgy module? Just wondering.

What is your M2 and are you doing M3?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
As I said above, they don't pay much attention to predictions anyway. And nearly all references will be excellent.too. Neither pay a huge role. They aren't really useful differentiators.

When I went to the Cambridge masterclass in November, in the admissions lecture the lecturer said that the reference IS very important. If you have a teacher saying that you are ‘outstanding’ or ‘one of the best’ they have ever taught they will take that recommendation very seriously.
Original post by Doonesbury
What is your M2 and are you doing M3?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My college doesn't offer a choice - we do S1 and S2 for Maths and M1, M2, D1 and D2 for Further Maths. So no M3.

I'll be taking M2 this year. We've just finished covering it in class and I found it pretty easy (got 91 and 100 UMS in the two past papers I've done). Realistically M1 should be a breeze, but I don't know if it's worth putting myself through it (especially since the "bottleneck" to get an A* is the 90% in best three A2 units).
Original post by Flubex
When I went to the Cambridge masterclass in November, in the admissions lecture the lecturer said that the reference IS very important. If you have a teacher saying that you are ‘outstanding’ or ‘one of the best’ they have ever taught they will take that recommendation very seriously.

Almost everyone will have "Oxbridge material" references.

Latest

Trending

Trending