The Student Room Group

Uni deadline on Friday and I haven't started!

Okay, so, I have a deadline for an assignment on Friday, and I'm really, really screwed right now. Hear me out, lol.

My sleeping pattern has been ballsed up for so long, to the point where I think I have some sort of sleep disorder. No matter how hard I try to fix it, I can't, it always ends up back to how I sleep now (usually fall asleep at 6am).

This isn't a problem on Wednesday's and Thursday's - I start class at 1pm and usually wake up at 11am. It's a lot easier to wake up then, don't get me wrong, I'm exhausted, but I can cope.

But on Fridays, I'm supposed to be up at 7:30am to get to uni for 9am. I genuinely cannot do it. I am in a constant state of exhaustion, which is making my mental health so much worse.

I just found out yesterday that I have an assignment due on Friday for a class that I've never been able to make. I know what to do, or at least I think, so I can start it, but I also have a maths exam tomorrow which I desperately need to revise otherwise I'll fail it.

I'm panicking because I really really don't want to fail. I'm kicking myself, hard, for missing these classes and not finding out about this assignment sooner. But I genuinely can't sleep - I've been keeping a sleep tracker and everything so I can go to the doctor and hopefully get some help and find out what's causing my sleep problems.

What should I do? Am I completely f***ed? Is it worth emailing my tutor explaining my sleeping issues and trying to get an extension for at least the weekend so I can finish it?

I'm completely at a loss right now, I hate myself for it! I hope I don't sound like I'm just lazy - believe me, it's not laziness. I wish it was!
Original post by Galahad_
Okay, so, I have a deadline for an assignment on Friday, and I'm really, really screwed right now. Hear me out, lol.

My sleeping pattern has been ballsed up for so long, to the point where I think I have some sort of sleep disorder. No matter how hard I try to fix it, I can't, it always ends up back to how I sleep now (usually fall asleep at 6am).

This isn't a problem on Wednesday's and Thursday's - I start class at 1pm and usually wake up at 11am. It's a lot easier to wake up then, don't get me wrong, I'm exhausted, but I can cope.

But on Fridays, I'm supposed to be up at 7:30am to get to uni for 9am. I genuinely cannot do it. I am in a constant state of exhaustion, which is making my mental health so much worse.

I just found out yesterday that I have an assignment due on Friday for a class that I've never been able to make. I know what to do, or at least I think, so I can start it, but I also have a maths exam tomorrow which I desperately need to revise otherwise I'll fail it.

I'm panicking because I really really don't want to fail. I'm kicking myself, hard, for missing these classes and not finding out about this assignment sooner. But I genuinely can't sleep - I've been keeping a sleep tracker and everything so I can go to the doctor and hopefully get some help and find out what's causing my sleep problems.

What should I do? Am I completely f***ed? Is it worth emailing my tutor explaining my sleeping issues and trying to get an extension for at least the weekend so I can finish it?

I'm completely at a loss right now, I hate myself for it! I hope I don't sound like I'm just lazy - believe me, it's not laziness. I wish it was!

Try for an extension, but tbh I doubt they will believe you. They would if you had medical evidence, but because you havent made any effort to see the doctor or give them prior warning it just looks like you have been lazy. You have to take responsibility for it.

Gii and see the doctor today if you cna, get on the phine at 9am.

For the exam get someone else to wake you up.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Try for an extension, but tbh I doubt they will believe you. They would if you had medical evidence, but because you havent made any effort to see the doctor or give them prior warning it just looks like you have been lazy. You have to take responsibility for it.

Gii and see the doctor today if you cna, get on the phine at 9am.

For the exam get someone else to wake you up.

That's what I was worried about. I can probably finish it the next couple of evenings - but I'm going to make an emergency appointment with my GP at 8am so I can speak to the doctor. :smile:

Honestly, I know it's my fault. I should of checked before, I've been so rammed with other assignments and personal things but I'm a complete t**t for not realising. I'm gonna try and bang it out as well as I can.

For the exam, that's not an issue. It starts at 1pm, so as long as I get at least a couple of hours of sleep, I'm gucci.

Thank you for the advice! I'll make a GP appointment today. I honestly need some form of sleeping tablets to help me sleep, even if I only take them on a Thursday night, or something.
That's what I was worried about. I can probably finish it the next couple of evenings - but I'm going to make an emergency appointment with my GP at 8am so I can speak to the doctor. :smile:

Honestly, I know it's my fault. I should of checked before, I've been so rammed with other assignments and personal things but I'm a complete t**t for not realising. I'm gonna try and bang it out as well as I can.

For the exam, that's not an issue. It starts at 1pm, so as long as I get at least a couple of hours of sleep, I'm gucci.

Thank you for the advice! I'll make a GP appointment today. I honestly need some form of sleeping tablets to help me sleep, even if I only take them on a Thursday night, or something.

The deadline exyension may be possible if you have a doctors note, but otherwise its just too convenient and lacks any credibility. You had all term and longer to get it sorted.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
The deadline exyension may be possible if you have a doctors note, but otherwise its just too convenient and lacks any credibility. You had all term and longer to get it sorted.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. I don't know why I didn't get it sorted sooner. I honestly have no idea why.

I'm going to go anyway and attempt to get meds - and just bang out the assignment. At least if I can get some meds to help with sleep, it'll be a lot easier to attend on Fridays, I suppose.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I don't know why I didn't get it sorted sooner. I honestly have no idea why.

I'm going to go anyway and attempt to get meds - and just bang out the assignment. At least if I can get some meds to help with sleep, it'll be a lot easier to attend on Fridays, I suppose.

Its better to put something in and then try for an exteniating circumstances claim when the medical support/ doctors diagnosis is there. They may allow to resubmit. Tlak to tutor and get it on record you have an issue and will be putting in an ec claim, whicch is better to mention before the deadline than after. Sometimes tutors have limited discretion and they cna allow 48 hours (depends on uni) and any extension at this late stage of aby days massively increases your workable time. Just have to make the most of it.
M

As someone said above, you’ve not made the effort to speak to a doctor for an actual diagnosis, from their perspective it looks like laziness.

Do try for a deadline extension, but be prepared to work hard.

Either way, good luck, and I hope things improve for you, academically and health wise.

Quick Reply

Latest