First car... Watch

cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I’m finally ready to buy my first car but I’m not entirely sure which one to go for. I don’t have a massive budget to spend on a car (around £1500) so I don’t have a whole lot of choice. I’d like something reliable and sturdy so I’ve been looking at:
Ford Fiesta
Nissan micra
Volkswagen polo
Toyota Aygo

Ive found all these cars within my budget and I’m leaning toward a Toyota Aygo as they’re Japanese, attractive to the eye (imo) low insurance group and only £20 Road tax compared to the micra and fiesta, which are closer to £200! The only thing is that it’s a 1L which I’m sure explains the low insurance but I don’t want an underpowered car. Does anyone have experience with a 1L? I don’t think I’d do much motorway driving tbh.
virgil1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cherryred90s)
So I’m finally ready to buy my first car but I’m not entirely sure which one to go for. I don’t have a massive budget to spend on a car (around £1500) so I don’t have a whole lot of choice. I’d like something reliable and sturdy so I’ve been looking at:
Ford Fiesta
Nissan micra
Volkswagen polo
Toyota Aygo

Ive found all these cars within my budget and I’m leaning toward a Toyota Aygo as they’re Japanese, attractive to the eye (imo) low insurance group and only £20 Road tax compared to the micra and fiesta, which are closer to £200! The only thing is that it’s a 1L which I’m sure explains the low insurance but I don’t want an underpowered car. Does anyone have experience with a 1L? I don’t think I’d do much motorway driving tbh.
Lot of ifs here as it really depends on you’re use case and if you can afford insurance.

If you can afford the insurance I’d go for the Fiesta, Polo or Micra as they’re a bigger car than the Aygo. I once had a Pug 107 on hire for a week (Same car as C1 and Aygo) and it was a hateful thing. About as much strength as a paper bag and desperately uncomfortable for me and I’m only 6ft.

But as with everything test drive the cars, price up the insurance and go with what you can afford and suits you best.

If you’re looking for a city car the Aygo might be the best choice as my understanding is they’re cheap to insure and run but I’d not want to drive any distance in it.

Between the other three I can’t really say - my partner used to have an old 1998 Micra and it was pretty basic but very robust, I have owned a 2006 Fabia vRS (based on the polo) and it was great fun to drive but not very comfortable although that was the seats.

As above - test drive is always the key to these things.
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ford Fiesta
Nissan micra
Volkswagen polo
Toyota Aygo

The Aygo is one segment below the rest (I think officially the Aygo is considered "A-segment" whereas the rest are "B-segment). So if you're tall or need more space, you might want to steer clear of it. Remember that there's also the Yaris which I think is one step larger.

As for whether it's powerful enough, let's just say that I know someone who racked up quite a few speeding tickets driving one (this was in Norway though). Really you should test-drive if you can - what one person may deem adequate power may not be enough for someone else.
DarkIronsBarzakh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ford Fiesta
Nissan micra
Volkswagen polo
Toyota Aygo

sadly i don't think we as young drivers really get a choice. Its either a slow car or thousands on the insurance! I wanted a mito but they are crazy money on the insurance from how i got quoted.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've driven an Aygo a couple of times. They're okay, but not exactly pleasant, I definitely wouldn't ever buy one personally. Legroom is poor, although the front seats go back a long way so I was able to just about fit despite being 6ft1. You're unlikely to get anyone in the back seats unless they happen not to be burdened by the presence of legs. The small engine is fine for town driving but it gets rather noisy once it goes above 50mph. Still has enough oomph to cruise along at 70-80, but you might want to bring earplugs if you're taking it for a long journey at those speeds.
dickwhittington
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DarkIronsBarzakh)
sadly i don't think we as young drivers really get a choice. Its either a slow car or thousands on the insurance! I wanted a mito but they are crazy money on the insurance from how i got quoted.
I wouldn’t say that you can’t have a fast car as a young driver, my corsa is pretty rapid when I want it to be. 1 litre turbo though and I’m 25 so insurance isn’t as bad but still 1k a year
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheMindGarage)
The Aygo is one segment below the rest (I think officially the Aygo is considered "A-segment" whereas the rest are "B-segment). So if you're tall or need more space, you might want to steer clear of it. Remember that there's also the Yaris which I think is one step larger.

As for whether it's powerful enough, let's just say that I know someone who racked up quite a few speeding tickets driving one (this was in Norway though). Really you should test-drive if you can - what one person may deem adequate power may not be enough for someone else.
I definitely had to google the whole “segment” thing lol but I get it now. I’m small (5”3) and I have a friend who has a Peugeot 107 and she loves it, so that’s why I was considering the Japanese ‘version’ of it. I checked insurance and it is considerably cheaper than the others (except for the micra) but judging by these replies, I will be sure to keep looking and will definitely test drive when I view it!
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarkIronsBarzakh)
Sad but true. I got quoted £2400 on a 1.6L Fiesta And £2200 for a 1.4 *sigh*
Dysf(x)al
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I definitely had to google the whole “segment” thing lol but I get it now. I’m small (5”3) and I have a friend who has a Peugeot 107 and she loves it, so that’s why I was considering the Japanese ‘version’ of it. I checked insurance and it is considerably cheaper than the others (except for the micra) but judging by these replies, I will be sure to keep looking and will definitely test drive when I view it!
Also, considered the Mazda2? I've heard it's pretty fun to drive and reasonable on insurance (don't quote me on that though). It's a bit bigger than the Aygo though.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
I've driven an Aygo a couple of times. They're okay, but not exactly pleasant, I definitely wouldn't ever buy one personally. Legroom is poor, although the front seats go back a long way so I was able to just about fit despite being 6ft1. You're unlikely to get anyone in the back seats unless they happen not to be burdened by the presence of legs. The small engine is fine for town driving but it gets rather noisy once it goes above 50mph. Still has enough oomph to cruise along at 70-80, but you might want to bring earplugs if you're taking it for a long journey at those speeds.
I see that this is the general consensus.

They are pretty small cars, but that has positives too right? Like parking and fitting in smaller spaces? I was also considering getting a Fiat 500 on finance but then I decided not too. What’s with me and wanting small cars?!
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see that this is the general consensus.

They are pretty small cars, but that has positives too right? Like parking and fitting in smaller spaces? I was also considering getting a Fiat 500 on finance but then I decided not too. What’s with me and wanting small cars?!
If small suits you then that's fine. As I say you're not realistically gonna get more than 1 passenger in the Aygo, but the same is equally true of a smart car and plenty of people still buy those. It all depends on what you plan to use the car for, once you have a decent idea of that you can use that to weigh up all the pros and cons of each vehicle.
username3479196
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dez)
If small suits you then that's fine. As I say you're not realistically gonna get more than 1 passenger in the Aygo, but the same is equally true of a smart car and plenty of people still buy those. It all depends on what you plan to use the car for, once you have a decent idea of that you can use that to weigh up all the pros and cons of each vehicle.
That only becomes true if it is a 2 door Aygo, however if it is a 4 door it does fit 3 passengers at the back comfortambly I have tried it myself on a daily basis.
DarkIronsBarzakh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sad but true. I got quoted £2400 on a 1.6L Fiesta And £2200 for a 1.4 *sigh*
I'm looking at a 5 door old micra and i got quoted a grand.
Ever heard of collins learner insurance? I'ts ioncredibly low dunno about you but if you want to risk it they offerlow quotes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads