The Student Room Group

Applicant visit days

I am wondering if anybody has any advice on how useful or otherwise applicant visit days are. I have 5 offers and not really got any idea on which to make my firm choice. I intend to do my own thorough research into the courses for each but is it advisable to go to the applicant visit days? The disadvantages:
1. Very expensive train fares
2. Time spent not studying - five full days, especially in the run up to the exams
3. Speaking to people isn't exactly my forte
So yes, opinions please! Thanks in advance :smile:
I only went to the applicant day for my firm uni not any of the others and honestly it was a great decision! It was focused just on my course so I got to meet the lecturers, get a tour of the building and get a better feel about what lectures would be like. Also I got to see the city again as well as the accommodation.
Original post by DrawTheLine
I only went to the applicant day for my firm uni not any of the others and honestly it was a great decision! It was focused just on my course so I got to meet the lecturers, get a tour of the building and get a better feel about what lectures would be like. Also I got to see the city again as well as the accommodation.

Ooh I see - maybe I should go to just one of them but I have no idea which would be my firm choice! Maybe after doing some research I would have a better idea. Been meaning to do that for ages but so much work to keep up with at the moment!
Which was your firm choice?
I am torn between Exeter, Nottingham and East Anglia and the other two are Sussex and Aberystwyth - Aber was my safe choice but I got a really nice handwritten letter from them about the offer !
Original post by Spider&TheFly
Ooh I see - maybe I should go to just one of them but I have no idea which would be my firm choice! Maybe after doing some research I would have a better idea. Been meaning to do that for ages but so much work to keep up with at the moment!
I am torn between Exeter, Nottingham and East Anglia and the other two are Sussex and Aberystwyth - Aber was my safe choice but I got a really nice handwritten letter from them about the offer !

Sorry I don't want to say because my course is small, identification and all that. Have you been to any open days for these unis?
Original post by DrawTheLine
Sorry I don't want to say because my course is small, identification and all that. Have you been to any open days for these unis?

Ahh ok I get you! Been to all open days except for Exeter :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Spider&amp

I got an offer from East Anglia and will be going there 27 January and an interview at Kent so two out of 5 and probably will go to the other 3 because I’m bored and can’t decide yet
I would suggest you prioritise based on which unis/course you liked best and are likely to get the grades for. Perhaps go to the applicant day for your top 2 to decide your Firm.
Original post by Mancmike300
I would suggest you prioritise based on which unis/course you liked best and are likely to get the grades for. Perhaps go to the applicant day for your top 2 to decide your Firm.

thank you :smile:
Great question! It sounds like you're stuck between uni's - with that in mind, I'd highly recommend attending at least a couple of applicant days as they can be the deciding factor in helping you make your choice.

I attended the UEA Open Day and the Applicant Day, and made my firm choice on the applicant day. As classes are still running, you get the great insight of seeing what the university is like on an normal day. Plus, applicant days are perfect if you're shy and don't like talking to people, as the group sizes are smaller than the main open day and you get the chance to talk to the academics one-on-one.

If you're worried about travel costs, there is a Travel Fund at UEA for visit days that might be worth looking into :h: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/visit-days/travel-fund

If you're concerned about time, the applicant days aren't as long as the main days, and the train journeys are a great opportunity to fit revision in :wink:

What subject are you interested in studying? :smile:

- Laura, UEA Official Rep
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by University of East Anglia
Great question! It sounds like you're stuck between uni's - with that in mind, I'd highly recommend attending at least a couple of applicant days as they can be the deciding factor in helping you make your choice.

I attended the UEA Open Day and the Applicant Day, and made my firm choice on the applicant day. As classes are still running, you get the great insight of seeing what the university is like on an normal day. Plus, applicant days are perfect if you're shy and don't like talking to people, as the group sizes are smaller than the main open day and you get the chance to talk to the academics one-on-one.

If you're worried about travel costs, there is a Travel Fund at UEA for visit days that might be worth looking into :h: https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/visit/visit-days/travel-fund

If you're concerned about time, the applicant days aren't as long as the main days, and the train journeys are a great opportunity to fit revision in :wink:

Very true thanks for the link i have been looking for the travel support as i am from Swansea

Hi! Thank you very much for your reply and advice. I have decided that it may be a good idea to visit three, which are likely to be Exeter, Sussex & UEA :smile: I am intending to study BA geography. Do you have any information about the course at UEA? Do you recommend the year in industry route and why?
Original post by Spider&TheFly
Hi! Thank you very much for your reply and advice. I have decided that it may be a good idea to visit three, which are likely to be Exeter, Sussex & UEA :smile: I am intending to study BA geography. Do you have any information about the course at UEA? Do you recommend the year in industry route and why?

I'm glad I could be of help! :biggrin:

The BA Geography courses have recently been accredited by the Royal Geographical Society with IBM. The accreditation helps to recognise skills and expertise of our geography graduates and is highly valued by prospective employers. The accreditation is effective from 2017 entry on-wards.

You can find information about the course on our course page here. I'd highly recommend talking to our dedicated admissions team for advice on the industry route, as they will be able to advice on each route within BA Georgraphy and the benefits for both. They can be reached at [email protected] or on +44 (0)1603 591515.

I hope this helps, and I hope you have a great time at the Applicant Days! :h:

I'm glad I could be of help! :biggrin:

The BA Geography courses have recently been accredited by the Royal Geographical Society with IBM. The accreditation helps to recognise skills and expertise of our geography graduates and is highly valued by prospective employers. The accreditation is effective from 2017 entry on-wards.

You can find information about the course on our course page here. I'd highly recommend talking to our dedicated admissions team for advice on the industry route, as they will be able to advice on each route within BA Georgraphy and the benefits for both. They can be reached at [email protected] or on +44 (0)1603 591515.

I hope this helps, and I hope you have a great time at the Applicant Days! :h:

Thank you so much!! :call::call::woo::woo:
I'm only going to the one's that I think will be my firm and insurance :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending