The Student Room Group

Stuck on M1 Vector Question??

I'm really stuck on this question, don't even know where to start with it :s-smilie: Please help!

"A particle starts from the point with position vector 4j m and moves with constant velocity (2i-j) ms^-1. At the same time a second particle starts from the point with position vector (6i+8j) m and moves with constant velocity (-i-3j) ms^-1. Show that the particles collide, and find the time at which they do so."

I feel like I need to make some simultaneous equations to find t, and I've drawn a diagram, but apart from that I'm not getting anywhere...
Original post by Hanako13
I'm really stuck on this question, don't even know where to start with it :s-smilie: Please help!

"A particle starts from the point with position vector 4j m and moves with constant velocity (2i-j) ms^-1. At the same time a second particle starts from the point with position vector (6i+8j) m and moves with constant velocity (-i-3j) ms^-1. Show that the particles collide, and find the time at which they do so."

I feel like I need to make some simultaneous equations to find t, and I've drawn a diagram, but apart from that I'm not getting anywhere...

OK - hint - how far will the first particle go in t seconds? Then it's postition vector will be 4j plus this.

Post what you get
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
OK - hint - how far will the first particle go in t seconds? Then it's postition vector will be 4j plus this.

Post what you get

Ah okay! I didn't realise I had to add 4j and 6i+8j due to the starting positions and use the velocities. I've managed to get to the answer now, thank you for the help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest