The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons different situation

Long story about what's happened- I went to university to do Zoology and halfway through my second year I took an interruption basically because I wasn't sure whether this degree was right for me and wanted to consider changing degree but also I had some anxiety - once I left I kind of found out that my anxiety was over issues I had with my knee and have since had surgery to correct these knee issues (I obviously have medical evidence for this). I have realised that I want to change course to veterinary nursing but because I'd done 1.5 years of zoology I thought i may as well return to finish my 2nd year to gain a diploma before starting my veterinary nursing degree. The way funding allocation works is length of new course (4 years) + 1 minus length of previous study (2 years) so I knew that I'd only get funding for 3/4 years of my new degree which is fine. However I found out recently that sf counted the interruption as a year of study so that I'll only be funded 2/4 years now which I can't afford.
SO I'm applying for compelling personal reasons to discount the interruption as a previous years study which I don't think is unreasonable as I'm not actually asking for another years funding as obviously whilst on interruption I didn't get funding. Or should I maybe ask and see if I can get all years funded too? As I can barely afford the £9250 I will have to pay for one of the years tuition fees - would it be likely that I would get the interruption year discounted as well as having another year funding? It seems like most of the cpr allocations are for people repeating a year due to failing it because of issues they've had- do many people changing course get given cpr?
Original post by KateP0776
Long story about what's happened- I went to university to do Zoology and halfway through my second year I took an interruption basically because I wasn't sure whether this degree was right for me and wanted to consider changing degree but also I had some anxiety - once I left I kind of found out that my anxiety was over issues I had with my knee and have since had surgery to correct these knee issues (I obviously have medical evidence for this). I have realised that I want to change course to veterinary nursing but because I'd done 1.5 years of zoology I thought i may as well return to finish my 2nd year to gain a diploma before starting my veterinary nursing degree. The way funding allocation works is length of new course (4 years) + 1 minus length of previous study (2 years) so I knew that I'd only get funding for 3/4 years of my new degree which is fine. However I found out recently that sf counted the interruption as a year of study so that I'll only be funded 2/4 years now which I can't afford.
SO I'm applying for compelling personal reasons to discount the interruption as a previous years study which I don't think is unreasonable as I'm not actually asking for another years funding as obviously whilst on interruption I didn't get funding. Or should I maybe ask and see if I can get all years funded too? As I can barely afford the £9250 I will have to pay for one of the years tuition fees - would it be likely that I would get the interruption year discounted as well as having another year funding? It seems like most of the cpr allocations are for people repeating a year due to failing it because of issues they've had- do many people changing course get given cpr?

Hi Kate,

A couple of questions just to make sure I've fully understood the situation.

Have you attended 3 years of study? ie. Year One of course + Year Two of course (interrupted) + Year Two of course to gain diploma = 3 years

Or was it 2 years? ie. Year One of course + year Two of course (interrupted) = 2 years

Thanks,

Stuart
Reply 2
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Kate,

A couple of questions just to make sure I've fully understood the situation.

Have you attended 3 years of study? ie. Year One of course + Year Two of course (interrupted) + Year Two of course to gain diploma = 3 years

Or was it 2 years? ie. Year One of course + year Two of course (interrupted) = 2 years

Thanks,

Stuart

The first one- ie. Year One of course + Year Two of course (interrupted) + Year Two of course to gain diploma = 3 years
but haven't restarted the second year from the beginning I'm starting again half way through the second year as I interrupted half way through
The first one- ie. Year One of course + Year Two of course (interrupted) + Year Two of course to gain diploma = 3 years
but haven't restarted the second year from the beginning I'm starting again half way through the second year as I interrupted half way through

Hi Kate,

That would count as 3 years when calculating your remaining entitlement.

There are no limits to the amount of times CPR can be considered. However, CPR can only be applied once per academic year, although you can make multiple CPR claims as long as they relate to different academic years.

Students who were studying a degree course, who then left the course and achieved an Exit Qualification (Dip HE, Cert HE, HNC, HND or Foundation Degree), may be eligible for CPR for the year in which the qualification was attained.

So when sending your evidence make sure you send as much as you can to include both the year you interrupted and the year you gained your exit qualification. Also make sure to include that you wanting to apply CPR to both of the years in your cover letter.

If the evidence submitted allows us to award 2 more years of entitlement then you would have the 4 years required for the new course.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 4
Hi Kate,

That would count as 3 years when calculating your remaining entitlement.

There are no limits to the amount of times CPR can be considered. However, CPR can only be applied once per academic year, although you can make multiple CPR claims as long as they relate to different academic years.

Students who were studying a degree course, who then left the course and achieved an Exit Qualification (Dip HE, Cert HE, HNC, HND or Foundation Degree), may be eligible for CPR for the year in which the qualification was attained.

So when sending your evidence make sure you send as much as you can to include both the year you interrupted and the year you gained your exit qualification. Also make sure to include that you wanting to apply CPR to both of the years in your cover letter.

If the evidence submitted allows us to award 2 more years of entitlement then you would have the 4 years required for the new course.

Regards,

Stuart

Thank you
I haven't got the exit qualification or come back from my interruption yet- I return January 2018 and hope to have my exit qualification in the summer of 2018 but want to apply for the cpr for the academic year 2018/19 ie when I start my new course in September 2018- is that possible to do when (I suppose) they have no proof that I'm going back and going to get an exit qualification? plus if I am not awarded this cpr then (as I can't afford to pay for tuition myself) I will have no choice but to not gain an exit qualification and just leave my current course without going back so I wasn't going to officially confirm my return from interruption until after I'd been awarded the cpr or not. But should I officially confirm my return (and then "change my mind" if my cpr doesn't work) so that I have the documents saying I will return so they have some evidence that I am doing this and will gain an exit qualification.
ALSO (sorry about all this!) I still have to have another operation on my knee- my plan was to officially return from my interruption in January but stay at home and watch the podcasts of lectures and return after a few months once I'm well enough (this is confirmed to be okay by the university) however if I mention this for my cpr for my exit qualification do you think it will make even more of a case showing that I paid all that money even though I wasn't there for most of it so they would be more likely to allow me another year of funding? I will obviously have medical notes to confirm all this

Thanks again
Thank you
I haven't got the exit qualification or come back from my interruption yet- I return January 2018 and hope to have my exit qualification in the summer of 2018 but want to apply for the cpr for the academic year 2018/19 ie when I start my new course in September 2018- is that possible to do when (I suppose) they have no proof that I'm going back and going to get an exit qualification? plus if I am not awarded this cpr then (as I can't afford to pay for tuition myself) I will have no choice but to not gain an exit qualification and just leave my current course without going back so I wasn't going to officially confirm my return from interruption until after I'd been awarded the cpr or not. But should I officially confirm my return (and then "change my mind" if my cpr doesn't work) so that I have the documents saying I will return so they have some evidence that I am doing this and will gain an exit qualification.
ALSO (sorry about all this!) I still have to have another operation on my knee- my plan was to officially return from my interruption in January but stay at home and watch the podcasts of lectures and return after a few months once I'm well enough (this is confirmed to be okay by the university) however if I mention this for my cpr for my exit qualification do you think it will make even more of a case showing that I paid all that money even though I wasn't there for most of it so they would be more likely to allow me another year of funding? I will obviously have medical notes to confirm all this

Thanks again

Hi Kate,

You would be able to submit an application for 2018/19 with the CPR evidence relating to the year you interrupted. If accepted then year one of the new course would be fully funded.

To get the full funding for year two you can submit the evidence relating to the year you returned/gained the exit qualification when it's available.

If you don't get an exit qualification your evidence could relate to why you are unable to continue on that particular course. It would be held until required for the next application.

With regards to the extra evidence - the advice is always to send everything you think is relevant and strengthens your case.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 6
Hi Kate,

You would be able to submit an application for 2018/19 with the CPR evidence relating to the year you interrupted. If accepted then year one of the new course would be fully funded.

To get the full funding for year two you can submit the evidence relating to the year you returned/gained the exit qualification when it's available.

If you don't get an exit qualification your evidence could relate to why you are unable to continue on that particular course. It would be held until required for the next application.

With regards to the extra evidence - the advice is always to send everything you think is relevant and strengthens your case.

Regards,

Stuart

Okay I think I have definitely got the idea right but talking to my uni they're getting confused and confusing me- just to 100% confirm:
I could apply for CPR for (only) the year that I interrupted. If it was allowed/confirmed then I would have another gift year of finance. That would mean that my new 4 year course (after completing "3" years including interruption and gaining an exit qualification by going back after my interruption to my first course) would be funded 3 out of 4 years correct?
Okay I think I have definitely got the idea right but talking to my uni they're getting confused and confusing me- just to 100% confirm:
I could apply for CPR for (only) the year that I interrupted. If it was allowed/confirmed then I would have another gift year of finance. That would mean that my new 4 year course (after completing "3" years including interruption and gaining an exit qualification by going back after my interruption to my first course) would be funded 3 out of 4 years correct?

Hi KateP0776,

That is correct you will only be awarded CPR for the year that you have interrupted of your course.

Thanks

Katie
Reply 8
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi KateP0776,

That is correct you will only be awarded CPR for the year that you have interrupted of your course.

Thanks

Katie

I sent this off a few weeks ago- do you have any idea of how long it takes for them to get back to me with a decision?
Thanks
I sent this off a few weeks ago- do you have any idea of how long it takes for them to get back to me with a decision?
Thanks

Hi Kate,

At the moment it's around 4 weeks to process CPR requests.

Regards,

Stuart
Reply 10
Hi Kate,

At the moment it's around 4 weeks to process CPR requests.

Regards,

Stuart

Thank you for all your help however now due to medical reasons I am reconsidering finishing my second year to get the diploma and just accept the certificate of higher education before changing my degree course. Is there a number I can call to let the people sorting out my cpr appeal know this change of plan? I would still apply for it but for only 1 additional year of funding that I would need so the letter I have already done will suffice I think if I just say I will now not be doing the diploma. Or do you think I should wait for their decision and then let them know?

Thank you
Thank you for all your help however now due to medical reasons I am reconsidering finishing my second year to get the diploma and just accept the certificate of higher education before changing my degree course. Is there a number I can call to let the people sorting out my cpr appeal know this change of plan? I would still apply for it but for only 1 additional year of funding that I would need so the letter I have already done will suffice I think if I just say I will now not be doing the diploma. Or do you think I should wait for their decision and then let them know?

Thank you

Hi Kate,

You could put it in writing so that when they are reviewing the details this can also be picked up.

SFE
PO BOX 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Warm regards,

Shaun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending