The Student Room Group

EUPHORIC'S JOURNEY TO ALL 8/7s@ GCSE

HIIIII:smile:
I know i'm a tad late to be starting a GYG (*cough* 2 and a half months late *cough*) but I saw a friend doing her blogs and it kinda motivated me to do my own! I feel like it will motivate me and others to revise and get the best grades possible!

A bit about me:
I'm in Year 11 and I'm 16 years old, I take English Lit, English Language, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History, Religious Studies, Textiles and Mandarin Chinese. I got to a pretty good state secondary school and I surprisingly enjoy school a lot! My favourite subjects are Maths, Chinese and Chemistry.

I hope to do Chemistry, Biology and Maths at A level but I don't really know what I want to do at Uni.:h:

Wishing everyone luck for their exams!:smile:
Euphoricgirl

Scroll to see replies

aha nice to see you on here:biggrin:
good luck with mocks, you're gonna be gr8 don't stress 'bout them:h:
buttttt obviously the real thing is more important...
i'm following you (both on here and elsewhere:wink:)
see ya around:smile:
Original post by Toastiekid
aha nice to see you on here:biggrin:
good luck with mocks, you're gonna be gr8 don't stress 'bout them:h:
buttttt obviously the real thing is more important...
i'm following you (both on here and elsewhere:wink:)
see ya around:smile:

Thanks!!! good luck with your mocks toooo!
I too am following you :wink::wink: just remember you're muscle memory and we'll slay mocks xx
So today was really good because we got our reports back(i didn't have school so I missed double maths :frown:) they had our predicted, target and current grades. I was quite worried because I wasn't sure about how well I did, but I was really happy with what I got and my teacher (surprisingly) told me I was doing really well and that I just need to maintain my revision and work hard in my mocks (they start in 8 days :smile::frown:) to get the grades I want.

My Current Grades
English Literature:7
English Language 6
Combined Science 6-6
History 6
Religious Studies 7
Textiles: A
Mandarin Chinese: C
Maths 8
so 1 a*, 3 as, 4bs and 1 C!!!!

My Targets/Predicted Grades for GCSE/Mocks
English Language:7
Combined Science:8-7
History:7
Religious Studies:7
Mandarin Chinese: A/A*
Maths:8 (but my teacher thinks I can get a 9!!)
so 3 a*s and 6 as!!!!!!

Overall I am over the moon with both my predicted and current grades, ideally I want all A*s! but I do need to work on science, R.S, History and English to do well in my mocks, and REALLY work on Chinese as I have a speaking controlled assessment which is basically a GCSE on Monday! :smile:

Hope everyone's revision is going well!
Euphoricgirl
(edited 6 years ago)
hey good luck with year 11!!!
im sure you'll smash your gcses xxx
Original post by mez_merising
hey good luck with year 11!!!
im sure you'll smash your gcses xxx

Thanks Mez!! Good luck with your exams too! xx
Original post by euphoricgirl
So today was really good because we got our reports back(i didn't have school so I missed double maths :frown:) they had our predicted, target and current grades. I was quite worried because I wasn't sure about how well I did, but I was really happy with what I got and my teacher (surprisingly) told me I was doing really well and that I just need to maintain my revision and work hard in my mocks (they start in 8 days :smile::frown:) to get the grades I want.

My Current Grades
English Language 6
Combined Science 6-6
History 6
Religious Studies 7
Mandarin Chinese: C
Maths 8
so 1 a*, 3 as, 4bs and 1 C!!!!

My Targets/Predicted Grades for GCSE/Mocks
English Language:7
Combined Science:8-7
History:7
Religious Studies:7
Mandarin Chinese: A/A*
Maths:8 (but my teacher thinks I can get a 9!!)
so 3 a*s and 6 as!!!!!!

Overall I am over the moon with both my predicted and current grades, ideally I want all A*s! but I do need to work on science, R.S, History and English to do well in my mocks, and REALLY work on Chinese as I have a speaking controlled assessment which is basically a GCSE on Monday! :smile:

Hope everyone's revision is going well!
Euphoricgirl

Good luck with Mandarin on Monday! I found my one went a lot better than expect but mainly because I actually learnt the answers to my questions the second time!
And good luck for mocks, they’re gonna be deadly but we’ll make it through them!:smile:
Good luck with Mandarin on Monday! I found my one went a lot better than expect but mainly because I actually learnt the answers to my questions the second time!
And good luck for mocks, they’re gonna be deadly but we’ll make it through them!:smile:

Thanks I need to learn them!!! I keep procrastinating!!!
24/11/2017

Today was pretty decent I had double physics and double maths(yayyy!!)
We learnt functions and the different types of functions and it was surprisingly easy! I've been really liking maths recently and I'm seriously thinking about taking it for A Level. I've also been entered into the Add maths mock coming up (I have never done any add maths so that was a shock) and I don't know if I am good enough at maths to do it!

In physics we did energy which was pretty good, it was simple enough but I just couldn't bring myself to do all the questions! I find physics so dull!!! The end of the day was double textiles and it was greattt!!! I just finished off some of my design developments and initial ideas.

When I got home i did:
biology revision
maths revision
a bit of poetry quote analysis
and some biology homework

My mocks start on Thursday and I'm weirdly excited!

Hope everyone had a great week/will have a great weekend!

Euphoricgirl
TOMORROW MOCKS START PROPERLY UGH
So my mocks start officially tomorrow and I'm excited to get them over with but also kinda worried as my mock grades will pretty much secure my place at sixth form.

TIMETABLE
Thursday (30th Nov): History, Textiles
Friday (1st Dec): English Lit 2, Maths 3
Monday (3rd Dec): Biology
Tuesday (4th Dec): Chinese
Wednesday (5th Dec): Chemistry
Thursday (6th Dec): English Lang 2, R.S.
Friday (7th Dec): Physics

I feel like our timetable is fairly relaxed as we only have a few days with more than one exam on them and I feel quite prepared for all of them, but I realllllly need to practice exam technique for essay subjects because that's usually where I lose marks in tests (cos I know the stuff but not how to answer the Qs).

We have already done 2 papers from maths and 2 papers from English, because our School/Teachers wanted them to be more spread out which honestly decreased my worryingly high stress levels to somewhat normal. After mocks though, there is a parents evening in January where we collect our mock results, target grades and predicted grades and discuss with our teachers where to go from there. January is also around the time where the 6th form I hope to go to (an all girls Grammar) will contact me on whether I'd got in or not and I would get a tour of the school/induction day!

I have also asked my teacher to take me off the add maths exam for now, as I think its too much for mocks! But I did hear that it would help with A Level maths so I'm very conflicted!!

Stuff I got done todayyyy

Textiles revision flashcards

History exam technique and looked over notes

Did some maths revision (in prep for Friday)

Learnt some quotes for English Lit

Good luck to everyone doing their mocks!
(edited 6 years ago)
So my mocks start officially tomorrow and I'm excited to get them over with but also kinda worried as my mock grades will pretty much secure my place at sixth form.

TIMETABLE

I feel like our timetable is fairly relaxed as we only have a few days with more than one exam on them and I feel quite prepared for all of them, but I realllllly need to practice exam technique for essay subjects because that's usually where I lose marks in tests (cos I know the stuff but not how to answer the Qs).

We have already done 2 papers from maths and 2 papers from English, because our School/Teachers wanted them to be more spread out which honestly decreased my worryingly high stress levels to somewhat normal. After mocks though, there is a parents evening in January where we collect our mock results, target grades and predicted grades and discuss with our teachers where to go from there. January is also around the time where the 6th form I hope to go to (an all girls Grammar) will contact me on whether I'd got in or not and I would get a tour of the school/induction day!

I have also asked my teacher to take me off the add maths exam for now, as I think its too much for mocks! But I did hear that it would help with A Level maths so I'm very conflicted!!

Good luck with today, if you know the facts and the exam technique you’ll ace this!:wink: Don’t loose confidence in the exam, get distracted by the invigilators (me in the end of year) or care about how much other people are writing. It doesn’t matter. What matters is what you do!

TIMETABLE

Good luck!! You'll be good as long as you've revised the content and you've practised your exam technique :smile:
Just remember to take care of yourself and breathe... clear your mind of clutter as you enter the exam.
Good luck with today, if you know the facts and the exam technique you’ll ace this!:wink: Don’t loose confidence in the exam, get distracted by the invigilators (me in the end of year) or care about how much other people are writing. It doesn’t matter. What matters is what you do!

Thanks!!! I found history good except for the hungary uprising question, I hated that one! Textiles was such a great paper too! How did you find it?
Original post by nyxnko_
Good luck!! You'll be good as long as you've revised the content and you've practised your exam technique :smile:
Just remember to take care of yourself and breathe... clear your mind of clutter as you enter the exam.

Thanks for the advice! It really did help in that exam hall, good luck to you too!!!!:smile:
Thanks for the advice! It really did help in that exam hall, good luck to you too!!!!:smile:

Thanks, but I don't have any mocks currently. Mine are in Jan which sucks coz I have to revise all through winter break AND they start on my birthday :frown:
Original post by nyxnko_
Thanks, but I don't have any mocks currently. Mine are in Jan which sucks coz I have to revise all through winter break AND they start on my birthday :frown:

Ugh I feel your pain! I had to do maths 1 and English language 1 on my birthday too.Revising through Christmas does NOT sound fun but I bet you'll smash your mocks in Jan!!
Ugh I feel your pain! I had to do maths 1 and English language 1 on my birthday too.Revising through Christmas does NOT sound fun but I bet you'll smash your mocks in Jan!!

Thanks!! :heart:
I'm sure you'll smash these mocks too! Of course the most important thing is to smash your final exams so try not to burn out :smile: The one thing I hated about GCSE was revising for so many different exams at once :frown:
Original post by nyxnko_
Thanks!! :heart:
I'm sure you'll smash these mocks too! Of course the most important thing is to smash your final exams so try not to burn out :smile: The one thing I hated about GCSE was revising for so many different exams at once :frown:

Ah yes GCSEs are quite bad in that way! I'll try not to burn out :smile: So what year are you in?
Ah yes GCSEs are quite bad in that way! I'll try not to burn out :smile: So what year are you in?

Year 12. Started AS Levels this year. It's definitely harder than GCSE but you're doing subjects that you want to do. And you can choose to do more similar subjects, so your subjects aren't all over the place.
God I feel old... I looked at the title and was so confused for a minute. 8s and 7s? Then I remembered! In my day.... 😂

Good luck! You’ll do great. Don’t worry yet scout what you want to do at uni- it’ll come to you when you’re doing your A Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest