The Student Room Group

Does anyone else not get excited for Christmas?

I genuinely forgot Christmas was coming until I just saw something on facebook.
To me Christmas holidays are a **** time because I've always spent them having to revise for exams. In fact I'm dreading the holidays.
I really don't get why people above the age of 18 get excited for it unless they have kids. Or unless they get loads of presents. The only good thing is Christmas dinner.

I've always preferred NYE because everyone goes out and has fun.

Scroll to see replies

I don't bother celebrating anything
I stopped looking forward to it years ago, but I'm starting to get back into it. The older you get, the more you realise that it's not about presents or such, it's about spending time with your family and that's what I love about Christmas. It just forces the whole extended family to come together for at least once a year.
This guy

Maybe take a breather from the studies to enjoy ~the season~? :santa2:
Reply 4
Original post by Vanilla Twilight
I stopped looking forward to it years ago, but I'm starting to get back into it. The older you get, the more you realise that it's not about presents or such, it's about spending time with your family and that's what I love about Christmas. It just forces the whole extended family to come together for at least once a year.

Yeah I could see that being nice for some. I don't like my extended family though.
Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Not terribly. Especially since it seems to start in early November (for shops) or even early October (for my wind band...). To me, it doesn't feel like the Christmas period until the start of December.
Don't care much about actual Christmas but that's hardly a shocking revelation for someone in their 20s.

What appeals to me?

It's a week off work using little/no annual leave
Live sport on pretty much 24/7 - darts, football, cricket
It's the only time of year i'm in the family home with everyone there
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I could see that being nice for some. I don't like my extended family though.

Neither do I really. Half my cousins don't even talk to me and my grandma is constantly complaining about how slim we're getting and that we need to eat more... it's only cause they care at the end of the day, and at least everyone pretends to get along, and that's enough for me.
Original post by AmeliaLost
This guy

Maybe take a breather from the studies to enjoy ~the season~? :santa2:

Just work
Christmas is mostly for children to be honest I don't like it as you have to fork out for presents
Reply 11
Good excuse to sit in the boozer for 3 weeks.
Reply 12
Original post by sr90

It's a week off work using little/no annual leave
Live sport on pretty much 24/7 - darts, football, cricket
It's the only time of year i'm in the family home with everyone there

You've pretty much summed up working life for a graduate. 7 days holiday for like 2 and a half weeks off... Gotta love that.
I don't celebrate Christmas but everything just feels gr8 on that day. And outside looks much nicer.
Reply 14
The lights, the decoration, seeing old friends and family, the movies, the music, the presents (giving and taking), the food, watching all the football matches the next day with the leftover food, the alcohol, the chocolate, the sales ofc, almost everyone being joyful (people like you being the exception), it’s all too good! :smile:)

Someone’s a bit of a humbug?
(edited 6 years ago)
I think the meaning of christmas changes as you get grow:

baby - cant understand, just feels good
kid - magical, with santa, reindeer, twinkling lights
teenager - more about presents, maybe first loves, giving gifts etc
Adult - more about giving then recieving, spending time with loved ones
Parent - magical again, as your little kids are so happy and excited
Grandparent - lovely, usually one of the few times you can be surrounded by your whole family

The time that I think it falters a bit is between teenager and parent. When you get a bit to old to care about all the presents, but you don't have kids of your own yet... its just a bit flat.
also, from my experiance: You get out of christmas, exactly what you put in

Most of my friends who don't like christmas.. also happen to come from families who do bugger all for the festival. You ask them why they don't like it, and they say its basically just another day.. a few presents.. a tree up.. someone has to cook.. whats so good about it?

The thing with christmas though, is that its only special if your together with others.. I like to view it like this: Christmas gives you many many activities and fun things you can do as a group:

- putting up decorations
- making mince pies, making home made christmas puddings
- going out and buying (or cutting down) christmas trees
- going carrolling (or to a church carrol service)
- going christmas shopping
- having christmas parties
- cooking christmas dinner
etc. etc.

There are so many things, but you NEED to do them together to make it special.

A big amazing christmas is a ton of work and effort, but if you do it all together with the ones you love, its amazing and the best time of the year.

Take for example making christmas puddings. My family does this every year in october. For a lot of people its too much work, and they would just buy them. But the work does not have to be a negative. We get my grandpa, my sister, my parents, my wife, me, my aunts, uncles, cousins.. everyone comes round for the night.. we have a drink, have something to eat, and then all get stuck into making the puddings and christmas cake.. people are chatting, laughing, messing about, and it feels lovely and warm.

And thats the trick to christmas - take the work, don't avoid it, but instead make it fun.
Christmas is meant to be about spending time with your family and friends and enjoying the Christmas cheer. the best thing about Christmas to me is seeing what everyone will get me based on my personality, to see what surprises you get. yeah the older you get the less exciting it is but thats just life.
Christmas is meant to be about spending time with your family and friends and enjoying the Christmas cheer. the best thing about Christmas to me is seeing what everyone will get me based on my personality, to see what surprises you get. yeah the older you get the less exciting it is but thats just life.
People who probably have a form of depression don't care about it, yes.

Most normal people are excited about Christmas, for one reason or another. I just like the festive feel.

$10 says most who don't like Christmas probably don't celebrate their own birthday either.

Quick Reply

Latest