The Dystopia Thread!

n/a
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I should probably start...

A2 or an AS student: A2
Favourite novel: Handmaid's or Anthony Burgess' 'A Clockwork Orange'
What dystopian novels are you studying in school: The Handmaid's Tale & 1984
Have you done any wider reading in dystopia: Farenheit 451, Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange, The Road & The Time Machine
What grade did you achieve at AS (for Y13 students): A
Favourite aspect of dystopia: It's correlation to the world around us, though I'm not a huge fan of the first question in A2 - writing a "critical appreciation" of an unseen passage.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I can't be the only one doing dystopian literature? :frown:
Original post by Wikia
I can't be the only one doing dystopian literature? :frown:

Nice idea :smile: I'm sure there are some people in the English study group doing dystopian novels!

A2 or an AS student: Y12, on the linear spec.
Favourite novel: Zamyatin's We :heart:
What dystopian novels are you studying in school: The Handmaid's Tale
Have you done any wider reading in dystopia: I think I've read more utopian than dystopian lit, but I've read 1984, Brave New World (+ Revisited), Fahrenheit 451, A Clockwork Orange, We, The Iron Heel, Darkness at Noon, Harrison Bergeron, Freedom Club, If This Goes On---...I think that's it? (I've read a few non-English ones too, though not many.)
What grade did you achieve at AS (for Y13 students): N/A
Favourite aspect of dystopia: Dystopian novels lend themselves really well to social critique, since they allow one specific aspect of a society to be isolated and magnified until its problems become obvious. I wanted to write a dystopian novel at one point...didn't really work out :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by Sonechka
Nice idea :smile: I'm sure there are some people in the English study group doing dystopian novels!

A2 or an AS student: Y12, on the linear spec.
Favourite novel: Zamyatin's We :heart:
What dystopian novels are you studying in school: The Handmaid's Tale
Have you done any wider reading in dystopia: I think I've read more utopian than dystopian lit, but I've read 1984, Brave New World (+ Revisited), Fahrenheit 451, A Clockwork Orange, We, The Iron Heel, Darkness at Noon, Harrison Bergeron, Freedom Club, If This Goes On---...I think that's it? (I've read a few non-English ones too, though not many.)
Favourite aspect of dystopia: Dystopian novels lend themselves really well to social critique, since they allow one specific aspect of a society to be isolated and magnified until its problems become obvious. I wanted to write a dystopian novel at one point...didn't really work out :redface:

I couldn’t agree more, in the words of Aldous Huxley, they’re “historically the most accurate way in criticising modern society”. It sucks that it didn’t work out but you seem very on top of things for an AS student, I wish I was where you were at that stage! We is a brilliant novel, if you liked it I’d also recommend Herland by Charlotte Gilmore; I still recall referencing We in my AS exam.
Hallo,
A2 or an AS student: I think Im A2
Favourite novel: 1984, And Quiet Flows The Don or Days Without End. Or I'm The King of the Castle by Susan Hill.
What dystopian novels are you studying in school: The Handmaid's Tale & 1984 (we are doing 1984 this year tho)
Have you done any wider reading in dystopia: Fahrenheit 451, The Time Machine, Brave New World, Swastika Nights, Ellen Minnow Pea, short stories such as The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. For secondary literature, I have read: George Orwell and Religion by Michael G Kennan, Mason Harris essays, the Cambridge Companion Guide to Orwell, Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt.
Favourite aspect of dystopia: Psychological aspects- indoctrination and atomisation. The way that it deals with memory and softness. It is very sad.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by eldritchturtle
Hallo,
A2 or an AS student: I think Im A2
Favourite novel: 1984, And Quiet Flows The Don or Days Without End. Or I'm The King of the Castle by Susan Hill.
What dystopian novels are you studying in school: The Handmaid's Tale & 1984 (we are doing 1984 this year tho)
Have you done any wider reading in dystopia: Fahrenheit 451, The Time Machine, Brave New World, Swastika Nights, Ellen Minnow Pea, short stories such as The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. For secondary literature, I have read: George Orwell and Religion by Michael G Kennan, Mason Harris essays, the Cambridge Companion Guide to Orwell, Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt. I read Aldous Huxley's biography, was shook to find that he had been a eugenicist : ( I really would love to read Darkness Before Noon next because it has an O'Brien-like character in it named Gletkin
Favourite aspect of dystopia: Psychological aspects- indoctrination and atomisation. The way that it deals with memory and softness. It is very sad.

Ay! That's awesome. I just recently finished The Time Machine; I wasn't really in to it whilst I was reading it but I realised just after how great of a novel it was in regards to class/society.

I should probably get around to reading some of the shorter stories, I've read stuff like The Pedestrian/The Lottery - I'm about to start 'Down and out in Paris and London' by Orwell as it just sounded very interesting.

Nice to see you're doing dystopia too though!
Reply 7

A2 or an AS student: A2
Favourite Novel: 1984
What dystopian novels are you studying in school: 1984 & Handmaid's Tale
Have you done any wider reading in dystopia: Brave New World, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep, Chrysalids and Harrison Bergeron
What grade did you achieve at AS (for Y13 students): Pending
Favourite aspect of dystopia: The comparison of today society is similar to these novels, very interesting but also sad how authors such as Orwell have predicted many societal regimes.

I was awfully excited to return to John Wyndham in February with The Chrysalids but found I didn't really like it anymore- I felt like there was a sort of undercurrent of elitism and a stylistic dryness. But I remember it quite well so can use it for A04
I should read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? now that u mention it- I'd never heard of it before

Hope u do jolly well in your exams : )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending