Amazing! :woo: 11%
Good :H 21%
Okay :bebored: 39%
Bad :cry2: 14%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@14%
Total votes: 28
CfE HIGHER BIOLOGY 2017/18

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the Higher Biology thread. This is a thread for those who are studying Higher Biology for the term of 2017/18. You are welcomed to use this thread to discuss and ask questions on different aspects of the course and also suggest difference resources. Anyone who had previously studied the course would also be more than welcome to provide any help or advice as well as sharing their experience of the subject as a whole.

So who's studying this course this year?

Scroll to see replies

I studied it last year and i would be happy to add to the discussion if help is needed. I have many notes on the subject. PM if needed.:smile:

Notes on Replication for KerrDuncan
Reply 3
anyone has answers to paper one higher biology 2017
Reply 4
Finished higher biology. Would recommend memorising content from the outset as the amount of information can be overwhelming near the end and LEARN FROM THE SPEC on the sqa website, it gives you the wording sqa want you to use and means you don't learn more than you need to in one aspect or too little in another. If applying to medicine making your project something related can give you something to talk about in your personal statement/at interviews. Good Luck :smile:
Hi there, I sat Higher Biology last year but I am resitting as i got a C and want a better grade this year. I have some notes from last year , I have the textbook and also will be making new notes and will be more than happy to share.X
How's everyone coping so far?
Attachment not found
Here's the answers to the first few textbook questions, hope this helps X

@duncan2000
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi guys would apprciate it if you could check out my blog : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4998046
Hopefully these tips will help you get the grades you want and myself also!
Hi guys, got a couple for questions

1) what booklet are you guys on in higher biology? Not had a teacher for 4 weeks and want to make sure i'm not behind :smile:

2) When answering a Glycosis and citric acid cycle (an explain Question) where could I get a sample answer so i know what gets marks?
Also how can i remember these processes? Its so long and difficult to remember.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by plzhelpme!!!
Hi guys, got a couple for questions

1) what booklet are you guys on in higher biology? Not had a teacher for 4 weeks and want to make sure i'm not behind :smile:

2) When answering a Glycosis and citric acid cycle (an explain Question) where could I get a sample answer so i know what gets marks?
Also how can i remember these processes? Its so long and difficult to remember.

Thank you :smile:

I'm on 2.3. Probably find an answer on sqa past paper marking scheme, you can get few extended responses on respiration and just keep looking over it , try and memorise the diagram you can normally get most marks by drawing them in an extended response
Reply 10
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
I'm on 2.3. Probably find an answer on sqa past paper marking scheme, you can get few extended responses on respiration and just keep looking over it , try and memorise the diagram you can normally get most marks by drawing them in an extended response

Thank you so much, I didn't know you could get most marks from drawing the diagram. Thats great.
I did higher biology last year and got a B. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them!
Original post by lensash
Thank you so much, I didn't know you could get most marks from drawing the diagram. Thats great.

Just double check marking schemes. But I mean you'd get a mark for drawing an arrow from glucose down to pyruvate but then could also get a mark for writing Glucose is converted to pyruvate, they show the same thing. Other than the diagrams you need to say where they take place and describe certain key points but yeah have a look on the sqa website and also scholar. x
Original post by gw07mcgheerachel
Just double check marking schemes. But I mean you'd get a mark for drawing an arrow from glucose down to pyruvate but then could also get a mark for writing Glucose is converted to pyruvate, they show the same thing. Other than the diagrams you need to say where they take place and describe certain key points but yeah have a look on the sqa website and also scholar. x

Thats fantastic, thank you. Love your blog btw! your study timetable is really inspiring me to work hard :smile:
Original post by plzhelpme!!!
Thats fantastic, thank you. Love your blog btw! your study timetable is really inspiring me to work hard :smile:

Aw thank you lovely! I don't have a lot of time to update it but i try my best :smile:
When is everyones Higher Biology prelim?
Reply 16
I have my prelim in 5 days and I’ve tried revsisng but haven’t found a way which suits me best. What ideas and tips does anyone have that could help me get a good score? Please don’t say past papers because I’m not doing them until the actual exam
Well, for sciences, past papers really are the way to go, in my opinion. I don’t know why you’d want to save them - I would’ve been lost without them by now! There’s no point doing them all 3 weeks before the exam and then realising you can’t do half the questions in them!

I’ve got a booklet for unit 1 and 2 (+ I will have unit 3 when we’ve finished the course) that contains every PPQ that is relevant to the new higher going back to 2001, sorted by topic. I will post links here if anyone wants. It lets you see what type of questions the SQA asks for each topic. Remember, there is only so many questions that can be asked!

Also, don’t underestimate problem solving questions. (Again, got a booklet for this!) These are where the majority of people in my class trip up (including me!) Again, go through the past papers and you can see that there are only so many problem solving techniques that you need to know (%age increase/ decrease, describe trends, identify independent variable etc.) These should be easy marks, you don’t need to have studied higher biology to be able to answer them - you just need to know how to solve the problems posed.

Lastly, don’t forget to add what your predicted assignment mark to your prelim score - a lot of teachers seem to forget about this and consequently underestimate what grade you can achieve. Hth 😊
Reply 18
Original post by QIsForCucumber
Well, for sciences, past papers really are the way to go, in my opinion. I don’t know why you’d want to save them - I would’ve been lost without them by now! There’s no point doing them all 3 weeks before the exam and then realising you can’t do half the questions in them!

I’ve got a booklet for unit 1 and 2 (+ I will have unit 3 when we’ve finished the course) that contains every PPQ that is relevant to the new higher going back to 2001, sorted by topic. I will post links here if anyone wants. It lets you see what type of questions the SQA asks for each topic. Remember, there is only so many questions that can be asked!

Also, don’t underestimate problem solving questions. (Again, got a booklet for this!) These are where the majority of people in my class trip up (including me!) Again, go through the past papers and you can see that there are only so many problem solving techniques that you need to know (%age increase/ decrease, describe trends, identify independent variable etc.) These should be easy marks, you don’t need to have studied higher biology to be able to answer them - you just need to know how to solve the problems posed.

Lastly, don’t forget to add what your predicted assignment mark to your prelim score - a lot of teachers seem to forget about this and consequently underestimate what grade you can achieve. Hth 😊

Would you mind posting the unit booklets please? My class for the last week have only focused on probelm solving questions so I’m feeling confident about them
Original post by s.salihxo
How do you study for biology, I'm trying so hard to study biology but every time we have assessment I always get 30% and I failed the Prelim... got 30% I think I'm cursed, but I don't know how to answer biology question properly like I know what I want to say but that's not what I write

:wavey:

I saw your post above in the other thread and thought you might find this thread helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending