The Student Room Group

Trends in reactivity

Hi, i have a six marker question which is; Describe and explain the trends in reactivity in different groups of the periodic table, and was wondering what will get me the full 6 marks.
Reply 1
Original post by ELLE707
Hi, i have a six marker question which is; Describe and explain the trends in reactivity in different groups of the periodic table, and was wondering what will get me the full 6 marks.

What groups have u studied or are u familiar with? Personally i would chose group 1 and group 7. I would say what happens as u go down each group, then i would explain in detail why this is the pattern.

If u post ur answer im sure we can critique it to the best of our abilities to help u get 6 marks.

Is this gcse or alevel
Reply 2
Original post by Shaanv
What groups have u studied or are u familiar with? Personally i would chose group 1 and group 7. I would say what happens as u go down each group, then i would explain in detail why this is the pattern.

If u post ur answer im sure we can critique it to the best of our abilities to help u get 6 marks.

Is this gcse or alevel

First of all thank you replying so quickly and well this is gcse. i am familar with group 1 and 7 but our teacher would like us to mention group2 and another group and so far this is what i have got;
metals lose and electron when reacting with non metals and non metals gain one.
reactivity of an element depends on how easily its atom gains or loses electrons.
group 1- as you go down the group the melting point decreases, density increases, they become softer, they become more reactive
and the opposite of all of this for group 7.

noble gases are chemically unreactive.
Reply 3
Original post by ELLE707
First of all thank you replying so quickly and well this is gcse. i am familar with group 1 and 7 but our teacher would like us to mention group2 and another group and so far this is what i have got;
metals lose and electron when reacting with non metals and non metals gain one.
reactivity of an element depends on how easily its atom gains or loses electrons.
group 1- as you go down the group the melting point decreases, density increases, they become softer, they become more reactive
and the opposite of all of this for group 7.

noble gases are chemically unreactive.

Personally my gut instinct is that they want u to say:

Group 1 elements become more reactive as you go down the group, as they lose there outer most electron. As you go down the group the outer electron is further from the nucleus so it experiences a smaller electrostatic force, so it is more readily lost.

Group 7 elements become less reactive as you go down the group. They gain an electron when they react, as you go down the group the electron that it needs to gain is further from the nucleus, so it experiences a weaker electrostatic force so it is less readily gained.

Im not sure why u would have to mention group 2 unless u have covered it in class (tho i think it is very similar to group 1). Also noble gases are all fairly unreactive so i dont think it would get u any marks. Although i could be wrong on the final point.
Reply 4
Original post by Shaanv
Personally my gut instinct is that they want u to say:

Group 1 elements become more reactive as you go down the group, as they lose there outer most electron. As you go down the group the outer electron is further from the nucleus so it experiences a smaller electrostatic force, so it is more readily lost.

Group 7 elements become less reactive as you go down the group. They gain an electron when they react, as you go down the group the electron that it needs to gain is further from the nucleus, so it experiences a weaker electrostatic force so it is less readily gained.

Im not sure why u would have to mention group 2 unless u have covered it in class (tho i think it is very similar to group 1). Also noble gases are all fairly unreactive so i dont think it would get u any marks. Although i could be wrong on the final point.

Ohhh I see, that makes sense thank you soo much and since i didn't do group 2 in my lessons I am not going to write about it. Once again thank you soo much for your help

Quick Reply

Latest