The Student Room Group

Why has there been no terrorist attacks in Hungary and Poland?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 6/2(1+2)=?
Thoughts?

To be honest, nobody really cares about Poland and Hungary.

If you know what Brits say about the Polish and Hungarians in the UK, you would be glad you were not Polish or Hungarians.

Terrorists mostly try to make the biggest impact to be reported around the world. Nobody would care if Warsaw or Budapest was destroyed.
Original post by Wired_1800
To be honest, nobody really cares about Poland and Hungary.

If you know what Brits say about the Polish and Hungarians in the UK, you would be glad you were not Polish or Hungarians.

Terrorists mostly try to make the biggest impact to be reported around the world. Nobody would care if Warsaw or Budapest was destroyed.

And you speak on behalf of all Brits do you ? Or maybe only half of us ? Or maybe just a few of your mates ??

There is no terrorism in Poland because they have practically zero amount of muslims. That's not a racist comment it is just a fact.
Original post by Arran90
I'm not sure that this is some joke question or not. It might be because Poland and Hungary are insignificant and irrelevant nations on the global stage.

There's a lot of unanswered questions about Islamic terrorism including:

1. Why have attacks in Britain and western Europe been quite small scale rather than on a catastrophic scale like 9/11?

2. Why have attacks in Britain and western Europe focused on civilian targets whereas attacks attributed to Al Qaeda before 9/11 were government and military targets?

3. Why have there not been targeted attacks on infrastructure in Britain such as bridges, railways, oil refineries, telecommunications and broadcasting, or major industries?

4. Where is the Islamic cyber terrorism? Russia, China, and North Korea are much more advanced when it comes to cyber terrorism than the Islamic terrorists are.

5. Why is the Queen and politicians not targetted in a similar way that they were by the IRA?

6. If attacks do take place on military bases, major infrastructure, the Queen or politicians in the future then why has it taken so long for them to happen?

This all begins to point in a direction that Islamic terrorism is not professional organised terrorism but set-ups by the intelligence services using impressionable and gullible lone wolf nutjobs drawn from the Muslim communities to carry out the acts.

Interesting conspiracy and I will attempt to answer each case on its individual merits.

1) The logistics of driving several planes into a tall building are not simple, in this day and age where airport security is post 9-11 there are far more measures in place to prevent this, the military and intelligence agencies have more awareness of aerial terrorism. It is not often planes are stolen.

2) Most likely because previously these organisations believed that an attack on government buildings was beneficial to them, now they realise that the easiest way to assault the country is to terrorise its civilian population into voting for other people.

3) This is an excellent question and one I always ask. The answer is probably that getting the items required to blow up a bridge is not easy, and carrying those items to said bridge is even more difficult. Good luck getting all the stuff required passed security.

4) This is certainly true but you must remember computers are very sophisticated and most jihads come from very poor countries like Afghanistan (whose main economic growth is based on the heroin trade).

5) I do not know, possibly they are? It is not simple to attack such a high profile figure.

6) The expertise of security experts, customs preventing weapons from being smuggled in, the reluctance of local jihadists, the lack of co-ordination are all major parts.
Original post by spiritusuk
And you speak on behalf of all Brits do you ? Or maybe only half of us ? Or maybe just a few of your mates ??

There is no terrorism in Poland because they have practically zero amount of muslims. That's not a racist comment it is just a fact.

What he means is no one considers them important in the UK. This isn't exactly true but is more true than say France or Germany. Poland and Hungary are obviously very important in Central Europe

I speak for only myself.

This is not about Muslims or Islam but a group of crazy people out to hurt, maim and kill others. There are crazy people in all groups including the extreme christian groups in the US.

There is no terrorism in certain countries because it does not have the political base to make a statement. Terrorism, in certain cases, is a political statement and some countries do not have the clout to pursue the agenda.

In addition, if Muslims were as bad as you seem to think, you will be dead by now. Muslims are in your schools, hospitals, food supply chain, security agencies etc. There are approximately 2 million Muslims and it will be easy for them to wipe everyone out.

I think you should relax abit and educate yourself. Don't follow the media BS, they are mostly fake news!
Original post by tashkent46
Interesting conspiracy and I will attempt to answer each case on its individual merits.

1) The logistics of driving several planes into a tall building are not simple, in this day and age where airport security is post 9-11 there are far more measures in place to prevent this, the military and intelligence agencies have more awareness of aerial terrorism. It is not often planes are stolen.

2) Most likely because previously these organisations believed that an attack on government buildings was beneficial to them, now they realise that the easiest way to assault the country is to terrorise its civilian population into voting for other people.

3) This is an excellent question and one I always ask. The answer is probably that getting the items required to blow up a bridge is not easy, and carrying those items to said bridge is even more difficult. Good luck getting all the stuff required passed security.

4) This is certainly true but you must remember computers are very sophisticated and most jihads come from very poor countries like Afghanistan (whose main economic growth is based on the heroin trade).

5) I do not know, possibly they are? It is not simple to attack such a high profile figure.

6) The expertise of security experts, customs preventing weapons from being smuggled in, the reluctance of local jihadists, the lack of co-ordination are all major parts.

This looks like guesswork more than anything else. I am using the IRA and previous terrorist attacks attributed to Al Qaeda as benchmarks to compare more recent terrorist attacks with.
Original post by tashkent46
What he means is no one considers them important in the UK. This isn't exactly true but is more true than say France or Germany. Poland and Hungary are obviously very important in Central Europe

No-if you read the rest of his post he is saying that Poland and Hungary are not important enough on the world stage for terrorists to consider them a "worthy stage" for their atrocious deeds. And for him to say that nobody would care if Warsaw or Budapest were to be "destroyed" is crass and arrogant in the highest extreme. He doesn't speak for anyone else other than himself and why should he NOT care if innocent people are killed ?

I speak for only myself.

This is not about Muslims or Islam but a group of crazy people out to hurt, maim and kill others. There are crazy people in all groups including the extreme christian groups in the US.

There is no terrorism in certain countries because it does not have the political base to make a statement. Terrorism, in certain cases, is a political statement and some countries do not have the clout to pursue the agenda.

I thought so. Best to make that clear in future instead of making broad statements that everybody thinks the same way as you.

Nope-it IS about muslims and Islam demonstrated by the shouting of "Allah Akbar" just before some idiot then explodes his suicide vest or ploughs into a crowd of innocents. Most, if not all, of the terrorist attacks that have taken place on British soil have come from home-grown terrorists. Poland and Hungary don't have any sizeable muslim population so therefore they don't suffer from any terrorist attacks. Sorry if that sounds unpalatable but it is true.

I'm a little disturbed that you are trying to link politics with Islamic terrorism-can you elaborate as I can't see any links between politics and and Islamic extremist blowing up little girls outside an Ariana Grande concert....but maybe that's just me........?
No-if you read the rest of his post he is saying that Poland and Hungary are not important enough on the world stage for terrorists to consider them a "worthy stage" for their atrocious deeds. And for him to say that nobody would care if Warsaw or Budapest were to be "destroyed" is crass and arrogant in the highest extreme. He doesn't speak for anyone else other than himself and why should he NOT care if innocent people are killed ?

I thought so. Best to make that clear in future instead of making broad statements that everybody thinks the same way as you.

Nope-it IS about muslims and Islam demonstrated by the shouting of "Allah Akbar" just before some idiot then explodes his suicide vest or ploughs into a crowd of innocents. Most, if not all, of the terrorist attacks that have taken place on British soil have come from home-grown terrorists. Poland and Hungary don't have any sizeable muslim population so therefore they don't suffer from any terrorist attacks. Sorry if that sounds unpalatable but it is true.

I'm a little disturbed that you are trying to link politics with Islamic terrorism-can you elaborate as I can't see any links between politics and and Islamic extremist blowing up little girls outside an Ariana Grande concert....but maybe that's just me........?

If you are not clever enough to know that most people share their OWN opinions, then you should not engage in debates. Who on this thread or other debate threads have spoken for other people?

Terrorism has always been about politics and not religion, i suggest you read your history books and study wars and conflicts.

When I wrote that nobody would care was not that we would not care people died, but the geopolitical impact of terrorism in the certain nations outweigh others.

For example, Terrorists wiped out hundreds of people in Nigeria, Lebanon, Turkey, Pakistan etc. and the response was next to nothing. When the France attack happened, there was a global response, the media went mental, politicians went aggressive with responses.

Many people have been brainwashed to link Islam a religion to groups of terrorists who are out for political actions. Shouting “Allahu Akbar”, which means “God is Great” does not mean they spoke for their religion.

A major terrorist in Nigeria who believed that “Western education was a sin” and part of Boko Haram was found to have sent his children to study in the US. Do you see a distortion?

Finally, please don't go OTT about your Islamophobia. Like I wrote before, if muslims wanted to kill you, you would have been dead by now. Wherever you are, there are at least 1 Muslim working in a store near you.

Be smart!
I would never describe myself as clever, that’s for other people to decide. The point I was making, which appears to have gone completely over your head, is that YOU were making statements suggesting that people in Britain don’t care about Poland and Hungary (those are your words-please see your earlier post) . Now I would say that that means you believe you are speaking on behalf of other Brits or you believe other Brits share the same opinion as yours. Perhaps you didn’t mean it to come across the way you did, I don’t know but I am only pointing out that other Brits may have a different opinion to you.

Thanks for clearing up what you meant about not caring if people died. You did say that nobody would care if Warsaw or Budapest was destroyed which came across as very glib and insensitive which is why I questioned it.

You say terrorism has always been about politics and never religion but just because something always has been doesn’t mean it always will be. It could be argued that Islamic extremism is a hybrid of political AND religious elements though I really would appreciate if you can please educate me as to what the political motivation is for Islamic terrorists as I’m clearly too dumb to understand what political gains they are hoping to achieve by blowing people up.

I get your point that terrorists prefer a “stage” that gets them the most attention but then your theory unravels a little because if terrorist attacks in Nigeria, Lebanon, Turkey etc do not attract as much attention as the French attacks then why did the terrorists bother to carry out attacks in Nigeria, Lebanon and Turkey in the first place ??

I don’t think people have been “brainwashed” to link Islam to terrorism. We have simply observed the facts, read the newspapers, listened to the news and come to the conclusion that there is a link and no, that doesn’t mean that every muslim is a terrorist (that would be ridiculous) but there is nevertheless a clear link between the religion of Islam and Islamic terrorism.

Disappointing that you have to play the Islamophobia card. That might have worked a few years ago and would have shut down any measured debate for fear of being labelled racist but the card has been played too often and it no longer has the power to shut down reasonable people with reasonable arguments expressing their opinion about a problem that really DOES need to be debated about and not shut down for fear of being labelled racist.
Original post by rhaegal100
Terrorists want to spread terror. They're more likely to attack big cities with an international reputation and places with a big tourist scene so they get the biggest reaction and spread the most fear.

Hungary and Poland are irrelevant countries.

I agree.
I would never describe myself as clever, that’s for other people to decide. The point I was making, which appears to have gone completely over your head, is that YOU were making statements suggesting that people in Britain don’t care about Poland and Hungary (those are your words-please see your earlier post) . Now I would say that that means you believe you are speaking on behalf of other Brits or you believe other Brits share the same opinion as yours. Perhaps you didn’t mean it to come across the way you did, I don’t know but I am only pointing out that other Brits may have a different opinion to you.

Thanks for clearing up what you meant about not caring if people died. You did say that nobody would care if Warsaw or Budapest was destroyed which came across as very glib and insensitive which is why I questioned it.

You say terrorism has always been about politics and never religion but just because something always has been doesn’t mean it always will be. It could be argued that Islamic extremism is a hybrid of political AND religious elements though I really would appreciate if you can please educate me as to what the political motivation is for Islamic terrorists as I’m clearly too dumb to understand what political gains they are hoping to achieve by blowing people up.

I get your point that terrorists prefer a “stage” that gets them the most attention but then your theory unravels a little because if terrorist attacks in Nigeria, Lebanon, Turkey etc do not attract as much attention as the French attacks then why did the terrorists bother to carry out attacks in Nigeria, Lebanon and Turkey in the first place ??

I don’t think people have been “brainwashed” to link Islam to terrorism. We have simply observed the facts, read the newspapers, listened to the news and come to the conclusion that there is a link and no, that doesn’t mean that every muslim is a terrorist (that would be ridiculous) but there is nevertheless a clear link between the religion of Islam and Islamic terrorism.

Disappointing that you have to play the Islamophobia card. That might have worked a few years ago and would have shut down any measured debate for fear of being labelled racist but the card has been played too often and it no longer has the power to shut down reasonable people with reasonable arguments expressing their opinion about a problem that really DOES need to be debated about and not shut down for fear of being labelled racist.

Your response is very long and i could not be bothered to comprehensively read through.

You are Islamophobic but wont admit it. The KKK used a christian front to be racist and cause violent attacks against others such as black people. They believe that black people are inferior to them. It will be moronic to assume that Christianity is a dangerous religion.

Two, the Israeli Government has been operating an apartheid state, under the pretext of Jewish identity, for many years and has drawn the condemnation of many governments and the public. However, it would be foolish to assume that Judaism was a dangerous religion.

I think this argument is not going to be resolved anytime soon, so i would just end it here.
(edited 6 years ago)
Your response is very long and i could not be bothered to comprehensively read through.

Ok. Just continue coming out with soundbites that sound good but don't hold up to further scrutiny eh ? If you can't be bothered to read an opposing view then it means you're not interested in a debate.

You are Islamophobic but wont admit it. .
There you go again. Hurl an accusation at someone who dares to link Islamic extremism with Islam and you think this helps to encourage a healthy debate ?

Hitler was a Nazi and many German people supported his views. Does saying this make me anti-German or German-phobe as you would prefer to call it ?
Ok. Just continue coming out with soundbites that sound good but don't hold up to further scrutiny eh ? If you can't be bothered to read an opposing view then it means you're not interested in a debate.

There you go again. Hurl an accusation at someone who dares to link Islamic extremism with Islam and you think this helps to encourage a healthy debate ?

Hitler was a Nazi and many German people supported his views. Does saying this make me anti-German or German-phobe as you would prefer to call it ?

I have debated people like you that are closet racist but then look for stats to defend your bigoted views. I am capable of debating you on this topic or any other topic, but I fear this would probably end in a stalement after several back and forth.

Personally, it seems you do not understand the whole geopolitical landscape that we currently leave in and pushed by the mainstream media. The idea of the “bogeyman” that people should be afraid of, whether it is Islam or Russia or whatever the media tries to put in front of our faces.

There is no such thing as Islamic extremism. Being an extremist means that you took a position too far. So it claims that Islam is an inherently dangerous religion, with the extremists portraying the extreme versions of it. This is not only Islamophobic but dangerous and I hate when people casually use it to defend their point.

Nazism is a political ideology and not a religious one. There is a BIG difference between between a Nazi and being a Muslim.
Reply 33
Original post by rhaegal100
Terrorists want to spread terror. They're more likely to attack big cities with an international reputation and places with a big tourist scene so they get the biggest reaction and spread the most fear.

Hungary and Poland are irrelevant countries.

The countries with the highest terror incidents are all irrelevent countries:

Iraq
Afghanistan
India
Pakistan
Somalia
Turkey
Nigeria
Yemen
Syria
Libya
Egypt
Thailand
Sudan
Democratic Republic of the Congo
West Bank and Gaza Strip
Saudi Arabia

A higher Muslim population = higher level of terrorism. This is why Muslim immigration should be banned.
I have debated people like you that are closet racist but then look for stats to defend your bigoted views. I am capable of debating you on this topic or any other topic, but I fear this would probably end in a stalement after several back and forth.

Personally, it seems you do not understand the whole geopolitical landscape that we currently leave in and pushed by the mainstream media. The idea of the “bogeyman” that people should be afraid of, whether it is Islam or Russia or whatever the media tries to put in front of our faces.

There is no such thing as Islamic extremism. Being an extremist means that you took a position too far. So it claims that Islam is an inherently dangerous religion, with the extremists portraying the extreme versions of it. This is not only Islamophobic but dangerous and I hate when people casually use it to defend their point.

Nazism is a political ideology and not a religious one. There is a BIG difference between between a Nazi and being a Muslim.

So then debate it and not just tell me you can't be bothered to read my response because it was too long.

Thanks for pointing out my stupidity in not understanding the geo-political landscape we currently live in and for me being brainwashed by all mainstream media. I'd hazard a guess that you believe that any media outlet that draws a link between Islam and Islamic extremism should not be believed.

Interesting that you claim there can be no such thing as Islamic extremism yet you are happy to suggest that the KKK were Christian extremists. Do you flip-flop your beliefs just to make a point at any given moment ??

You miss the parallel I was trying to draw in you calling me an Islamaphobe because I was linking extremists with a wider demographic much the same that we can link German people to Nazis but that would't make me anti-German it would just be me pointing out a fact............we are allowed to do that in our society aren't we without being called racist ?

I wasn't comparing Nazis with Muslims-there is no similarity.obviously !
So then debate it and not just tell me you can't be bothered to read my response because it was too long.

Thanks for pointing out my stupidity in not understanding the geo-political landscape we currently live in and for me being brainwashed by all mainstream media. I'd hazard a guess that you believe that any media outlet that draws a link between Islam and Islamic extremism should not be believed.

Interesting that you claim there can be no such thing as Islamic extremism yet you are happy to suggest that the KKK were Christian extremists. Do you flip-flop your beliefs just to make a point at any given moment ??

You miss the parallel I was trying to draw in you calling me an Islamaphobe because I was linking extremists with a wider demographic much the same that we can link German people to Nazis but that would't make me anti-German it would just be me pointing out a fact............we are allowed to do that in our society aren't we without being called racist ?

I wasn't comparing Nazis with Muslims-there is no similarity.obviously !

Alright.

I did not call the KKK christian extremists, but tried to draw a link like you did to Islam. The KKK are not christians and terrorists who kill for any God are not Christian, Jewish, Hindu or Muslim, that was my point.

I do not trust any media outlet. We must assume nothing and question everything!

You are still missing the point, there is no such thing as Islamic extremism. It simply does not exist. These are political terrorists.

You are allowed to debate a viewpoint or an argument but not label a group of people terrorists by attacking their religios identity.

You are still missing the point, there is no such thing as Islamic extremism. It simply does not exist. These are political terrorists.

Islamic terrorists subscribe to a distorted view of Islam but it's still Islam and they are still Muslim whether or not they are terrorists or not. Unfortunately, there is not one universal interpretation of Islam so it's not really for you or me to say that they are not real muslims just because their Islamic beliefs are different to yours.

You seem to be saying there is no link between Islam and Islamic extremists (or terrorists who subscribe to a distorted view of Islam) but that is simply not true. There has been proven links between some mosques, hate preachers, madrasas and terrorism.

You repeatedly say Islamic terrorists are political terrorists but please tell me what their political beliefs are.
Islamic terrorists subscribe to a distorted view of Islam but it's still Islam and they are still Muslim whether or not they are terrorists or not. Unfortunately, there is not one universal interpretation of Islam so it's not really for you or me to say that they are not real muslims just because their Islamic beliefs are different to yours.

You seem to be saying there is no link between Islam and Islamic extremists (or terrorists who subscribe to a distorted view of Islam) but that is simply not true. There has been proven links between some mosques, hate preachers, madrasas and terrorism.

You repeatedly say Islamic terrorists are political terrorists but please tell me what their political beliefs are.

As I wrote before this would result in a back and forth that ends in a stalement.

Whatever I write will never convince you to leave your Islamophobic ways behind, so it is best we just leave it at that.
As I wrote before this would result in a back and forth that ends in a stalement.

Whatever I write will never convince you to leave your Islamophobic ways behind, so it is best we just leave it at that.

Do you think that's a cop out ?

I've offered a reasoned argument which challenges your views and all you can do is call me an Islamaphobe.

If we can't discuss things respectfully in this country then that is when it's time to worry. Why do you find it so hard to engage in a debate with someone who has a different opinion to you ?

Anyway, back on topic.....I firmly believe there have been no terrorist attacks in Hungary and Poland is because they do not have any Islamic extremists living there.
Do you think that's a cop out ?

I've offered a reasoned argument which challenges your views and all you can do is call me an Islamaphobe.

If we can't discuss things respectfully in this country then that is when it's time to worry. Why do you find it so hard to engage in a debate with someone who has a different opinion to you ?

Anyway, back on topic.....I firmly believe there have been no terrorist attacks in Hungary and Poland is because they do not have any Islamic extremists living there.

It is not a cop out. I have argued with someone on here for about a week and then realised the person was never going to change his opinion.

Debate is not done for the sake of it, it is done to change another person’s view of a particular subject. If we are both not going to change our views, then engaging in this debate is a fool’s errand.

How do you know that about Hungary and Poland? Have you gone to both countries to establish your claim?

I would state again, there is NO such thing as Islamic extremism. It simply does not exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending