What of the EU after Brexit?

Watch
Drummond
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So Britain has decided to stick with the diversity the Commonwealth.

There is such a big variety of cultures and beliefs in the Commonwealth, so rather than joining a predominately white European union we have remained with our old friends from the Commonwealth.

But what for the EU? How would you guys feel about breakaway EU elements joining the Commonwealth until they get themselves back on their feet?

How would you feel about say Catalonia, or Flanders, temporarily joining the Commonwealth and using Pound Sterling, until they have established their own currency? How can we help these provinces get back on their feet and establish themselves as their own nations? Can we with the Commonwealth help in any way?

Do you feel it would be kind of us to make an offer to people who want to leave the Eu?

How would you feel about Catalonia in the Commonwealth games? Would it hinder our medal haul? Does that even matter?

I don't know guys, what do you think?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Drummond)

There is such a big variety of cultures and beliefs in the Commonwealth, so rather than joining a predominately white European union we have remained with our old friends from the Commonwealth.

But what for the EU? How would you guys feel about breakaway EU elements joining the Commonwealth until they get themselves back on their feet?

How would you feel about say Catalonia, or Flanders, temporarily joining the Commonwealth and using Pound Sterling, until they have established their own currency? How can we help these provinces get back on their feet and establish themselves as their own nations? Can we with the Commonwealth help in any way?

Do you feel it would be kind of us to make an offer to people who want to leave the Eu?

How would you feel about Catalonia in the Commonwealth games? Would it hinder our medal haul? Does that even matter?

Britain was in the Commonwelathe before and during the time it has been in the EU.

There is no prospect of Catalonia or Flanders breaking away.
They could not join the Commonwelath as they wouldnt be ex colonies.
You are a fantasist.
We wouldnt recognise them, even if they attempted to break away.
Weird thread.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You're talking about the commonwealth as if it's some kind of political union, akin to the EU. It's not. It would make no sense for Catalan or Flanders to join, and even if they did it would be a meaningless gesture.

Also, the idea of these areas using GBP as their currency is frankly ridiculous, in the unlikely event they do gain independence they would probably wish to join the EU as independent states and continue to use the Euro.
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
You're talking about the commonwealth as if it's some kind of political union, akin to the EU. It's not. It would make no sense for Catalan or Flanders to join, and even if they did it would be a meaningless gesture.

Also, the idea of these areas using GBP as their currency is frankly ridiculous, in the unlikely event they do gain independence they would probably wish to join the EU as independent states and continue to use the Euro.
The Commonwealth is greater than being a political union because its a congregation of friends. Political unions don't tend to have their own games, whereas friends do.

I really like the Commonwealth because its billions of people of all different colours, shapes and sizes who are friends. Some of the food in the Commonwealth is just tremendous, like we have our national dish of curry which comes from the Commonwealth. There's many emerging marketplaces in the Commonwealth too. We don't enforce our laws on each other, we are just friends who meet up from time to time and have games. Sometimes when i look at that EU parliament and the European Superstate Bloc it all looks a bit stiff and regimented, whereas the Commonwealth is colourful, with variety and great longstanding friendships, which stretches across the world.

I agree with you that Catalonia might still want to use the euro. I'm more trying to look at it from their perspective really, as them trying to free themselves and go it alone and possibly fearing the eu as much as the Spanish government. Sometimes its nice to have options and not feel cornered.

The offer for them to join the Commonwealth was not meant as a permanent fixture, it was an offer as a temporary measure until they get established with their own identity. We couldn't possibly ask Catalonia to join the Commonwealth even temporarily without asking our other friends first. We would have to clear it with India and Cameroon and Ghana and all the other countries in the Commonwealth.
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Britain IS the Commonwealth,. we could do with leaving it still
yudothis
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"Friends". This troll is good today.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Commonwealth is greater than being a political union because its a congregation of friends.
Exactly - mates around a table. And ever four years they have a party in the form of the Commonwealth Games. And that is about it. There are no special trade deal etc. Also, don't forget that the Commonwealth is basically the former British Empire. Believe me - the other countries in the Commonwealth are not going to come running subserviently to our aid if things go tits up after Brexit.
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Exactly - mates around a table. And ever four years they have a party in the form of the Commonwealth Games. And that is about it. There are no special trade deal etc. Also, don't forget that the Commonwealth is basically the former British Empire. Believe me - the other countries in the Commonwealth are not going to come running subserviently to our aid if things go tits up after Brexit.
I think you underestimate the friendship in the Commonwealth, like I think the government underestimated peoples loyalties to remain in the Commonwealth and peoples fear of losing the Commonwealth if we exited in to the EU Superstate Bloc.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think you underestimate the friendship in the Commonwealth, like I think the government underestimated peoples loyalties to remain in the Commonwealth and peoples fear of losing the Commonwealth if we exited in to the EU Superstate Bloc.
Half a sec? Are you serious? The US fought a war with Britain for their independence and celebrate it to this day on 4th July. India celebrate their independence on 15th August and you might remember that this week a Robert Mugabe ended his 30 odd years as President having dinned out around Africa and beyond on the fact that he made Zimbabwe independent from those marauding Brits and their repressive regime. But under no uncertain terms - the Commonwealth countries that we ruled by force do not view us as some old granny that smells a bit. We well and truly shafted and exploited most of our colonies and that fact is not lost on the populations of those countries to this day.

There is no magic commonwealth bell that we can ring to call the Commonwealth minions to do our bidding for us. They will only drive a deal that suits them. The days of us dictating the terms are long gone - as David Davis is finding out.
Drummond
Rep:
?
Half a sec? Are you serious? The US fought a war with Britain for their independence and celebrate it to this day on 4th July. India celebrate their independence on 15th August and you might remember that this week a Robert Mugabe ended his 30 odd years as President having dinned out around Africa and beyond on the fact that he made Zimbabwe independent from those marauding Brits and their repressive regime. But under no uncertain terms - the Commonwealth countries that we ruled by force do not view us as some old granny that smells a bit. We well and truly shafted and exploited most of our colonies and that fact is not lost on the populations of those countries to this day.

There is no magic commonwealth bell that we can ring to call the Commonwealth minions to do our bidding for us. They will only drive a deal that suits them. The days of us dictating the terms are long gone - as David Davis is finding out.
Mate the US isn't in the Commonwealth. If the Commonwealth didn't like us then they wouldn't come to the games. You don't understand the friendship and passion Brits have for the Commonwealth do you?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mate the US isn't in the Commonwealth. If the Commonwealth didn't like us then they wouldn't come to the games. You don't understand the friendship and passion Brits have for the Commonwealth do you?
No - but they were a former colony of the British Empire. My point is that running around a track is a very different thing to forming a hard and fast trade deal. You seem to be suggesting that since they are friends (they were former colonies - not friends) they would cut us some slack. They will not. Our friends were those people in France, Germany, Italy etc and we have just shoved two fingers up at them. It is going to take a while before anyone can trust us at the "friends" level.
Drummond
Rep:
?
No - but they were a former colony of the British Empire. My point is that running around a track is a very different thing to forming a hard and fast trade deal. You seem to be suggesting that since they are friends (they were former colonies - not friends) they would cut us some slack. They will not. Our friends were those people in France, Germany, Italy etc and we have just shoved two fingers up at them. It is going to take a while before anyone can trust us at the "friends" level.
No no no no no. That's simply not true. The Brits have always been explorers, outward looking people who reach out to the diversity of the world. The EU superstate Bloc of nations does not have that same history of a diversity of friends. I'm not saying that the EU is inward looking or that the people who wanted to exit the Commonwealth for the European Superstate Bloc are right wing extremists, by any means, because i simply don't know. And the ones that i do know certainly were not, they just liked the Eu for personal holidaying reasons and memories of nice holidays.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

With all due respect but its a truly ludicrous proposition... we wont let former colonies join the commonwealth why would we let in people who had nothing to do with the empire/were actively hostile to it join? Not to mention i'm struggling to think of a scenario where any European country would forsake the Union to join a bankrupt institution such as the commonwealth...
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They most certainly are not a former colony.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No no no no no. That's simply not true. The Brits have always been explorers, outward looking people who reach out to the diversity of the world. The EU superstate Bloc of nations does not have that same history of a diversity of friends. I'm not saying that the EU is inward looking or that the people who wanted to exit the Commonwealth for the European Superstate Bloc are right wing extremists, by any means, because i simply don't know. And the ones that i do know certainly were not, they just liked the Eu for personal holidaying reasons and memories of nice holidays.
You are talking rubbish mate, nearly all European countries had colonies just like Britain did, Even tiny Belgian had colonies in Africa which they had to relinquish after WWII.

Its wrong to paint the Commonwealth as friends, more like people who share some common history and find it advantageous to form a grouping. But Britain turned away from the Commonwealth and reduced trade with its members when Britain joined the Common Market in 1973 and they still remember that. I don't think they will be in a hurry to cut good trade deals with Britain, remember India gave a very cool reception to Teresa May when she went there recently to try to drum up trade.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's not how I understand world history. The Brits have a history of exploring and claiming for themselves what they were able to conqueror. The recent Brexit vote was not about diversity. It was two fingers to diversity. Foreigners get out was the message I took from it.

We have so much more in common with our close neighbours. We are classed as Anglo Saxons. That is German. We have Viking, Gaulish, Roman and Galic blood in our mix to say the least.

I find it so bizarre that people seem to ready to dismiss Europe as being alien in favour of lands that are genuinely so different and unfamiliar to our own.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I care not about things such as the Commonwealth. I would rather see the continental uprising against federal superstates continue until they are no more. Starting with the EU and their bureaucracy
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
that is like asking "what happened to the iceberg after the Titanic sank ?"
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by shawn_o1)
I care not about things such as the Commonwealth. I would rather see the continental uprising against federal superstates continue until they are no more. Starting with the EU and their bureaucracy
The problem with uprisings is that sometimes they are not peaceful.
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Napp)
They most certainly are not a former colony.
13 on the Eastern Seaboard to be precise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (140)
14.39%
I'm not sure (42)
4.32%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (291)
29.91%
I have already dropped out (25)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (475)
48.82%

Watched Threads