The Student Room Group

Does the world need an Apocalypse?

We have so many problems at the moment such as overpopulation, pollution, hate crimes, and mental illnesses. I think if humanity was taken back to a simpler time, alongside a dramatic reduction in population, then a lot of these problems themselves. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

if we did i hope it will be a zombie apocalypse , that be sick
Let's keep building robots and try and get them to gain a human conscience then we'll have our apocalypse
I want massive volcano eruptions - It's amazing to see Earth covered in magma.
No
just no
Original post by J_MR
We have so many problems at the moment such as overpopulation, pollution, hate crimes, and mental illnesses. I think if humanity was taken back to a simpler time, alongside a dramatic reduction in population, then a lot of these problems themselves. What do you think?

Yes, that would fix some things, but it would suck if you died, or if you found everyone you know dead and had to survive in what would effectively be wilderness. Surely we should instead focus on preventing an apocalypse and limiting the effects of these problems?

PS Why do you mention mental illnesses? An apocalypse won't sort them out. The main reason why mental illnesses are becoming more common is that they are now better-understood and more easily diagnosed. Also, many of them are age-related (e.g. dementia), so people living longer contributes to the rise.

PPS Hate crimes aren't a new thing. Just back then they weren't crimes.
Yes, I ❤️ Apocalypses!
It would be cool to try to live back in history for a day or two to see what it would be like. Such as the bronze age or something similar.
A zombie apocalypse
Original post by monkeyman0121
It would be cool to try to live back in history for a day or two to see what it would be like. Such as the bronze age or something similar.

Honestly people today wouldn't be able to live without the technological advancements that have occurred in the past centuries.
Reply 10
I think that with a common goal, people would be more able to help each other rather than find excuses to fight each other. Those who couldn't get along would die because they wouldn't be able to survive on their own.

In my opinion, mental illnesses are a new phenomena simply because the human mind is not complex enough to process so much information we are given on a day to day basis in the modern world and people living too long. Do you not think that reducing lifespan would solve this?

Admittedly yes, emotionally it would suck for the first generation or two, but if life were able to move on wouldn't the world become a much healthier place?

Original post by TheMindGarage
Yes, that would fix some things, but it would suck if you died, or if you found everyone you know dead and had to survive in what would effectively be wilderness. Surely we should instead focus on preventing an apocalypse and limiting the effects of these problems?

PS Why do you mention mental illnesses? An apocalypse won't sort them out. The main reason why mental illnesses are becoming more common is that they are now better-understood and more easily diagnosed. Also, many of them are age-related (e.g. dementia), so people living longer contributes to the rise.

PPS Hate crimes aren't a new thing. Just back then they weren't crimes.
Reply 11
What about when all one had to do was eat enough to live another day?

Original post by banoffeee
Humanity was never simple. Let's not delude ourselves with false nostalgia for a time that never existed.
Original post by J_MR
In my opinion, mental illnesses are a new phenomena simply because the human mind is not complex enough to process so much information we are given on a day to day basis in the modern world and people living too long. Do you not think that reducing lifespan would solve this?

Reducing lifespan definitely wouldn't help. Mental illnesses are common in teenagers as well.
Original post by J_MR
I think that with a common goal, people would be more able to help each other rather than find excuses to fight each other. Those who couldn't get along would die because they wouldn't be able to survive on their own.

Admittedly yes, emotionally it would suck for the first generation or two, but if life were able to move on wouldn't the world become a much healthier place?

what are you trying to say , mental illnesses are becoming more common ??
Original post by J_MR
What about when all one had to do was eat enough to live another day?

If you're talking about early homo sapiens, one didn't just have to eat enough to live another day though.
One had to hunt game and forage, and endure hostile environmental conditions, for one thing. There were no hospitals for illness either and life was short lived and uncertain.
Today we have created other problems, but life was never simple.
*Zombie apocalypse begin*
*Immediately looks for the nearest redneck to cling onto*
Reply 16
Only because they have time to think. I think a recognition that we are more ape than astronaut would help.

Original post by TheMindGarage
Reducing lifespan definitely wouldn't help. Mental illnesses are common in teenagers as well.
Reply 17
But if people had less time to tell themselves how depressed (for example) they were, do you not think people would begin to truly see what a gift God has given us with life?

Original post by banoffeee
Yeah, maybe you do belong the stone age.

I'm sorry but this is so ignorant, and frankly naive. Mental illnesses are not a 'new phenomena'. They are a real, painful and terrible burden, and deserve to be validated as such.
Original post by J_MR
Only because they have time to think. I think a recognition that we are more ape than astronaut would help.

Stop being ridiculous. Everyone has time to think. Are you saying that people get mental illnesses because they have time to think? Try being so busy that you don't have time to think, and see how you feel after that.

536 people have been astronauts. No people are apes. Why are you so obsessed with the past? If you don't like current life, travel to somewhere really remote and try to eke out your own existence there. I bet you wouldn't last a year.
Original post by J_MR
But if people had less time to tell themselves how depressed (for example) they were, do you not think people would begin to truly see what a gift God has given us with life?

So now you think people tell themselves that they're depressed? You're clearly way out of touch. Please educate yourself and think about how someone with a mental illness would feel about what you've just said.

If you think life is such a great gift, why did you make a thread about taking billions of lives?

Quick Reply

Latest