The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Hello,
Perhaps you can help.
I'd like to apply for a taught masters at Oxford.
My first and second year results are 85% and 87%.
Would I stand a good chance?
Also, would I stand a good chance for scholarships and bursaries to help with tuition fees?
What bursaries would be available to me with these grades?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by JohnSmithSA
Hello,
Perhaps you can help.
I'd like to apply for a taught masters at Oxford.
My first and second year results are 85% and 87%.
Would I stand a good chance?
Also, would I stand a good chance for scholarships and bursaries to help with tuition fees?
What bursaries would be available to me with these grades?

I think they'll definitely let you in, given that you've mastered time travel. In another thread you're a first-year who has just scored 94% in your very first essay, and here you're in your third year looking at postgrad courses.
Original post by InvisibleDuck
I think they'll definitely let you in, given that you've mastered time travel. In another thread you're a first-year who has just scored 94% in your very first essay, and here you're in your third year looking at postgrad courses.

Hahahaha. I wish I could timetravel back to primary school but that's not gunna happen. 3rd year really knows how to kick you down. Trying to apply for Oxbridge for postgrad but think I don't stand a chance as 2nd year I perfomed very well 74% but 1st year was 62% 😓
I'm doing a Masters at Oxford currently and want to apply to stay and do a DPhil. But I don't like my college. Do you think it would be weird if I put down a different one as my preference this time round??
Reply 124
I did my interview today. It was terrible.

First they asked me a relatively simple PDE question. It had nothing to do with my expertise and it involved using methods I didn't remember exactly. I managed to arrive at the correct solution, but just after some help. Also, I was very nervous since it was an unexpected topic.

Also, I was surprised that this was the only technical question they asked me. The remaining of the interview was about my present work, which I was able to explain decently. And after that I talked a little about my research plans, which went smoothly. I was expecting hard technical questions about my work since they know a lot about my field, but they asked none.

How important are these random technical questions? I mean, is it something "formal" and they don't care very much or does it play a huge part on their decision? (The answer is probably "It depends", but it would be nice to hear some people sharing their experience about that)
Hey everyone, I'm applying for a research master's at Oxford and have managed to secure a supervisor for a one year project. Now putting the finishing touches to my application and hoping to send it off next week!

Does anyone know how likely admission is if you have already agreed a project with a supervisor? I'm obviously throwing everything I can at the application regardless but just trying to get a feel of my chances at this point. I also got a high 1st class (87%) in my undergrad and have practical work experience in my chosen subject.

Any info or advice would be really helpful. Thanks!
Original post by Mental Health TK
Hey everyone, I'm applying for a research master's at Oxford and have managed to secure a supervisor for a one year project. Now putting the finishing touches to my application and hoping to send it off next week!

Does anyone know how likely admission is if you have already agreed a project with a supervisor? I'm obviously throwing everything I can at the application regardless but just trying to get a feel of my chances at this point. I also got a high 1st class (87%) in my undergrad and have practical work experience in my chosen subject.

Any info or advice would be really helpful. Thanks!

Which subject? :smile:
Original post by Artfemvegan
Which subject? :smile:

The MSc by Research in Psychiatry. Are you applying for a research master's too?
People who applied for MSc in CS, have you heard about the interview yet?
Original post by Mental Health TK
The MSc by Research in Psychiatry. Are you applying for a research master's too?

Yes also research, not psychiatry however. I am wondering whether to reach out to a potential supervisor or not at the moment, as my subject website doesn't mention this - in fact it says you are not required to note on your application a potential supervisor.

Beyond confused, I feel as though a lot of these questions would be answered if there was an official Oxford postgraduate open day.

I would be very surprised if you didn't get in considering a supervisor has said they are willing to supervise!
Hi.. !

I have a few questions about doing a Masters in History at Oxford. I couldn't find any other threads of information, I'm choosing between Modern European History 1850 - present, and US history (But probably leaning more towards European history)

if anyone has done either of these courses, or in general a Mst in history at Oxford please send me a message! As I'm a bit stuck at the moment, having already graduated last year I feel a bit out of touch. Would like some advice in terms of statement of purpose and my research proposal.

In terms of the application process.. it mentions that for modern european history, you have the chance to improve modern foreign languages, does this mean you can take language classes?

For the CV/ resume, is this a standard CV with academic, work related achievements, or also a covering letter?
For the essay, it says it requires '2 of 2,000 words each or one essay of 4 - 5,000 words'.
I have essays that were 3,000 words each. Should I just send one, or two? Thanks so much if anyone can help!
Original post by 01234567
Hi.. !

I have a few questions about doing a Masters in History at Oxford. I couldn't find any other threads of information, I'm choosing between Modern European History 1850 - present, and US history (But probably leaning more towards European history)

if anyone has done either of these courses, or in general a Mst in history at Oxford please send me a message! As I'm a bit stuck at the moment, having already graduated last year I feel a bit out of touch. Would like some advice in terms of statement of purpose and my research proposal.

In terms of the application process.. it mentions that for modern european history, you have the chance to improve modern foreign languages, does this mean you can take language classes?

For the CV/ resume, is this a standard CV with academic, work related achievements, or also a covering letter?
For the essay, it says it requires '2 of 2,000 words each or one essay of 4 - 5,000 words'.
I have essays that were 3,000 words each. Should I just send one, or two? Thanks so much if anyone can help!

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Applying for History department (History of art/Visual culture course) MSt.

No idea about balance of personal information and research proposal in my personal statement, someone else told me 50/50 split but I'm not sure if this is right.

I'm too confused about the CV and what to include, like are Oxford really gonna care if I worked in retail for four years. Is it just information regarding internships, modules from uni.

With essays, all of my uni essays are 3000 words. So I'm including 2000 word samples of both, marking "the following paragraph has not been included in this writing sample, due to word limitations for the written word sample]" where I've cut stuff out.

So confused, if you get anywhere with answers please let me know.
Applied to the MSc in Evidence Based Social Policy and Intervention Evaluation course!

So excited to hear back! Also applying to MPP/MPA dual degree at Sciences Po/Columbia

LSE/LSHTM collaborative MSc Health Policy, Planning, Finance
Guys I have a quick question on the written pieces that have to be submitted in. I'm currently applying for Mphil Economics and they require 1x 2000word essay. So would that essay come from previous coursework that I did a 2000 word assignment on or would they prefer for me to do a brand new 2000 word from scratch. And if I got a low 2.1 in first year and 1st in 2nd year would that be sufficient to apply. I'm 3rd year by the way.
Thanks guys!!!
Original post by Artfemvegan
Yes also research, not psychiatry however. I am wondering whether to reach out to a potential supervisor or not at the moment, as my subject website doesn't mention this - in fact it says you are not required to note on your application a potential supervisor.

Beyond confused, I feel as though a lot of these questions would be answered if there was an official Oxford postgraduate open day.

I would be very surprised if you didn't get in considering a supervisor has said they are willing to supervise!

Yeah I feel the same way. I went to the Cambridge open day and it was super helpful.

Oh really? Well I guess if it doesn't specify then you should be alright!

Have you looked into funding at all? There are a few scholarships everyone is automatically considered for that cover tuition fees, college fees and living costs, but I'm not sure if you need to apply for further funding for research costs etc. :/ I don't think you do, not entirely sure though.

Do you have much research experience?
Has anyone submitted their application by the November deadline? When are we expecting to hear back from them? The waiting game is the worst.
Original post by Shooshtastic
Has anyone submitted their application by the November deadline? When are we expecting to hear back from them? The waiting game is the worst.

I expect to receive an e-mail anytime from December 18th! Last year, for my MSc (in Social Science of the Internet) some people got their acceptance/rejection on December 21st.

I am VERY anxious, this waiting is the worst indeed.

They sent me an email saying I should hear back around mid December...
Original post by oxhopeful
I expect to receive an e-mail anytime from December 18th! Last year, for my MSc (in Social Science of the Internet) some people got their acceptance/rejection on December 21st.

I am VERY anxious, this waiting is the worst indeed.

Really? I was only accepting an answer around the end of January!

I did, for MSc in Global Governance and Diplomacy.

I'm not expecting to hear from them before January though. Apparently it takes around 8-10 weeks to hear back.

Latest

Trending

Trending