The Student Room Group

University Offers- Help Please!!

Hi, so I've so far gained offers from King's College London (AAA, one being in psychology) and another for Nottingham (unconditional if I make it my firm choice).

I really love king's and haven't actually visited Nottingham (it was an insurance choice), however I transferred to a different college for this final year of my A Levels and, due to their poorer teaching standards, am falling relatively behind in my studies.

Does anyone know whether King's are kind and allow for exceptions for prospective students who don't necessarily get the grades? Or should I just go for an easier (albeit defeatist) option which insures my place at university next year?

I plan to contact Nottingham about visiting them, but out of the five universities I have visited King's had such an incredible atmosphere.. I'm not sure a campus uni can rival that?

Sorry if it seems a stupid question; it's just on my mind a lot at the moment and I'd be grateful to hear anyone's perspective!
I want to apply for Psychology at Kings! What are your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking?
Original post by thewhiterose99
Hi, so I've so far gained offers from King's College London (AAA, one being in psychology) and another for Nottingham (unconditional if I make it my firm choice).

I really love king's and haven't actually visited Nottingham (it was an insurance choice), however I transferred to a different college for this final year of my A Levels and, due to their poorer teaching standards, am falling relatively behind in my studies.

Does anyone know whether King's are kind and allow for exceptions for prospective students who don't necessarily get the grades? Or should I just go for an easier (albeit defeatist) option which insures my place at university next year?

I plan to contact Nottingham about visiting them, but out of the five universities I have visited King's had such an incredible atmosphere.. I'm not sure a campus uni can rival that?

Sorry if it seems a stupid question; it's just on my mind a lot at the moment and I'd be grateful to hear anyone's perspective!

Nottingham is still a really good university (I’m not sure about the stats for your specific course though) and it also has a good reputation. So accepting the unconditional would but a lot less pressure on you and might make you feel more at ease over the summer after your exams.

I’m in a similar position however with an offer from Bath and an unconditional from Royal Holloway. I loved Bath when I visited but haven’t visited Royal Holloway yet. If you have your heart set on Kings College just try to work your back side off to get there because you might regret not getting the opportunity to go there. On the other hand, you might equally love Nottingham.

I’d suggest visiting Nottingham, looking on Unistats and talking to past students in the meantime
Original post by noor.m
I want to apply for Psychology at Kings! What are your predicted grades if you don’t mind me asking?

Yeah that's okay! I'm predicted A*'s for Philosophy, Film Studies & Psychology, and A for English Language. However, this is due to me getting A's for AS at my college last year.. which had reliable teaching standards!

Have you thought about anywhere else you're applying?
Original post by Beth_anniex99
Nottingham is still a really good university (I’m not sure about the stats for your specific course though) and it also has a good reputation. So accepting the unconditional would but a lot less pressure on you and might make you feel more at ease over the summer after your exams.

I’m in a similar position however with an offer from Bath and an unconditional from Royal Holloway. I loved Bath when I visited but haven’t visited Royal Holloway yet. If you have your heart set on Kings College just try to work your back side off to get there because you might regret not getting the opportunity to go there. On the other hand, you might equally love Nottingham.

I’d suggest visiting Nottingham, looking on Unistats and talking to past students in the meantime

I'm so reassured that I'm not alone in this situation, though also sorry you have the tricky decision too! Are you thinking of aiming for Bath or giving Royal Holloway a chance depending upon your visit?
I'm so reassured that I'm not alone in this situation, though also sorry you have the tricky decision too! Are you thinking of aiming for Bath or giving Royal Holloway a chance depending upon your visit?

I am going to visit Royal Holloway first for an applicant day but I fell in love with Bath when I went originally so I am aiming for there. I think that I would be frustrated with my self if I didn’t get the entry requirements for Bath anyway so I shall try to met them. Also, since Bath doesn’t do clearing I don’t think I want to risk not putting them as my firm and going through the system again on results day in case I change my mind
Original post by Beth_anniex99
I am going to visit Royal Holloway first for an applicant day but I fell in love with Bath when I went originally so I am aiming for there. I think that I would be frustrated with my self if I didn’t get the entry requirements for Bath anyway so I shall try to met them. Also, since Bath doesn’t do clearing I don’t think I want to risk not putting them as my firm and going through the system again on results day in case I change my mind

If Bath don't do clearing and you felt so passionately for it then yeah, that does make a lot of sense! Thanks for such a relatable piece of advice :smile:
If Bath don't do clearing and you felt so passionately for it then yeah, that does make a lot of sense! Thanks for such a relatable piece of advice :smile:

No problem! If you have anymore questions don’t hesitate to ask me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending