The Student Room Group

Does this shy girl like me!? (Signs?)

We're both 17 and work at a village food retail. We've known each other for about 2 months now. We get to see each other and talk maybe 2-3x per week. It can be busy and/or we might be doing different things, so we don't always get to talk, but we regularly exchange glances and smiles from a distance and I feel like she looks at me a lot. We've gotten to know each other a bit and I feel like we both connect. I'm fairly shy, and I think she is as well, but I think we both try to hide it. I feel like she likes me, but I don't want to overdo anything as it's still a work environment.

The main reasons I think she likes me:
If I'm on working on one of the aisles when she finishes, she always seems to slowly walk past me on her phone, and happens to buy something on my aisle. Last week I decided to test to see if it happened again. I remember thinking: "I'm doing dairy today, so I bet she'll be buying milk this time." 3 mins after she finished, she was there getting milk! I called her out on it and teased her asking if she was following me. She laughed and denied it but then went on to say how we didn't get chance to speak and how we hadn't seen each other in "ages". I said "it's only been 5 days", and she teasingly said "oh, you've been counting?" Then went on to say she saw my timetable for 2 weeks later and told me how many days I was in that week etc. The convo was really bubbly compared to normal.

The next day I joked with her, "I'll be on the crisps aisle at 8". But she reacted defensively/seriously like "why are you telling me that, I don't need to know that." I just smiled and brushed it off, but it felt really negative. That's why I think she's shy but hides it? Anyway, at 8 I was on the end of an aisle putting bread out, quite far away from the crisps, minding my own business with my back to everything. A few mins later I heard her say bye " " and slowly walk past me. I smiled at her, and she said "I'm looking for the cooking oils", which happened to be on the aisle behind me. I teasingly said "I'm sure you are! Cya!"

A couple of days after that, she kind of admitted she actually checked the crisps aisle the other day. So I jokingly told her "I know what you're gonna say [referring to the defensive response last time], but I'll actually be there this time. Your choice! I'll leave it up to you." She just smiled and then I had to get back to work. At the end I saw her slowly walking that way. When I got there my mind went blank so I just said "I wanted to say bye properly." She said "is that it?" in a negative/bad voice. Then I put my arms out to hug her and we hugged. But after that it went awkward and kind of blushed / looked down at her phone. It was the first time I've seen her awkward/flustered. I just asked her when she was in next etc., and we awkwardly walked down the shop and said bye.

Other reasons:
-The previous times we talked, she would keep convo going and ask questions 50%+ of the time.
-When she was cold she asked me to feel her hands, and we held both in front of each other for several seconds.
-She always comes to my checkout to buy random stuff.

Does she like me? My friends says she does, but her defensive/negative replies caught me off guard. But why would she go to the aisle if she didn't want to give the wrong idea? Does she think I like her? Does she think I know she likes me? What should I do next?
Yeah she likes you, ask her out.
Reply 2
Original post by Arctic Kitten
Yeah she likes you, ask her out.

Really

I was thrown off by her negative/defensive responses though. Like "why are you telling me that" and awkward after the hug
The girl likes you 😊😊 it’s so adorable how you’re both shy ...
Original post by Anonymous
Really

I was thrown off by her negative/defensive responses though. Like "why are you telling me that" and awkward after the hug

She didn’t want to look like a stalker 🤗
Awwww she so likes you! This is adorable
Reply 6
being shy she wouldn't want you to know unless she knew that you felt the same
Whenever I see these threads I think it’s my crush.
Really

She defo likes you! Maybe she doesn't want to come across too 'forward' and she's shy. You two are so cute! Ask her on a none date, like just to hang outside of work or something, it doesn't have to be anything serious or expensive or over the top.
Reply 9
Original post by vanessa_james
The girl likes you 😊😊 it’s so adorable how you’re both shy ...

Original post by vanessa_james
She didn’t want to look like a stalker 🤗

Awwww she so likes you! This is adorable

Original post by annabeld
being shy she wouldn't want you to know unless she knew that you felt the same

Original post by TheAlchemistress
Whenever I see these threads I think it’s my crush.

Original post by (NaCl)-ty
She defo likes you! Maybe she doesn't want to come across too 'forward' and she's shy. You two are so cute! Ask her on a none date, like just to hang outside of work or something, it doesn't have to be anything serious or expensive or over the top.

I hope you're all correct!
Mate, if you like her then don't make her feel like a stalker, no wonder she's being defensive..
But i get your confusion.. I was confused like that with someone. I think you should ask her out for something casual and see how she responds..good luck
Original post by study_smart786
Mate, if you like her then don't make her feel like a stalker, no wonder she's being defensive..
But i get your confusion.. I was confused like that with someone. I think you should ask her out for something casual and see how she responds..good luck

True, I realised that after. That's kind of why I hugged her the next time, to make up for that...

I might get to see her later today, so we'll see what happens!
True, I realised that after. That's kind of why I hugged her the next time, to make up for that...

I might get to see her later today, so we'll see what happens!

keep us updated 😉
Original post by study_smart786
keep us updated 😉

Guys, "it went completely bad" would be an understatement.

When I came in I smiled but she seemed disappointed to see me and the smile felt forced.

Then while I was working on an aisle where she could see me from checkout, this time she completely ignored me and didn't make any eye contact and looked down. When I asked her what time she was in until, she didn't even look at me or talk. And definitely not in the good shy type of way either.

It got worse. Later and she was asked to work on the same aisle as me. She blanked me. I tried talking about something we both love talking about, but she just said oh, and "I don't remember"

Overall she seemed disappointed in my presence, disinterested in talking to me, didn't like me at all, and kept a plain face expression

What happened!?!?!?!?
Guys, "it went completely bad" would be an understatement.

When I came in I smiled but she seemed disappointed to see me and the smile felt forced.

Then while I was working on an aisle where she could see me from checkout, this time she completely ignored me and didn't make any eye contact and looked down. When I asked her what time she was in until, she didn't even look at me or talk. And definitely not in the good shy type of way either.

It got worse. Later and she was asked to work on the same aisle as me. She blanked me. I tried talking about something we both love talking about, but she just said oh, and "I don't remember"

Overall she seemed disappointed in my presence, disinterested in talking to me, didn't like me at all, and kept a plain face expression

What happened!?!?!?!?

SHE read the whole thread. Good luck
What happened then I want to know ? If she didn’t like you she wouldn’t go all weird like that , yiu obviously had an effect on her , maybe she is waiting for you to ask her out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending