The Student Room Group

Poll: Would you support a ban on alcohol?

Poll

Would you support a ban on alcohol?

Explain your choice.

Scroll to see replies

if in general then no i woudn't because ppl should be allowed to go out and enjoy a drink
no, we're not a nanny state though people need to be taught about not drinking beyond your limit etc
Reply 3
Original post by Ray_Shadows
if in general then no i woudn't because ppl should be allowed to go out and enjoy a drink

Vote in poll, please. :smile:
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Vote in poll, please. :smile:

makes no difference
Yes, but not an instantaneous one.
No. People should be free to drink if they want to. The key is teaching people how to drink responsibly. Way too many teens I know have gotten into what could have been a really bad situation because they didn't know their limits.
Reply 7
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Yes, but not an instantaneous one.

Why would you want it band eventually?
I would support such an idea, but the actual implementation is impossible. Just as with drugs, making alcohol illegal will open up a vast illegal black market for it and people will still get there hands on it.
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Why would you want it band eventually?

The health costs alone outweigh any social/cultural benefits of keeping it legal.
No. Because booze is cool and prohibition doesn't work.
The Americans have shown us why this isn’t a good idea.
Original post by Trinculo
No. Because booze is cool and prohibition doesn't work.

Works fine in Muslim-majority countries.
Absolutely not, 1920s Prohibiton in America was an absolute failure leading to organised crime and corruption so I think we'll be fine with alcohol
No, just a bonkers idea. Take a look at the Saudis in London of Bahrain getting trashed because they can't touch liquor in Riyadh!
Works fine in Muslim-majority countries.

No it doesn't. A lot of them have laws that mean that Muslims can't drink, but other people can.

Also, in those countries there is esentially an ecclesiastic law that prohibits drinking - the people are supposed to be spiritually, morally as well as legally prevented from drinking. There is also the situation that often alcohol has always been illegal. In the US, it was legal, and then suddenly made illegal in a shock-manner. This is what causes the problems.

This is also why any kind of gun ban would be so destabilising in the US - trying to instantly remove things that are prevalant and have been for hundreds of years.
The health costs alone outweigh any social/cultural benefits of keeping it legal.

What about the people who can drink respobsibly. Plus people would argue that a lot of European culture is centred around alcohol.
I said to ban but that is a little harsh. I think it should be made harder to access and maybe less involved in society and in social norm. There's a tremendous pressure on young adults to go out and get blind drunk. Being extremely drunk seems to be a cool thing to do, despite the dangers and plain embarrassment of such a thing. It's the thing to do when you turn 18 - go out and get drunk.
Reply 18
If that happened i'd never get laid.
Original post by hannxm
I said to ban but that is a little harsh. I think it should be made harder to access and maybe less involved in society and in social norm. There's a tremendous pressure on young adults to go out and get blind drunk. Being extremely drunk seems to be a cool thing to do, despite the dangers and plain embarrassment of such a thing. It's the thing to do when you turn 18 - go out and get drunk.

Drinking is engrained in European culture that' why. Surely it should be down to the individual to know when to stop, rather than banning it for eveveryone?

Quick Reply

Latest