The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The GDP per capita is around 3k$ higher, that's nothing when considering you have to pay for healthcare. On top of that my das used to work for a us investment bank and would receive conference calls on Boxing Day, and his boss would work xmas day, American worth ethic is ott, you literally have no free time if you want to earn a lot.
On behalf of the British people, the answer to your question is...

Spoiler

Y'all this is on trending XD
No, and two members of my family live there. I like a lifestyle with far less murders, with more people walking, slightly less obesity and cricket.
Yeah sure, the USA is big and cheap and strong. There's also a ton of mad people with guns, natural disasters, and backward traditions. The UK is like the smaller, more safe, civilized version of the USA.
Reply 45
Standard of living is probably better there-higher wages, less expensive material goods (groceries and pharmaceuticals being an exception)-, quality of life almost certainly not IMO.
Original post by alexschmalex
This will forever be my favorite response

Why no rep then 😂
at one point i think i'd have loved to live in usa but looking at that country, there's probably more cons than pros moving to the usa. medical insurance is a shambles, the general health of the population is pretty bad, universities are even more expensive over there... the lack of gun control would also make me feel paranoid of really travelling anywhere. sure, you may have big things and celebrate lots of different things, but i'm okay in the dreary uk for now.

i'm also a little confused why you think bigger is better- do you mean the amount of people having access to healthcare? if so, then i agree with you in that situation [pft] bigger things doesn't necessarily mean they're better- bigger portions of food result in a bigger obesity epidemic, maybe you like bigger guns?

and yes, the nhs isn't great but i'd rather have access to healthcare all year round. healthcare should be a basic right, not a privilege.
(edited 6 years ago)
Schools aren't shooting grounds y'know.
Least we ain’t got no Donald Trump 🤙🏽
I just hate how lots of different things such as games or movies have the language as 'english (US)' and 'english (UK)'.

There are not that many differences between them at all and most people from their respective countries understand the differences. (Such as garbage meaning trash and colour spelt as color.)
Original post by Pleasantri
British people always talk about their National Health Service, but I'm sorry, it's crap. Your waiting lists are appalling and so is your cancer treatment.

I'd rather be an uninsured American than have to use your *****y healthcare!

How is our cancer treatment appalling? I've spoken to an American who was treated for the same cancer as me, and there was virtually no difference in the treatment that we were receiving.

I've been in remission for 2 years. 3 years away from being considered "cured". And it didn't cost me a dime and never will do so long as the NHS survives. If I was an insured american, I'd be facing rising premiums or being refused health insurance. If I was an uninsured american I'd either be facing crippling debt or I'd be dead.
ITT full of Brits without ANY idea about the USA.

And yes OP, jealousy is pretty rife in the UK, not that they'd ever admit it. :laugh:
I'm jealous of countries like Norway, Iceland, Japan, S.Korea, Emirates, Switzerland etc. But not America.
Lmao, I accidentally stabbed myself with a screwdriver and I'm happy that I could go and get it checked out for a relatively small charge. I know that if it got badly infected that I wouldn't have my savings destroyed and my future ruined by a stupid accident. So no, I'm not jealous.
I am not patriotic in the slightest... in fact plenty would call me anti-nationalist. However, I like living in the UK and the only reason I came to this conclusion was the fact that I am protected from absolute poverty, rampant gun crime, political corruption on a monumental scale, fear of death at not affording health care. Our workers are guaranteed holiday every year and as much as I hate student loans, they are nothing compared to American scholars. Our education system is more rigorous and widely respected.

Quite frankly, if it wasn't for the jingoism indoctrinated in Americans for the latter half of the C20th, they would probably want to live here, not the other way around.
Your country is governed by Donald Trump. You could not pay me to live in your big houses and drive your big cars if that means living under your even bigger ******** of a president.
Original post by Pleasantri
I'm a proud US citizen and our houses are generally bigger, our cars are larger and more comfortable to drive; it feels like the general standard of living in the USA far surpasses that in the UK.

No thanks I am happy I was born in UK rather than USA.

Student loan debt in USA is unforgiving you cant even pay it back if you are homeless LOL.

Gun crime, gangs, no free healthcare, more racial problems, obesity, student debt, having to use plane to travel across the country as it is so big, only a few problems I can list about the USA
Original post by Sabertooth
ITT full of Brits without ANY idea about the USA.

And yes OP, jealousy is pretty rife in the UK, not that they'd ever admit it. :laugh:

And there isn’t a single one here.
No ones jealous. There’s absolutely nothing to be jealous of!
We’ve got boris....

Original post by Anonymous
Least we ain’t got no Donald Trump 🤙🏽

Latest

Trending

Trending