The Student Room Group

What do you find most difficult about driving lessons?

Scroll to see replies

I found other road users the worst issue to cope with. Many of whom never should have had a licence.
Original post by DrawTheLine
That was my favourite one! I hated parallel parking. So glad that I got reverse round a corner on both my tests.

they dont do that anymore
Original post by shawtyb
they dont do that anymore

I'm aware, but they did when I did my lessons.
Reply 43
Today's lesson was soooo much better than my last. Didn't make anywhere near as many mistakes. I tried the big scary multi lane roundabout in my town for the first time with my new instructor, did some country road driving and some manuevers. What I struggled with mostly today was stopping at smaller roundabouts rather than the big one for some reason. I kept stalling at the small ones. I'm also not keeping my foot on the clutch constantly as much now :smile:
Original post by toonervoustotalk
changing gears :redface: but only tried changing from gear 1 to 2 two times and my instructor told me to stop:colonhash:. will be looking for a different instructor who has more patience:smile: bare in mind i have only had 4 hours of lessons

another thing was that i kept turning the wheel to little while doing turns :colondollar: practice will make perfect though as i get push pull steering now!

I recommend AA Driving school or Bill Plant, the other private ones just try to make money by messing about. While the more well known driving schools have a reputation to keep. I know its more expensive but you will pass quicker
Original post by Pikachu94
I recommend AA Driving school or Bill Plant, the other private ones just try to make money by messing about. While the more well known driving schools have a reputation to keep. I know its more expensive but you will pass quicker

ok thanks for the suggestions!!
after a quick look bill plant turns up being the only one that can provide lessons in my area
I will try them out!
thank you for the suggestion :smile:
Planning ahead and being able to change gears (up or down) while turning, it is like... I can't multitask!
Original post by aniloqui
Planning ahead and being able to change gears (up or down) while turning, it is like... I can't multitask!

Poor planning is the common test downfall because it links to multiple majors you can get - this failed my first test.
Changing gears when the car is not straight was something I was specifically taught to not do; I used to changed into 2nd moving off on a roundabout but until you're experienced I don't really think it's worth it (obviously on occasion; you will gear down to 2nd and enter the roundabout in second); bearing in mind though I learned in a twin turbo 1 series from bill plant. Until your control is excellent crawling around a roundabout in 1st is unlikely to screw you; attempting to do so whilst steering and straying even a fraction into another lane will.
In the first few lessons it was definitely roundabouts. I'd either miss openings or go too early. The later ones it was mirrors; after my first test failed I moved house and with it, county. As a result I was put on a completely new set of test routes and roads and there were lots of narrow roads and bridges - what didn't help was the 40mph speed limit that accompanied some of these narrow bendy roads. Overall though, planning was probably the hardest part of learning to drive to me (and also failed my first exam). Control becomes a joke once you're used to the car and have done enough turns to basically autopilot your control; which in turn allowed me to focus on my observation and planning.
Early lesson stalling was a big one too; I didn't follow the golden rule - lifting your clutch past the point your car is already moving isn't going to make you move off any quicker; it's going to do the opposite.
Original post by nevershear
Poor planning is the common test downfall because it links to multiple majors you can get - this failed my first test.
Changing gears when the car is not straight was something I was specifically taught to not do; I used to changed into 2nd moving off on a roundabout but until you're experienced I don't really think it's worth it (obviously on occasion; you will gear down to 2nd and enter the roundabout in second); bearing in mind though I learned in a twin turbo 1 series from bill plant. Until your control is excellent crawling around a roundabout in 1st is unlikely to screw you; attempting to do so whilst steering and straying even a fraction into another lane will.

Thanks for your advice. My instinct tells me not to change gears when the wheel is not straight but I do get comments from my instructor to change it. This is because I know a turn comes and, unless I do it super fast, I will have to be a longer time in 1st until I complete the turn. Same in roundabouts. I think I will keep doing it until I get more confident...specially that I'm trying to practice with our own car that is completely different to my instructor one (specially bigger and faster) so I lost confidence a bit but I'm better now. I hope I pass my test soon! Thanks for the advice :smile:
Parking in a car park... I’m not sure where I’m meant to look for the lines!
Reply 51
I tried reverse left around a corner today for the first time. That is now officially my most hated maneuver.
Original post by Rum Ham
I tried reverse left around a corner today for the first time. That is now officially my most hated maneuver.

The new test does not include the reverse around the corner manoeuvre so, unless your test is this month, you won't have to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rum Ham

Reversing round a corner was one of my favorites! The one I really hated was parallel parking...
Reply 54
Original post by Blue_Cow
Reversing round a corner was one of my favorites! The one I really hated was parallel parking...
other than reversing back two car lengths, I hate all maneuvers :laugh: :colondollar:
My main problem when learning was clutch control, because my instructors car had a worn down clutch so the bite was higher, so when I went to drive mine (I bought before passing) I would always stall because of the lower bite.
Reply 56
I think it's driving well consistently. Is the most difficult thing for me.
Reply 57
Driving lesson today was a success! Feel like I have my mojo back, well, at least until the next bad lesson :laugh:

Focused on braking and clutch control today mainly since I wasn't ever putting enough force onto the brake but today I did and I felt something 'click' if that makes sense? Like it actually sunk into my brain, finally. I felt the resistance from the brake so I knew exactly how much pressure to put on whereas before, I was pressing it with the absolute tip of my foot and could barely feel the peddle, let alone stop the car well.
I've got a driving lesson today, in a few hours actually. Hoping to master at least 1 maneuver today and try not to stall!
Reply 59
Original post by Texxers
I've got a driving lesson today, in a few hours actually. Hoping to master at least 1 maneuver today and try not to stall!

Good luck :smile: I stalled at roundabouts twice today :colondollar: It usually gets me all flustered and anxious but I'm starting to tell myself "so what? It happens" when it happens.

Have you done any maneuvers before? I hate them all, pretty much :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending