The Student Room Group

Are people who post selfies vain or insecure?

Do you think they are confident (perhaps vain) and think they're attractive or do you think they are insecure in how they look so are seeking validation?

Is there another reason for it?
Is it a combination of the two?
If you post selfies, why?

Just curious because I never really understood selfies but most people I know upload them. I don't mean sending snapchats btw, I mean facebook, instagram etc.
Reply 1
Neither, they’re just comfortable in their own skin.
Another reason could be that they're attention-seeking, such as desperate for likes and comments. Or maybe they have nothing else better to do with their life.

A combination of the two wouldn't make sense. It's typically obvious from their facial expression whether it's out of vanity or insecurity.

I only post selfies every now and then, and that's only on Instagram. No point having Instagram otherwise :s-smilie:
Its an interesting point. Once I was in this cafe and the girl just pulled out her phone and took a selfie and I couldn't think of anything else but how embarrassed I would be if that were me - taking a picture of yourself in such a small space and how vain it was - but this is just my opinion - I am not saying everyone who takes a selfie is vain btw
It makes sense to post selfies on Instagram alongside other photos, seeing as Instagram is a social media platform where you can share photographs. some people probably do upload selfies for likes/to gain validation for their likes, but truth be told, selfies are a common thing nowadays. Everyone uploads them. It's no big deal. I'd say the majority upload them for fun. It is social media after all, and it's up to them. I only post the odd photograph of myself on Facebook and 9 times out of 10, it's to change my profile picture. I hate posting photos on Facebook due to my heavy self-consciousness, but I post them a bit more regularly on Insta because like I said, it's a social media for photos. Most people I know upload selfies for fun. I wouldn't say it's out of vain or insecurity; this only applies to the minority, I reckon.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian
It makes sense to post selfies on Instagram alongside other photos, seeing as Instagram is a social media platform where you can share photographs. some people probably do upload selfies for likes/to gain validation for their likes, but truth be told, selfies are a common thing nowadays. Everyone uploads them. It's no big deal. I'd say the majority upload them for fun. It is social media after all, and it's up to them. I only post the odd photograph of myself on Facebook and 9 times out of 10, it's to change my profile picture. I hate posting photos on Facebook due to my heavy self-consciousness, but I post them a bit more regularly on Insta because like I said, it's a social media for photos. Most people I know upload selfies for fun. I wouldn't say it's out of vain or insecurity; this only applies to the majority, I reckon.

Yeah no I get that, I don't think too much of casual selfies when someone's out and about doing something fun. I'm talking more when the person has clearly spent about half an hour posing and fixing themselves where it's supposed to be a nice flattering pic, not like them just woken up in morning.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah no I get that, I don't think too much of casual selfies when someone's out and about doing something fun. I'm talking more when the person has clearly spent about half an hour posing and fixing themselves where it's supposed to be a nice flattering pic, not like them just woken up in morning.

Ah, right. Well then. If that's the case, I'd say it's either for likes/validation for their looks. Sorry, I thought you meant selfies in general.
Reply 7
People post selfies because they feel comfortable in their skin and it also helps there confidence. But it doesn’t mean there’re vain unless they post loads selfies then it is vain.
Original post by georgem93
Neither, they’re just comfortable in their own skin.

lol
If it's a posey "look how pretty I am" picture, then yes that's vanity. But pretty much everyone is vain, so.:lol:
Reply 10
It's only insecure if they caption it "omg look how ugly I am".
For memories?? Because you like the way you look? Doesn't make them insecure or vain whatsoever.
Original post by FloralLuxe
For memories?? Because you like the way you look? Doesn't make them insecure or vain whatsoever.

Those precious moments stood in one's bedroom or bathroom doing nothing really must be captured and shared with the world to be comemmorated.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Those precious moments stood in one's bedroom or bathroom doing nothing really must be captured and shared with the world to be comemmorated.

I know this is sarcasm. When you look and feel good, sometimes you gotta let other people see cos it's selfish. Also, selfies are important cos when you look back you can see just how happy you were that day and what emotions you're feeling
Reply 14
It'd be much easier if people just owned their narcissism instead of doing mental gymnastics to try and avoid copping to it.
Depends on the frequency, I think it's normal to have a couple of pictures of yourself on social media, but incessant posting is usually indicative of vanity and attention seeking.
Original post by FloralLuxe
I know this is sarcasm. When you look and feel good, sometimes you gotta let other people see cos it's selfish. Also, selfies are important cos when you look back you can see just how happy you were that day and what emotions you're feeling

What emotion does duckface signal?
Original post by Anonymous
Do you think they are confident (perhaps vain) and think they're attractive or do you think they are insecure in how they look so are seeking validation?

Is there another reason for it?
Is it a combination of the two?
If you post selfies, why?

Just curious because I never really understood selfies but most people I know upload them. I don't mean sending snapchats btw, I mean facebook, instagram etc.

I think it's for a lot of different reasons;

it can be someone who knows they're attractive or whatever using the likes and comments to boost their own confidence further.

It can also be insecure people who depend on the likes and comments (or whatever you do on insta, I have no idea - don't have it) for their sense of self and validation.

It can further be to socially fit in - that is it's commonplace now to throw everything up on fb and insta and whatever else, so it's just something that people do as part of social interaction like my gf uses snapchat but she always snapchats whatever is directly in front of her to just reply as if its a normal text - that's clearly just for social purpose. My point being insta and fb and that same applies, it just becomes habit to chuck up photos at times when you feel good or bored or whatever. As someone who avoids this sort of thing like the plague even I'm guilty of posting here and there because I think 'this'll look interesting on fb' for example I put my new car up because I was insanely proud and wanted people to notice it despite that not normally being part of my personality.

I never post selfies and I don't even use insta but I think it can be for a plethora of reasons - for example it was in the news kids got really angry if their snap streak got broken, so it can range from insecurity to personal validation, to bragging, to social factors and you'll only really know by asking the individual concerned.
For me, it's a matter of philanthropy.
Reply 19
never uploaded a selfie...do...do i win? o_o

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending