The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine 2018 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rj2018
Alright so essentially bricking it for friday.

What's the likelihood of me completely having ruined my chances of an interview from UCL due to bad bmat results? I have 11 A* at GCSE, around 3 months worth of work experience in different settings (biomed labs, hospitals, care homes) a years worth of volunteering at a nursing home, senior prefect, extracurricular sport at a competitive level etc.

I feel like my S1 score is going to be a 3 max.

UCL was the dream. :frown:

It is just too early to lose hope at the moment. firstly don't worry until ur BMAT results are out. Even if they turn out to be what you think it is not end of the road. UCL looks at ur application as a whole, I can guarantee u this from my personal experience. So please don't worry and don't lose hope. That's the worst thing you can do right now. I completely understand how you feel but just try to focus on ur a level or IB or whatever you are doing. Hope this reassures you a little bit atleast. Good luck!!!
Original post by manobhni
It is just too early to lose hope at the moment. firstly don't worry until ur BMAT results are out. Even if they turn out to be what you think it is not end of the road. UCL looks at ur application as a whole, I can guarantee u this from my personal experience. So please don't worry and don't lose hope. That's the worst thing you can do right now. I completely understand how you feel but just try to focus on ur a level or IB or whatever you are doing. Hope this reassures you a little bit atleast. Good luck!!!

Thanks so much for your reply! Def feel better, but just annoyed that all this work has been done and nothing will come out of it in terms of uni applications.
Original post by Rj2018
Alright so essentially bricking it for friday.

What's the likelihood of me completely having ruined my chances of an interview from UCL due to bad bmat results? I have 11 A* at GCSE, around 3 months worth of work experience in different settings (biomed labs, hospitals, care homes) a years worth of volunteering at a nursing home, senior prefect, extracurricular sport at a competitive level etc.

I feel like my S1 score is going to be a 3 max.

UCL was the dream. :frown:

I think you've got brilliant results in GCSE and judging from this and all your other preparations, your BMAT can't be too bad!

A lower bmat score is a weakness but it won't be the only thing they consider in selection. I remember that they have interviewed people with scores like 3 before (although I think it's pretty rare). It's a combination of predicted grades, ps, work experience, bmat score, etc.

Will they email you earlier if your stated available dates are earlier? In fact I'm only available for an interview on the 13th next month (travel arrangements and exams), so I'd be really worried if nothing arrives next week...
Original post by Sailin
I think you've got brilliant results in GCSE and judging from this and all your other preparations, your BMAT can't be too bad!

A lower bmat score is a weakness but it won't be the only thing they consider in selection. I remember that they have interviewed people with scores like 3 before (although I think it's pretty rare). It's a combination of predicted grades, ps, work experience, bmat score, etc.

Will they email you earlier if your stated available dates are earlier? In fact I'm only available for an interview on the 13th next month (travel arrangements and exams), so I'd be really worried if nothing arrives next week...

There are interview dates until march if I remember correctly. I think the graduates get interviewed earlier like in the December and January slots. If u are a graduate then u might hear back sooner than others.
Are UCL going to publish the average BMAT of applicants like they have done on previous years?
Original post by manobhni
There are interview dates until march if I remember correctly. I think the graduates get interviewed earlier like in the December and January slots. If u are a graduate then u might hear back sooner than others.

I really don't have any idea how to make travel arrangements for dates in 2018 as an international student (finals, ee, ia, mocks, too many things). I have sent an email saying that I'm not available for any dates in 2018 and in their reply this seems okay, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.
Original post by MarkLane_9
Are UCL going to publish the average BMAT of applicants like they have done on previous years?

How do you find these?
Original post by Actuvia
How do you find these?

they will send via email
Original post by Actuvia
How do you find these?

Think they emailed it last year if thats what you meant
Does anyone know where 2016 and 2015's BMAT results sheet and the likelyhood of getting an interview sheet is (if there even is a sheet like this), for a rough approximate of the BMAT scores required?
Original post by MarkLane_9
Think they emailed it last year if thats what you meant

Even last years and the years before that?
Original post by Sailin
I really don't have any idea how to make travel arrangements for dates in 2018 as an international student (finals, ee, ia, mocks, too many things). I have sent an email saying that I'm not available for any dates in 2018 and in their reply this seems okay, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Hope you hear back from them soon! I'm a home applicant and I'm already thinking how I'm going to sort out interviews with school. Can't imagine what it's like for you.
Your STATs are really good btw.
anyway good luck with your application and I hope you hear from UCL soon.
Original post by Actuvia
Even last years and the years before that?

I'm pretty sure you can find that online too.
Original post by NimSian
I'm pretty sure you can find that online too.

But where
Original post by Actuvia
But where

I definitely searched it up back in September before I applied... I just punched it into Google though so I'm not sure where exactly to find them.

sorry
If you guys want I can let u know last years average BMAT scores
The mean BMAT score for applicants last year was:
S1: 4.7
S2: 4.8
S3: 3.1 A
Mean BMAT scores are out...and down from last year:

S1: 4.4
S2: 4.5
S3: 3.1A
Original post by _CATG_
Mean BMAT scores are out...and down from last year: