The Student Room Group

Any human biology book recommendations for students applying to medical school?

Hi,
I'm in year 12 and currently taking: Chemistry a level, Maths a level and Psychology a level.

I'm not sure if I personally want to go into medicine or a more psychological based profession; however, I want to be prepared for both. And I will not appreciate people telling me not to attempt medicine at university due to not having A-level biology as students do get into medical school without the a-level and it is not a requirement (2 science subjects are as to which I have chemistry and maths.)

So can anybody please recommend me some books/magazine/article resources for me to read and learn in the next year? Preferably human biology/medical based?

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
You dont need biology A-level to do medicine. I know it seems counter-intuitive but chemistry is far more relevant and what medical school requires. Some ask for it, avoid applying there, but dont waste your time or money buying books. You wont be at a disadvantage without it anyway
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zakadoh
You dont need biology A-level to do medicine. I know it seems counter-intuitive but chemistry is far more relevant and what medical school requires. Some ask for it, avoid applying there, but dont waste your time or money buying books. You wont be at a disadvantage without it anyway

This is a really interesting perspective to me as a prospective student. Up until now, I've heard quite literally the opposite, in that biology as a subject is far more useful than chemistry with regards to studying medicine. I'd imagine it very much depends on what medical school you go to and how they teach their curriculum.
Reply 3
Original post by Zakadoh

Thankyou 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Loco16
This is a really interesting perspective to me as a prospective student. Up until now, I've heard quite literally the opposite, in that biology as a subject is far more useful than chemistry with regards to studying medicine. I'd imagine it very much depends on what medical school you go to and how they teach their curriculum.

I have been told that chemistry is more valuable personally but I do not understand how due to the biological nature of medicine. It is very weird.
Reply 5
Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Zakadoh

There is very little chemistry in Medicine. The reason why it is a requirement is because it is assumed knowledge (ie they will not teach it and some but not all of A Level chemistry will be necessary). In terms of the biology aspect they begin at the basics to ensure everyone is at the same place. However obviously A level biology is advantageous.
Reply 7
Original post by TRAnders
There is very little chemistry in Medicine. The reason why it is a requirement is because it is assumed knowledge (ie they will not teach it and some but not all of A Level chemistry will be necessary). In terms of the biology aspect they begin at the basics to ensure everyone is at the same place. However obviously A level biology is advantageous.

If you can think your way through A-level chemistry you have the ability to be a doctor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending