The Student Room Group

Which Uni for Msc management???

I'm in 3rd year of Law at Bristol Uni and want to go into consultancy. Is a msc management at Warwick/LSE/Imperial/LBS worth the extra money?? The courses are 28k each, compared to 12k at the likes of Manchester/Durham/Smurfit.

Also, how would you typically rank business schools within the UK (and Smurfit),

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 123lascelles
I'm in 3rd year of Law at Bristol Uni and want to go into consultancy. Is a msc management at Warwick/LSE/Imperial/LBS worth the extra money?? The courses are 28k each, compared to 12k at the likes of Manchester/Durham/Smurfit.

Also, how would you typically rank business schools within the UK (and Smurfit),

Thanks!

Have you already applied to any of these universities ?
Reply 2
LBS
LSE
Warwick
UCL
KCL
Durham
Bristol
St. Andrews
Edinburgh
Bath
Reply 3
Original post by Nathan9087
LBS
LSE
Warwick
UCL
KCL
Durham
Bristol
St. Andrews
Edinburgh
Bath

Did you apply to all those universities for the MSc in Management ?
Reply 4
I've applied for Imperial and UCL, got rejected from LSE. Might consider Cass if Imperial and UCL reject me
Reply 5
Original post by ukmania
Did you apply to all those universities for the MSc in Management ?

Yes

LBS : waiting
LSE : offer
Warwick : rejected
UCL : rejected
KCL : offer
Durham : offer
Bristol : offer
St. Andrews : offer
Edinburgh : rejected
Bath : offer with scholarship
Reply 6
Did you remember the date when you received the offer/rejection from these universities ? When did you apply to all of them?Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Yes

I got rejected from Warwick and Edinburgh as well...
Reply 8
Original post by ukmania
I got rejected from Warwick and Edinburgh as well...

I’m sorry to hear that.

Regarding your first question, Nottingham and Bristol were the first to accept (1 week) and LSE was the last one to give an offer (almost 4 months) and others replied to me within this timeframe.
Reply 9
Ok! To which university are you then going to ? Do you think Durham shares the same well known reputation as Warwick ?

Thanks!
Yes

Soo UCL, Edinburgh and Warwick rejected, but St Andrews, LSE and KCL accepted?

Very interesting indeed!
Reply 11
Original post by liquidconfidence

Very interesting indeed!

Di you suggest Durham ?
Original post by ukmania
Ok! To which university are you then going to ? Do you think Durham shares the same well known reputation as Warwick ?

Thanks!

I chose LSE but decided to defer my offer to next year intake ^_^
Original post by liquidconfidence

Very interesting indeed!

Yeah Edinburgh doesn’t accept 3-year degree from Australia while UCL and Warwick set the entry requirements for Australian applicants excessively higher than standard equivalence.
In some cases, you get what you pay for; certain universities with higher fees do actually invest in good resources and facilities so you will benefit from going there. On the most part, however, I think you tend to pay more for the name and reputation of the university. What you need to consider more than anything is what you are going to get out of the courses you've applied for - don't pay extremely high fees for a university with a good reputation if the reality is you would benefit from a place elsewhere.
Reply 15
Original post by TiggerTash
In some cases, you get what you pay for; certain universities with higher fees do actually invest in good resources and facilities so you will benefit from going there. On the most part, however, I think you tend to pay more for the name and reputation of the university. What you need to consider more than anything is what you are going to get out of the courses you've applied for - don't pay extremely high fees for a university with a good reputation if the reality is you would benefit from a place elsewhere.

Did you study in the UK yourself ? Based on reputation among Cranfield, Durham, Leeds and Strathclyde, which one has the greatest reputation ?

Thanks!
Original post by ukmania
Did you study in the UK yourself ? Based on reputation among Cranfield, Durham, Leeds and Strathclyde, which one has the greatest reputation ?

Thanks!

Yes I'm a UK student. Based on those four, I would say Leeds then Durham have the best reputation, although Cranfield is fantastic for research so they really shouldn't be overlooked like they often are. Strathclyde I don't really know much about if I'm honest, it's not a university that is advertised or talked about much.
Reply 17
Original post by TiggerTash
Yes I'm a UK student. Based on those four, I would say Leeds then Durham have the best reputation, although Cranfield is fantastic for research so they really shouldn't be overlooked like they often are. Strathclyde I don't really know much about if I'm honest, it's not a university that is advertised or talked about much.

Ok, thanks! If i were to choose between Leeds and Durham, which one would you suggest in terms of reputation ? From what i read elsewhere Durham has a greater reputation than Leeds.
Original post by ukmania
Ok, thanks! If i were to choose between Leeds and Durham, which one would you suggest in terms of reputation ? From what i read elsewhere Durham has a greater reputation than Leeds.

They both seem to teeter around in the top 20, but Durham (especially the last couple of years) does tend to take the lead and on most current league tables is in the top 10, I believe.

On the flip side, for Business/Management subjects specifically, I personally rate Leeds slightly higher as I think their programmes seem more engaging and they have an excellent business school reputation within the UK.

In all honesty, if you got into either one you would be graduating in a pretty good position. I know people who have graduated from both Leeds and Durham (undergrad, anyway) and frankly neither of them are doing too badly for themselves.
Original post by ukmania

Thanks!

For Management Durham > Cranfield > Leeds >>>>>>>> Strathclyde

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending