The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Constant underlying feeling that I'm going to die soon

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natxylo
Hello,

I am so glad i came across your post. Ever since i was a young girl i always dreamt or thought i would die at a young age. 29 to be precise. I do suffer anxiety and panic attacks which i have been to councelling and had medication for. However these have only happened over the past four years. The feelings about dying at 29 have been present for as long as i can remember. When ever i imagined the future i just couldnt see me living past this age, it is just a feeling i have and still have now. I think about dying more than one probably should, and like you, its during random times such as crossing a road etc. The thing is, my panic attacks are hugely influenced by physical symptoms, and they terrify me, they make me think im about to die. And i do not want to, believe me. But this other thing. The dying at 29 thing. It doesnt scare me. I obviously dont want it to happen, but i feel ready. I feel like ive accepted that.

I know this all sounds terribly strange. Tbh o can barely explain it. I also have read articles where people have said they are going to die and they have. Only last friday i mentioned this to two of my friends. The first time ive ever said it out loud. My friend told me her ex used to say that for as long as she knew him. That he'd die young. He did. At 33.

Im 29. I just wanted to share this. I had to say it to other people. Maybe im crazy or maybe im right. I honestly dont know.

When is your birthday?
Y I'm thinking I'm going to die soon. I feel like I'm going crazy . Don't wanna do anything anymore
I'm between the paranoia that something is going to kill me and the paranoia that I'm going to kill myself. When I was younger I used to have recurring dreams of being chased down the street and then stabbed. I haven't had these dreams for years but I do get the occasional car crash dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I do too. Like I have a son and I can't see past a certain age. It's not crazy, but when I look to the future I don't see grandkids or even marriage of my son. I dont see me.
Reply 44
For sure. By reading this article I feel like we are the same. I never thought anyone in a million years felt these feeling. So thank you for sharing.
I know this was posted a long time a go but if you still check this site and want an anxiety buddy I'd love to speak to you. Feel free to find me on Facebook my name is Robyn-Ann Bastow-Reeves I have suffered with anxiety for most of my life and I think it will be nice if we can help each other as I am feeling like this right now
I wonder if anyone that commented back in 2014-2016 actually died from feeling this way... We will never know
(edited 6 years ago)
I have the same situation here.. Its been going on like four months. Everytime i will think im going to die soon. Im going to die next week. After that week passed, then i will think i am going to die next month. Its really bothering me and i feel so scared. I already looked it up on the internet about this situation. I told myself that this is all anxiety but my mind wont cooperate. One time the feelings will gone and then a couple of days later it comes back. Im still suffering this haunted feelings now and i really dont know what to do. Just now my dad said that he had a dream that said in 27 days something will happen and im so terrified. I feel like im not going to the university and that i will die this year. Im so bothered by this can anyone help me please???😰😰
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MinaChin
I have the same situation here.. Its been going on like four months. Everytime i will think im going to die soon. Im going to die next week. After that week passed, then i will think i am going to die next month. Its really bothering me and i feel so scared. I already looked it up on the internet about this situation. I told myself that this is all anxiety but my mind wont cooperate. One time the feelings will gone and then a couple of days later it comes back. Im still suffering this haunted feelings now and i really dont know what to do. Just now my dad said that he had a dream that said in 27 days something will happen and im so terrified. I feel like im not going to the university and that i will die this year. Im so bothered by this can anyone help me please???😰😰

Sorry I'm not a student I'm actually a Grandfather. I was looking on the internet for people who have the same symptoms I have had my whole life, and always being told it's your imagination! here take this pill or that pill, never really finding complete relief. So here is what I believe happened with me, I was thinking about writing a whole book from when I believe my life changed up to the present. I’ll start my story at the time I believe all my troubles started. It was 1957 I was 7 years old, I met a girl in my elementary school class who sat next to me, and her name was Nancy F. I think the 1st time I really started liking her was a day when we had a bomb drill. In 1957 we were always told that bombs could be dropped on us at any time, so in school we would have bomb drills. We would all go into the hallways against the walls and duck down and cover our heads. This day Nancy was beside me and I think she was really scared; we all were but this day she took my hand and squeezed it tight until the drill was over. After that day we became inseparable and she was my 1st girlfriend. We were always together in school or out. We would do the normal things little kids who liked each other would do, like you know kiss and things. Of course we were curious about each other and explored things I won’t mention but you can use your imagination. We seemed more like adults than 7 year olds. One day we went to the penny store and bought 2 penny friendship rings and went to my house and my 10 year old Sister Sandra performed a wedding ceremony, so after that we were just like the grownups, married. So we figured we could do all the things married grownups do “Again use your imagination” We even built a little house with brush we gathered and made it like a little igloo with a little entrance just big enough for us to fit into. We went there when we wanted to be alone so we could kiss and things. It was that way all summer. Then it was time to go back to school. One Sunday I with some of my guy friends going to play baseball and Nancy showed up across the street and wanted to go to our little house, I said I was going to go play ball with the guys and I would see her later, she looked sad and said OK. "I never did see her that Sunday" I have never forgotten the look on her face that day for all these years. Back to school the next day so I thought I would see her then. I was sitting in my seat but Nancy was not there sitting next to me. Then the teacher said class I have some sad news one of your classmates Nancy F has passed away. I sat there for a moment kind of in shock not believing what I had just heard. It couldn’t be true I just saw her the day before. I jumped up ran out of the school ran all the way home and told my mom that Nancy had died she said Punk “a nickname my Mom gave me” you should not say things like that. I told her the teacher told us, so she called Nancy’s mom on the phone and it was true, Nancy died Sunday night. She had Leukemia which none of us knew. Kids started talking about what happens to you if you have leukemia how blood will come out of your eyes your nose your ears and your mouth and then you die. You have to remember I was 7 years old it was 1957 so kids must have heard that somewhere, there was no internet to look it up so you just believed it. They also said you could catch it like a cold if you kissed someone that had it. So I was terrified that I was going to catch it and die too. My Mom assured me that you could not catch it, but try to convince a 7 year old. Then there was a viewing. At 7 years old I didn’t even know what that was but my Mom made me go. There was Nancy at the front of the room lying in what looked like a little bed. I sat in the chair just staring at her then her dad said you better go up and say goodbye to her you will never see her again. I didn’t want to go up but was pretty much forced to. When I got up close to her it looked like she was just sleeping and I could swear I saw her breathing. Needless to say it was very scary for a 7 year old. I asked my mom what they were going to do with her now? She said they will take her to the cemetery and bury her. I said I don’t want to go there I want to go home. Thankfully she didn’t make me go. I started having problems right away. I would have nightmares about being buried and seeing Nancy lying next to me. I would wake up screaming, my Mom would come and say it was just a bad dream a nightmare, but what 7 year old really understands what a nightmare is, it seemed so real. Every time I had a nosebleed I thought I was going to die. Then one day not too long after Nancy died, I went to the bathroom and started peeing blood. I panicked and thought I was having one of those bad dreams again, but I was awake. I had to show my mom, it was still coming out blood. In my head I thought they lied to me about not catching leukemia by just kissing so I thought for sure I had it. I had to go to a hospital far enough away that no one could visit. I was there for a week never seeing any family. This was back in 1957, we did not have a car we were poor so there was no way anyone could come visit, we didn't even have a phone back then. The Dr.'s were doing all kinds of tests on me everyday, but when I asked what they were doing they wouldn't tell me, I would not have understood anyhow at 7 years old. Well after a week I finally got to go home, the bleeding had stopped. They said they thought the bleeding came from a kick to my stomach a week earlier by my Sister by accident while we were all playing. But I still didn't believe that story. I will stop here, before I write a whole book from 1957 to the present. 67 and I'm still here but trust me I have been through ALL the feelings/symptoms everyone talks about going through. The advice I would give all of you is stop worrying just live your life to the fullest everyday think of good things always positive, or you may wake up someday an old man or old woman and regret all the worrying and grief you put yourself through for nothing "wasted years". Don't even think about dying, we ALL die some day, just enjoy everyday!! Maybe I will write a book and fill in how this has affected my whole life and the things I went through all because of this experience. Strange things have happened in my 67 years, I will tell you one, The girl I ended up marrying her name is you guessed it Nancy. Gunny_Hank
Original post by Gunny_Hank
Sorry I'm not a student I'm actually a Grandfather. I was looking on the internet for people who have the same symptoms I have had my whole life, and always being told it's your imagination! here take this pill or that pill, never really finding complete relief. So here is what I believe happened with me, I was thinking about writing a whole book from when I believe my life changed up to the present. I’ll start my story at the time I believe all my troubles started. It was 1957 I was 7 years old, I met a girl in my elementary school class who sat next to me, and her name was Nancy F. I think the 1st time I really started liking her was a day when we had a bomb drill. In 1957 we were always told that bombs could be dropped on us at any time, so in school we would have bomb drills. We would all go into the hallways against the walls and duck down and cover our heads. This day Nancy was beside me and I think she was really scared; we all were but this day she took my hand and squeezed it tight until the drill was over. After that day we became inseparable and she was my 1st girlfriend. We were always together in school or out. We would do the normal things little kids who liked each other would do, like you know kiss and things. Of course we were curious about each other and explored things I won’t mention but you can use your imagination. We seemed more like adults than 7 year olds. One day we went to the penny store and bought 2 penny friendship rings and went to my house and my 10 year old Sister Sandra performed a wedding ceremony, so after that we were just like the grownups, married. So we figured we could do all the things married grownups do “Again use your imagination” We even built a little house with brush we gathered and made it like a little igloo with a little entrance just big enough for us to fit into. We went there when we wanted to be alone so we could kiss and things. It was that way all summer. Then it was time to go back to school. One Sunday I with some of my guy friends going to play baseball and Nancy showed up across the street and wanted to go to our little house, I said I was going to go play ball with the guys and I would see her later, she looked sad and said OK. "I never did see her that Sunday" I have never forgotten the look on her face that day for all these years. Back to school the next day so I thought I would see her then. I was sitting in my seat but Nancy was not there sitting next to me. Then the teacher said class I have some sad news one of your classmates Nancy F has passed away. I sat there for a moment kind of in shock not believing what I had just heard. It couldn’t be true I just saw her the day before. I jumped up ran out of the school ran all the way home and told my mom that Nancy had died she said Punk “a nickname my Mom gave me” you should not say things like that. I told her the teacher told us, so she called Nancy’s mom on the phone and it was true, Nancy died Sunday night. She had Leukemia which none of us knew. Kids started talking about what happens to you if you have leukemia how blood will come out of your eyes your nose your ears and your mouth and then you die. You have to remember I was 7 years old it was 1957 so kids must have heard that somewhere, there was no internet to look it up so you just believed it. They also said you could catch it like a cold if you kissed someone that had it. So I was terrified that I was going to catch it and die too. My Mom assured me that you could not catch it, but try to convince a 7 year old. Then there was a viewing. At 7 years old I didn’t even know what that was but my Mom made me go. There was Nancy at the front of the room lying in what looked like a little bed. I sat in the chair just staring at her then her dad said you better go up and say goodbye to her you will never see her again. I didn’t want to go up but was pretty much forced to. When I got up close to her it looked like she was just sleeping and I could swear I saw her breathing. Needless to say it was very scary for a 7 year old. I asked my mom what they were going to do with her now? She said they will take her to the cemetery and bury her. I said I don’t want to go there I want to go home. Thankfully she didn’t make me go. I started having problems right away. I would have nightmares about being buried and seeing Nancy lying next to me. I would wake up screaming, my Mom would come and say it was just a bad dream a nightmare, but what 7 year old really understands what a nightmare is, it seemed so real. Every time I had a nosebleed I thought I was going to die. Then one day not too long after Nancy died, I went to the bathroom and started peeing blood. I panicked and thought I was having one of those bad dreams again, but I was awake. I had to show my mom, it was still coming out blood. In my head I thought they lied to me about not catching leukemia by just kissing so I thought for sure I had it. I had to go to a hospital far enough away that no one could visit. I was there for a week never seeing any family. This was back in 1957, we did not have a car we were poor so there was no way anyone could come visit, we didn't even have a phone back then. The Dr.'s were doing all kinds of tests on me everyday, but when I asked what they were doing they wouldn't tell me, I would not have understood anyhow at 7 years old. Well after a week I finally got to go home, the bleeding had stopped. They said they thought the bleeding came from a kick to my stomach a week earlier by my Sister by accident while we were all playing. But I still didn't believe that story. I will stop here, before I write a whole book from 1957 to the present. 67 and I'm still here but trust me I have been through ALL the feelings/symptoms everyone talks about going through. The advice I would give all of you is stop worrying just live your life to the fullest everyday think of good things always positive, or you may wake up someday an old man or old woman and regret all the worrying and grief you put yourself through for nothing "wasted years". Don't even think about dying, we ALL die some day, just enjoy everyday!! Maybe I will write a book and fill in how this has affected my whole life and the things I went through all because of this experience. Strange things have happened in my 67 years, I will tell you one, The girl I ended up marrying her name is you guessed it Nancy. Gunny_Hank

This was really sad, but i enjoyed reading it. It must of been so hard for you to go through, and still think about! :smile:

Definitely should write a book!!
Original post by MinaChin

Just try to calm down, eventually the thoughts/feelings will go. No one is psychically capable of knowing when they will die. It's just intrusive thoughts that you get! I used to get a thought all the time, and a vision in my mind that my sister was going to get run over when walking to school, and she was wearing a coat. When it got to Monday and we had to go to school, I tried to convince her not to wear the coat bc I thought if she wears the coat my 'vision' must be true - it wasn't, obviously. For months I had thoughts of everyone dying, just really weird ones. Sometimes I would randomly get thoughts like 'I hope mum dies' and stuff like that which I panicked about bc obviously I don't want that at all! Our minds are weird but you just have to try your best to ignore it and it will go! Trust me, if I can get through it then so can you! It helps that I googled and found out it's completely normal to get these thoughts and can be a form of OCD. Also - if my boyfriend is going away and has to drive somewhere far, I panic for weeks about something bad happening still, but I know its just anxiety! :smile:
Reply 51
I have this feeling too, it is a beautiful feeling actually kind of relieving and it makes me softer in a way...i feel more relaxed. It feels strange, i know it tells the truth, at the same time I know that the future can change. I am 35, many relatives died in the last year but I believe it is not connected to that. Whatever it is, deep inside it feel good. I am not afraid to die :smile:
Reply 52
i feel the same aswell! Exactly the same. Its taking over my lifee. I doont knoow what to do. i cant enjoy my day because this stupid feeling takes over!
Original post by Quilt
This is probably going to the be the weirdest thing I've ever typed in my whole life and to be honest I'm not 100% sure if it's going to make sense, but for quite a while now I've had this feeling in the back of my mind that I'm going to be somebody who dies at a young age. The feeling becomes stronger whenever I think about the future etc, because something in the back of my mind tells me that it's a fact that I won't live to see all of it.

It's weird, it's not an upsetting feeling because I'm so used to it that it just feels factual. I've looked up a lot of things about people knowing about things before they happen, and obviously it's very superstitious and most probably just chance, but I read these stories about people who have mentioned like they feel like they're going to die and then do and it kind of freaks me out a bit.

I used to struggle with depression a lot but I truly believe I have overcome this now and that this feeling of impending death is nothing related to that, as, like I said before, it's not a negative feeling, more of just something my brain seems to accept whenever I'm thinking deeply.

I always have these little thoughts, when I'm crossing the road or attending a doctors appointment or anything stupid and small like that, and it's just like "maybe it's going to be now... or now... or now".

I just wondered if anyone has ever experienced this before/know anyone else who has? It's very strange to me, not so much worrying as odd.

Thanks in advance :smile:

I know exactly what you mean. It's such an odd feeing that you cant shake but its honestly like you dont even care its just normal. And it seems like its just some stupid superficial profound thought but it feels genuine.
I'm curious if all of you are still alive or if any of those were actually premonitions. As I am too having a feeling that I'm going to die soon.
Original post by Sketcher66
I'm curious if all of you are still alive or if any of those were actually premonitions. As I am too having a feeling that I'm going to die soon.

I was wondering this as well. I have felt like I'll die young and never have children for as long as I can remember. I will sort of forget about it for a while and then it will hit me again.

This week my body is really "acting out", so now I'm thinking this might be it (I'm almost 26 y.o.). I did already call my doctor's office. I never did that before, but this is the first time I feel like I might be getting real close to my death. The doctor's assistant told me she'll have my doctor look at my symptoms and have her call me back. I didn't tell her about feeling like I'm dying btw, just my physical symptoms.

I'm not sure what I'll do if it turns out I am dying for real. I was thinking it might be cervical cancer. I'm not sure if I'd want to treat it, if it is. Maybe I'd rather just enjoy my last months at home, with my husband and our cat, then. But my thoughts are running ahead now. Hopefully I'll get a call back soon.
Original post by VlinderSkye
I was wondering this as well. I have felt like I'll die young and never have children for as long as I can remember. I will sort of forget about it for a while and then it will hit me again.

This week my body is really "acting out", so now I'm thinking this might be it (I'm almost 26 y.o.). I did already call my doctor's office. I never did that before, but this is the first time I feel like I might be getting real close to my death. The doctor's assistant told me she'll have my doctor look at my symptoms and have her call me back. I didn't tell her about feeling like I'm dying btw, just my physical symptoms.

I'm not sure what I'll do if it turns out I am dying for real. I was thinking it might be cervical cancer. I'm not sure if I'd want to treat it, if it is. Maybe I'd rather just enjoy my last months at home, with my husband and our cat, then. But my thoughts are running ahead now. Hopefully I'll get a call back soon.

There's suddenly an ambulance on our street. It stopped right in front of our house. I know it can't be for me, but I'm kinda panicking anyways. I must be going crazy..
Original post by Quilt
This is probably going to the be the weirdest thing I've ever typed in my whole life and to be honest I'm not 100% sure if it's going to make sense, but for quite a while now I've had this feeling in the back of my mind that I'm going to be somebody who dies at a young age. The feeling becomes stronger whenever I think about the future etc, because something in the back of my mind tells me that it's a fact that I won't live to see all of it.

It's weird, it's not an upsetting feeling because I'm so used to it that it just feels factual. I've looked up a lot of things about people knowing about things before they happen, and obviously it's very superstitious and most probably just chance, but I read these stories about people who have mentioned like they feel like they're going to die and then do and it kind of freaks me out a bit.

I used to struggle with depression a lot but I truly believe I have overcome this now and that this feeling of impending death is nothing related to that, as, like I said before, it's not a negative feeling, more of just something my brain seems to accept whenever I'm thinking deeply.

I always have these little thoughts, when I'm crossing the road or attending a doctors appointment or anything stupid and small like that, and it's just like "maybe it's going to be now... or now... or now".

I just wondered if anyone has ever experienced this before/know anyone else who has? It's very strange to me, not so much worrying as odd.

I also feel this way and it just makes me feel emotional because what if it's true? And I'm not ready yet. I feel so stressed out because the thought of it keeps coming. Everything you said pretty much explains my whole experience. However the thought of it goes away when I'm with other people or when I seem to be distracted or having a fun time. I don't know but I just want it to go away.
I feel better knowing other people are feeling the EXACT things I am. I am hoping this is just some form of stress or anxiety that we're feeling. I also called my doctor thinking I have ovarian cancer! Can you believe how much we're thinking alike. I hope it's all in our heads! Let me know how your doctor appt goes.

Original post by VlinderSkye

Original post by Quilt

Are you still alive?
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest