The Student Room Group

Essex or Lincoln?

Hi,
I would just like to now - is there anyone who studies/has studied at Essex or at Lincoln and could please share their experience/opinoin about the school? :smile: Which uni do you think is better? Essex is better rated (30th), but on the other hand, people say that Lincoln (which is 50th) is very well ranked considering it is a young university and is actually quite good. So which one is better? :biggrin: I would appreciate any advice :smile:
Btw, Im an international student planning to study journalism :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi,

Thank you for considering us! We understand it can be really difficult trying to choose the university right for you.

Our Journalism course is accredited by the Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC), National Council for the Training of Journalists, Professional Publishers Association and is also 'Recognised for Excellence' by the European Journalism Training Association. It is also ranked in the top 20% for learning community in the UK in the National Student Survey 2017!

We hope this helps your decision making. If you have any further questions please let us know.

Darren :smile:
Original post by Fialka
Hi,
I would just like to now - is there anyone who studies/has studied at Essex or at Lincoln and could please share their experience/opinoin about the school? :smile: Which uni do you think is better? Essex is better rated (30th), but on the other hand, people say that Lincoln (which is 50th) is climbing up the league table quite fast and is not a bad uni. So which one is better? :biggrin: I would appreciate any advice :smile:
Btw, Im an international student planning to study journalism :smile:

There is no such thing as 'the league table'.
Dear Fialka,

I am more than happy to share my experience with you, as a Media student at the University of Essex! The University of Essex is a really young university, as it was established in 1963, therefore we are encouraged as students to question everything, as we are often called ‘Rebel with a cause’.

Our undergraduate journalism courses equip you with all of the core skills required to be a professional journalist across a multitude of media outlets. Our student-led media team, Rebel will definitely be a plus, as we have a Radio, Broadcasting and Newspaper led by students who are more than encouraged to become a part of the team and share their experiences in a professional and exciting way.

In addition to the skills you learn on the course, our BA Multimedia Journalism is accredited by both the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) and the Broadcast Journalism Training Council (BJTC). As part of this particular course you also have the opportunity to obtain the Diploma of Journalism from the NCTJ - an industry standard recognised and valued by editors when recruiting staff. Keeping in mind the fact that not only you will be taught by world-renewed lecturers, but you will learn from respected former BBC News Editor, Jonathan Baker, who will definitely teach you the means to work in today’s multimedia newsrooms.

From my own experience, studying Media and being in charge of what I wanted to write, not being forced or stuck to a certain subject has given me the opportunity to express myself without boundaries. It has given me the power to shape my own views and explore unknown fields, such as press scandals, political aspects, laws and the creative sector, in general. I have gained insightful skills and experience in print, television, radio, and online platforms, as I have been in charge of designing and creating a professional blog to showcase my own passions and interests.

As an International student, here at Essex, we are a global community that lives, works and plays together. The University of Essex was featured 15th in The Times Higher Education 2017 international student table with 44.3% of students coming from outside the UK, with over 140 different nationalities. So, when it comes to meeting new people, you will be amazed by the variety of cultures and celebrations, such as Diwali, the Chinese New Year and even the Holi Festival!

I really hope this long threat has helped you in taking a decision! If not, do not hesitate to ask for more questions!

Mimi :h:
Reply 4
Hi! I'm also considering between Lincoln and Coventry because of the rankings and students nationalities although I would like to do tourism course.
My first choice was Coventry but many people told me that Lincoln is nice and maybe better than Coventry. So now, I'm interested in Lincoln more than before!
I hope both of us can make the best decisions:smile:
Original post by CampusCat
The University of Essex is a really young university, as it was established in 1963, therefore we are encouraged as students to question everything, as we are often called ‘Rebel with a cause’.

Essex is not a 'really young university' in any meaningful sense - many more have been created since the 1960s.
Reply 6
Original post by memeee
Hi! I'm also considering between Lincoln and Coventry because of the rankings and students nationalities although I would like to do tourism course.
My first choice was Coventry but many people told me that Lincoln is nice and maybe better than Coventry. So now, I'm interested in Lincoln more than before!
I hope both of us can make the best decisions:smile:

I was also considering Coventry (because their Journalism course is quite well-ranked), but I decided not to apply there. What put me off was mainly the fact that their accomodation is very expensive (over 140 pounds/week).
Reply 7
Original post by Fialka
I was also considering Coventry (because their Journalism course is quite well-ranked), but I decided not to apply there. What put me off was mainly the fact that their accomodation is very expensive (over 140 pounds/week).

Ah right. I thought so too. So have you already decided where to go??
Reply 8
Original post by memeee
Ah right. I thought so too. So have you already decided where to go??

Well, I´m applying through UCAS so I can apply to 5 universities and I have to list them 1 - 5 according to preference. In the end I decided to put Lincoln as my 1st choice and Essex 2nd. The rest are some "insurance" unis, that are not so good. What about you? :smile:
Original post by Fialka
Well, I´m applying through UCAS so I can apply to 5 universities and I have to list them 1 - 5 according to preference. In the end I decided to put Lincoln as my 1st choice and Essex 2nd. The rest are some "insurance" unis, that are not so good. What about you? :smile:

The order in which you list your 5 choices makes no difference whatsoever. Ucas will reorder them by their institution number and no university will know where else you have applied until after you have made your firm and insurance choices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Fialka

That’s nice! Although the system of application is different from your way because I would be an international student, I’m going to apply for Lincoln as my 1st choice too! I hope that you will get an offer from Lincoln:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending