The Student Room Group

How do clever people smash it with exams

Hey guys do you know how clever people smash exams other than revising because there are some people who don't put that much effort into their work and they still get good grades. How is that possible?Can someone give me detailed advice of what to do as I feel on the edge of a tower. Idk what I'm gonna do because it's 2 weeks left till mocks
Reply 1
they do revise. They just don't want to tell others. They want to feel like snowflakes. :smile:
Original post by ePret
they do revise. They just don't want to tell others. They want to feel like snowflakes. :smile:

^^^
Original post by Freshyeezys01
Hey guys do you know how clever people smash exams other than revising because there are some people who don't put that much effort into their work and they still get good grades. How is that possible?Can someone give me detailed advice of what to do as I feel on the edge of a tower. Idk what I'm gonna do because it's 2 weeks left till mocks

because they don't waste time on TSR instead of revising
As someone who never really revised as such, the main tip I can give you is this: do past papers. They are the best resource to learn/revise with, in my opinion. If you get stuck, look at the mark scheme, attempt the question again and move on. If you still can't do the question, don't sweat it. Just do another paper and you may find it suddenly *clicks*. I hardly ever make notes and can never revise by looking over any. As far as subjects without past papers, I have no advice. There are also numerous youtube channels that have condensed revision in under an hour (if you let me know what subjects you need help with, I can find some resources (GCSE?))

Remember to give yourself time to relax, if you're too stressed, you're just going to forget everything and panic even more. It's not the end of the world if you don't do as well as you would have liked to.

Good luck with your mocks!
(edited 6 years ago)
It's about getting it the first time round so you don't have to revise as much - make most of your time in class!
If you do need help revising, my revision techniques are that I spend time going through all the content (making spider diagrams and posters and just general note taking) so that I've learnt all the facts, then completing past papers and marking them to improve exam technique.
I find there's no point doing a past paper before you've thoroughly revised the content, because all I end up with is an asterisk on like every question with a side note saying "REVISE THIS TOPIC", so content first, then exam technique!

It's not about how much time you put in. It's how well you revise. Do past paper questions on the topics you struggle with. There is little point in revising something if you're already super-confident on it. If you struggle to learn the content, write out a summary for each topic and make it as brief as possible while still including the key points.

Also, some people may not appear to put in much work, but they actually do.
Reply 7
Original post by FryOfTheMann
As someone who never really revised as such, the main tip I can give you is this: do past papers. They are the best resource to learn/revise with, in my opinion. If you get stuck, look at the mark scheme, attempt the question again and move on. If you still can't do the question, don't sweat it. Just do another paper and you may find it suddenly *clicks*. I hardly ever make notes and can never revise by looking over any. As far as subjects without past papers, I have no advice. There are also numerous youtube channels that have condensed revision in under an hour (if you let me know what subjects you need help with, I can find some resources (GCSE?))

Remember to give yourself time to relax, if you're too stressed, you're just going to forget everything and panic even more. It's not the end of the world if you don't do as well as you would have liked to.

Good luck with your mocks!

Hi do you have any resources for gcse RE and Biology gcse?
Thanks

Natural ability can help - But nobody gets a row of A/A* grades with zero effort. You may have to work a bit harder if you’re not as naturally able in the subject but there’s not a trick that ‘clever’ people have.

Just work hard and you’ll get there.
hard work
Original post by TheMindGarage
It's not about how much time you put in. It's how well you revise. Do past paper questions on the topics you struggle with. There is little point in revising something if you're already super-confident on it. If you struggle to learn the content, write out a summary for each topic and make it as brief as possible while still including the key points.

Also, some people may not appear to put in much work, but they actually do.

This is absolutely brilliant! Definitely trying this :biggrin: I recently thought of doing past papers but now that you mentioned the fact about putting the harder questions first, I think I could save a LOT of time! There's questions repeating and not to mention that despite being easy, they take up a lot of time so why waste time on something I know I can do while there's others that I absolutely loathe when exam time shows up. I'm noting this!
Reply 11
So for major exams, almost anybody who gives half a crap is going to revise in some way.
However with some assessments, I don't usually revise and I do well. I'm not trying to sound obnoxious in anyway but I've had this conversation with my friends as well. It's not about being clever or abnormally intelligent in any way. It's just that people doze off and joke around in class, then study their asses off the night before the exam and get crappy grades. As someone mentioned before, make the best of your time in class. It's not about understanding the concept on the whole, it's about exploring its nuances. I find that if you're personally invested in learning about something, you do better. It's not a natural talent or anything, it's just that you'll think about it. For example if you're learning about Newton's equation s=ut+0.5at^2, if you care about it, you'll think what that implies. What happens if there's no initial velocity? Is this true about everything in motion? What could the graph of this look like?
of course that's just an example. But to sum up, he attentive in class, ask enough so that you feel ready to teach it to someone, and try to create the interest for yourself. It really helps
Original post by etel
Hi do you have any resources for gcse RE and Biology gcse?
Thanks

Hi!
I took Edexcel RE with the following units:
Believing in God
Life and death
Marriage and the family
Religion and community cohesion
Rights and responsibilities
Environmental and medical issues
Peace and conflict
Crime and punishment

For RE I recommend using the textbook to create a mindmap/bullet points for each topic, they don't have to be large or detailed but make sure you have the key words for each topic. If you are taking the same exam as I did, it began with a 2 marker which was a definition (learn these) then a 4 mark personal opinion question (as far as I can remember). For question b, you can pretend to be any faith (or no faith at all) in order to maximise your marks. This question is all about justifying any points you make. Question c was the large 8 mark question. For this question you want 4 key points which you should then expand on or explain. If you can't think of explanations, perhaps list 2 additional reasons. I can't quite recall what question d was like but we definitely got marked on spelling and grammar in question c. My main resource was the textbook.

It is useful to practise past exam questions for RE as it becomes really easy once you know the way to structure your answers, with the key information.

As for biology (I took AQA), I found a very useful YouTube channel called Primrose kitten who uploaded 30-60 minute revision videos for the whole science modules (definitely AQA, maybe OCR too). Biology is a subject where you want to do more past papers than spending time reading the textbook over and over as it is large. You'll find that the papers ask similar questions time and time again so be sure to learn key questions.

I hope this helped.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending