The Student Room Group

How much revision have year 12's done since september?

How much revision have you done since september and has that revision payed off (i.e. any class tests you've had)
I do bio, chem and maths btw :smile:

4 hours after school (6-8 including free's as I only take 3 subjects and have too many free's :colondollar:)

2 hours on weekends (this should hopefully be bumped upto 5 hours)
Any answers appreciated :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

none
Original post by guccimane100
none

Cool :wink:
Original post by a_d2010
Cool :wink:

probably gonna start soon just wondering at what time do you come home and at what time do you start revising and how much breaks do you have during that 4 hour period as to me that seems bloody long mate. I come home from school at like 5pm
Hi!!!

I only take 3 subjects too which is the best decision of my life so far because I'm able to manage everything so well compared to some of my friends that have taken 4 alevels! I took similar to you: biology, chemistry and geography.

I have 11 free hours a week in school so I always use them for revision or homework and then I'll usually do say 1-2 hours after school each day. My revision ca majorly varies on the weekends though, for example, last weekend I didn't do anything because I didn't have any motivation and I just wanted some 'me' time and to be with my boyfriend but other weekends I might do anywhere from 2-6 hours.

In terms of grades it has really paid off! Last half term I got my 'current grade card' and I got A* (chem), A (bio), B (geog). In my latest tests I got an A in Chemistry (the only A in the class and the class average is E which really shows how much you really do need to revise at Alevel) and I got a B in Biology (Im quite happy with this because it was a SUPER hard test).
probably gonna start soon just wondering at what time do you come home and at what time do you start revising and how much breaks do you have during that 4 hour period as to me that seems bloody long mate. I come home from school at like 5pm

Man's aiming for the top innit :biggrin:, sorry but seriously, I cope home at 4:00, I start revision at 6:00 and end at 11:00 which 5 min breaks (I hate breaks) and watch lucifer and tuesdays :wink:, You're in GCSE so you don't have to revise as much as me but I'm aiming for A's in yr 12, so gotta do what you gotta do :h:
Original post by emma_louise1
Hi!!!

I only take 3 subjects too which is the best decision of my life so far because I'm able to manage everything so well compared to some of my friends that have taken 4 alevels! I took similar to you: biology, chemistry and geography.

I have 11 free hours a week in school so I always use them for revision or homework and then I'll usually do say 1-2 hours after school each day. My revision ca majorly varies on the weekends though, for example, last weekend I didn't do anything because I didn't have any motivation and I just wanted some 'me' time and to be with my boyfriend but other weekends I might do anywhere from 2-6 hours.

In terms of grades it has really paid off! Last half term I got my 'current grade card' and I got A* (chem), A (bio), B (geog). In my latest tests I got an A in Chemistry (the only A in the class and the class average is E which really shows how much you really do need to revise at Alevel) and I got a B in Biology (Im quite happy with this because it was a SUPER hard test).

Thanks babes :smile:, are you in yr 12 or 13?
Original post by a_d2010
Thanks babes :smile:, are you in yr 12 or 13?

year 12:groovy:
Original post by emma_louise1
year 12:groovy:

That's not possible, then how did you get an A* in chemistry, the highest you can get in yr 12 is an A?
Reply 9
I remember year 12 was a huge jump and people don’t realise it till they are actually doing a levels
I’m also doing bio, chem, maths (and English lit as a fourth) :h:

To be honest, I do the bare minimum of revision after school - I only revise what I’ve covered in class and go through the next topic. The majority of revision I do is on Saturday, and is about 5 hours.

I have literally no frees - only 5 a week. I guess that’s what happens when you take a fourth.

But it’s mocks in 2 weeks I’m going to start properly this week (meaning Friday NOT today :colondollar:)
Original post by a_d2010
That's not possible, then how did you get an A* in chemistry, the highest you can get in yr 12 is an A?

It was the way the teacher graded the class test we had done beforehand which were the grades that went onto the grade cards. I don't know tbh, it's just the way that the teacher did it
None really. I've started doing some physics here and there. I do maths but that's more as a hobby.
Original post by a_d2010

Some schools don't do AS in year 12, they do the full A Level meaning that year 12s can get A* grades.
Original post by Deliciate
Some schools don't do AS in year 12, they do the full A Level meaning that year 12s can get A* grades.

Really, I didn't know that?
what did u get at gcse if u dont mind me asking?
Original post by a_d2010
Really, I didn't know that?

Yeah your school pays for you to sit the AS exam because they believe it to be a better indicator of your final year 13 A Level results because you have the same exam pressure and it's an external exam so examiners mark it. However, with those doing the full A Level course in year 12, the exam in May-June they sit is essentially a mock because it's marked by teachers. Both are used as predicated grades though.
what did u get at gcse if u dont mind me asking?

an A*, 4A's 4B's and a C
Hi, I do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology.

I've been revising as I go along really, writing up my notes and occasionally reviewing them. I've had a couple of small tests in chemistry in which I got A+ and then a mock last week where I got an A. Biology, I got an A- in the recent mock. Psychology A+ in the latest two essays and maths I'm yet to know how I'm doing. My revision has definitely been paying off though! I expected to start off by getting C and B grades but guess not! Constant reviewing of notes is key.
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
Hi, I do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology.

I've been revising as I go along really, writing up my notes and occasionally reviewing them. I've had a couple of small tests in chemistry in which I got A+ and then a mock last week where I got an A. Biology, I got an A- in the recent mock. Psychology A+ in the latest two essays and maths I'm yet to know how I'm doing. My revision has definitely been paying off though! I expected to start off by getting C and B grades but guess not! Constant reviewing of notes is key.

Thanks, can i ask a few questions :h::
1) Do you do flashcards and/or questions (from textbook or online etc.) as you go along
2) I do the same amount of revision as you but I got B's and c's in my chemistry and biology class tests (I just got 1 A in biology), why do you think this is? :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest