The Student Room Group

Subject choice

I've often thought of doing a couple of A-levels (part time) entirely different from my career choice.

I went down the STEM path and have no regrets doing that. However, sometimes I feel I have missed out on humanities.

What subjects would you recommend for sheer enjoyment and from an expansion of knowledge perspective?

Bear in mind that I do not intend to do anything with them other than learn for the sake of acquiring breadth of knowledge.

Thanks.
Original post by uberteknik
I've often thought of doing a couple of A-levels (part time) entirely different from my career choice.

I went down the STEM path and have no regrets doing that. However, sometimes I feel I have missed out on humanities.

What subjects would you recommend for sheer enjoyment and from an expansion of knowledge perspective?

Bear in mind that I do not intend to do anything with them other than learn for the sake of acquiring breadth of knowledge.

Thanks.

Read the specs and do whatever interests you. Jostory I think is pretty important, but they are all good.
Reply 2
Philosophy.
Reply 3
If you're doing STEM subjects, you could do a slightly lighter one on the side such as Economics or Politics. History is also a good choice, however, there is a lot of content. A LOT. So be wary of that.

Good luck anyway
I chose to do a Religious Studies AS Level alongside my STEM A Levels just for the enjoyment and loved it! We covered ethical theories (my favourite bit), philosophical arguments and theodicies for the existence of God and an in depth study of Buddhism (most places don't don't this). As much as I love STEM it was nice to also have a humanities too that I thoroughly enjoyed.
I sorta regret not being able to do Geography... I think that would have been an interesting combination of physical and social sciences.
Original post by uberteknik

Thanks.

Little bit late to the party but have you ever thought of looking into MOOCs - they're free and delivered by universities. Philosophy could be really interesting, because it underpins so many things.
When I was a school leaver, I did am extra GCSE in sociology. wish I'd continued onto a level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending