The Student Room Group

Oxford Classical Archaeology and Ancient History 2018

Hey everyone,
Since this is a pretty specific course I thought it might be useful to have a place where we can all talk about interview prep, written work etc.

What colleges have people applied to? And what other unis?
Hi! I've applied to Lincoln, it seemed to be kind of the 'hub' of CAAH at Oxford, although I could be wrong. The people there seemed friendly and the rooms were nice and the library was great so that was choice sorted ahaha.

I've also applied to Durham, Nottingham and Leeds for Classical Civilisations and Birmingham for Classical Civilisations and Literature. I've got offers from Notts, Leeds and Birmingham so far.

What are you submitting for the written work? I've got an AS Class Civ essay and I'm writing an A2 essay on Oedipus which my teacher said I should submit but it's my first A2 classics essay so I'm pretty nervous!
Original post by fallingleaves6
Hi! I've applied to Lincoln, it seemed to be kind of the 'hub' of CAAH at Oxford, although I could be wrong. The people there seemed friendly and the rooms were nice and the library was great so that was choice sorted ahaha.

I've also applied to Durham, Nottingham and Leeds for Classical Civilisations and Birmingham for Classical Civilisations and Literature. I've got offers from Notts, Leeds and Birmingham so far.

What are you submitting for the written work? I've got an AS Class Civ essay and I'm writing an A2 essay on Oedipus which my teacher said I should submit but it's my first A2 classics essay so I'm pretty nervous!

I thought about picking Lincoln hahah, it does seem like a good college for CAAH. I evaded up picking St John's though because the buildings look lush and I wanna have good cooking facilities to save a bit of money (although I've read the food at Lincoln is amazing). I've applied to Durham, Edinburgh and St Andrews for straight ancient history, and Warwick for CAAH (got an offer!). For my written work I'm submitting part of an essay I did on Herodotus because I don't really have much else, and the (lengthy) introduction to my EPQ.

Could I ask what your predictions and GCSEs are? My predictions are solid (A*A*A) but at GCSE I did well below the average for an Oxbridge applicant- 1 A*, 2As, 5 Bs and a C. So I'm not feeling super confident about my chances haha.
I've applied to Corpus Christi, loved how small it was. Written work all sent off last week. One essay was on Aeschylus' Persians, and the other on Alexander the Great. Not too optimistic in my chances of getting in, predicted grades are AAA, but not sure I'll get them. Offers from Warwick (BBB), Birmingham (ABB), and Liverpool (ABB). Waiting on Manchester. 4A*s, 5As, 2Bs and a C at GCSE, hopefully that helps! We'll see if I get an interview in the next two weeks or so; here's hoping! Good luck to everyone!!
Reply 4
Hey! I applied for Christ Church, I've also applied for Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow and UCL. Last week I received an interview invitation!
Original post by Aivin
Hey! I applied for Christ Church, I've also applied for Edinburgh, St Andrews, Glasgow and UCL. Last week I received an interview invitation!

Already?? I'm so jealous haha. When did you submit your written work?
Reply 6
Original post by laurenshuff
Already?? I'm so jealous haha. When did you submit your written work?

Well I actually got an invitation before I submitted my written work.. I submitted it just a day before the deadline haha don't worry too much as almost everyone will receive an invitation
Hey everyone,
Since this is a pretty specific course I thought it might be useful to have a place where we can all talk about interview prep, written work etc.

i want to study archaeology too. i'm in yr 12 though. would 1A*, 4A, 4B and C be ok next year? I picked economics, physics, history and geography.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by JakeSanchez42
i want to study archaeology too. i'm in yr 12 though. would 1A*, 4A, 4B and C be ok next year? I picked economics, physics, history and geography.

If you want to apply then just do it tbh. I only got A*AABBBBBC at GCSE. I think straight archaeology might be more competitive than CAAH but if you end up with good predictions it's worth a shot in my opinion. Just work hard this year and do an EPQ if you can.
If you want to apply then just do it tbh. I only got A*AABBBBBC at GCSE. I think straight archaeology might be more competitive than CAAH but if you end up with good predictions it's worth a shot in my opinion. Just work hard this year and do an EPQ if you can.

oh thanks!
I've applied to Edinburgh, Newcastle, Durham and Exeter as well as Balliol and I'm studying Modern History, English Lit, Geology and EPQ at A-level. I haven't heard anything back about interviews yet, has anybody else from Balliol?
Hi I’ve applied to Keble College for CAAH and I heard from them yesterday regarding the interviews.
I’ve applied as an international student as I’m an Indian.
Can anyone suggest me how to prepare for the interview cause it is mind boggling. I hope everyone reading this do get in if they have applied. All the best!
Hey again!
I've got an interview at Lincoln in two weeks, I am so so excited as I didn't particularly expect one.
My GCSEs were pretty below average too - 3A*s, 5As, 3Bs and a C but I got predicted A*AA for my A Levels (total bull, but I think it helped me get through the gate)
I'm really lucky in that teacher contacted a professor at the local university to come in next week and interview me as prep for Oxford. For those looking for how to prepare, I'd say read through your personal statement and essays and think of any questions they could ask you, plus look up past questions. If you can, ask your teacher or even a friend/parent to ask you them.
Hey again!
I've got an interview at Lincoln in two weeks, I am so so excited as I didn't particularly expect one.
My GCSEs were pretty below average too - 3A*s, 5As, 3Bs and a C but I got predicted A*AA for my A Levels (total bull, but I think it helped me get through the gate)
I'm really lucky in that teacher contacted a professor at the local university to come in next week and interview me as prep for Oxford. For those looking for how to prepare, I'd say read through your personal statement and essays and think of any questions they could ask you, plus look up past questions. If you can, ask your teacher or even a friend/parent to ask you them.

Thanks !!
Hey again!

Congratulations!
Original post by ZARAYOUNG
Hi I’ve applied to Keble College for CAAH and I heard from them yesterday regarding the interviews.
I’ve applied as an international student as I’m an Indian.
Can anyone suggest me how to prepare for the interview cause it is mind boggling. I hope everyone reading this do get in if they have applied. All the best!

Hi, congratulations on getting an interview! I'm preparing by doing as much reading around the subject as I can, as well as rereading my personal statement and trying to think of questions I might be asked.
Hi, congratulations on getting an interview! I'm preparing by doing as much reading around the subject as I can, as well as rereading my personal statement and trying to think of questions I might be asked.

Wanna exchange essays and personal statements ? I can generate and ask u some questions on your personal statement and essays and u can do the same with me ?
Hey everyone,

I've applied for CAAH at Wadham and i'm here right now,
Very very nervous. There looks to be not many who have applied to CAAH here and that kinda makes me feel better but also worries me. I've shut myself into my room and am just reading and reading (Probably not the best thing for my nerves)

I've got unconditional offers from Birmingham and Exeter and an ABB offer from warwick!

Good luck everyone! <3
Reply 18
Original post by username2423693
Hey again!

Hi, I’m applying to CAAH at lincoln, any interview tips or advice?thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending