The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels for medicine

I need to choose my A level options and I want to be able to go Oxford for a medicine degree. I have currently decided on Maths, Biology and Chemistry as definite. I want to do one more - however, I am stuck between further maths and physics. I want to do medicine but I also want to leave a chance in case I do something in maths. I don’t generally enjoy maths but I can do well at it. What would be a better A -level to choose if I’m leaning onto the medicine side. Also how respected is further maths A level compared to Physics?
Original post by Pikachoo
I need to choose my A level options and I want to be able to go Oxford for a medicine degree. I have currently decided on Maths, Biology and Chemistry as definite. I want to do one more - however, I am stuck between further maths and physics. I want to do medicine but I also want to leave a chance in case I do something in maths. I don’t generally enjoy maths but I can do well at it. What would be a better A -level to choose if I’m leaning onto the medicine side. Also how respected is further maths A level compared to Physics?

Many medical schools don't count further maths as a separate A level, just fyi. Definitely worth checking before taking it on.

My honest advice would be to stick to three A levels - you don't need four to get an offer and you run the risk of overstretching yourself. If you're absolutely set on doing four, I wouldn't do further maths. I also wouldn't pick something you don't actually enjoy, there is no "respect" hierarchy so pick what you like and what you're likely to do well in.
oxford dont rlly care about which a levels you study as long as u hv chem and preferably bio pick an a level u will enjoy cos ur more likely to work harder in something u enjoy- i applied to oxford for med this year and they said at open day they dont care abt which a lvels u pick(but see if they count furthermaths)
I need to choose my A level options and I want to be able to go Oxford for a medicine degree. I have currently decided on Maths, Biology and Chemistry as definite. I want to do one more - however, I am stuck between further maths and physics.

Obv see the other thread re: doing 4.

The key consideration here is what you are aiming to do after A-levels. If you did want to do something maths related at a good uni F.maths is highly recommended. However i'm a little confused as to why this is an option given that you say you don't like maths!

If its purely for medicine, then as pointed out some med schools don't accept f.maths as a third subject so it might not form part of offers you are potentially given. Physics would be, however.

Due to the amount of overlap between maths and f.maths that would probably be the slightly easier option, assuming you are good at maths and obviously found GCSE pretty easy. There is some overlap in terms of skillset with physics though, as pointed out in the other thread.
Reply 4

If you don’t like maths, don’t take it at all. I didn’t like maths much at GCSE but always did really well; that’s not enough at AS and A-Level. You can go from an A* to a D or an E really, really fast. So I’d say do Chem, Bio, Physics and any other subject you genuinely enjoy (although many Physics courses recommend you do maths). Definitely don’t do further maths if you don’t enjoy it - most universities don’t care at all what your third and fourth subjects are, if you have chem and bio, you’re good.
Reply 5

I applied Cambridge medicine. They only look at 3 A levels so a fourth is largely irrelevant, especially if it distracts your study of the other 3 (A2 chem is a really b*****, and bmat/ukcat ho ho ho you’re in for a shock 😫)
An EPQ or similar extracurricular study can be useful for personal statement and the interview, but an entire A level is overkill
Reply 6
Do 3 (and an EPQ)
Reply 7
I’m in the same position as you, I would go for physics if I was you. I’ve picked Chemistry biology physics maths

I suppose on the medicine side, Physics might be better, as it's considered a full extra A Level, whereas for medicine, Further Maths sometimes isn't counted as a completely separate subject.
Reply 9
Do an EPQ on something relevant to medicine. Don't do anything to potentially distract you from the demanding grades you will need to achieve to study medicine.
Besides saying you got 4 A levels the Uni won't be at all interested in the fourth - but they'll be a lot less interested if you did get 4 and they are an A* A B B...
Original post by drake19988
Has anyone else heard of a course run by easymedicuk.com? They have a decent site and seems legit. I might sign up.

I went on one of their interview days. It was actually really useful and there's lots of opportunities to practice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending