The Student Room Group

RVC Veterinary Medicine work experience form not sent?

Hello,

I'm a referee for a student who applied for veterinary medicine. She applied to the RVC and got a rejection today because she either didn't fill in a work experience form or didn't have enough work experience. She easily has way more than the minimum they want but she has no email from them with any form to fill in. Can anyone who applied to the RVC say if they got an email with link to the form in?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
the form wasn't emailed it was on their website
the deadline was the 15th october i think, same as ucas
Original post by Munrot07
Hello,

I'm a referee for a student who applied for veterinary medicine. She applied to the RVC and got a rejection today because she either didn't fill in a work experience form or didn't have enough work experience. She easily has way more than the minimum they want but she has no email from them with any form to fill in. Can anyone who applied to the RVC say if they got an email with link to the form in?

Thanks.

Hi there, that's really sad to here. You had to fill in the form on the RVCs website and then submit it there as that what was in the entry requirements on the website. I applied for RVC and I got an email, which was a copy of the work experience form that I filled in on the website. If she was waiting for an email with the form, then she would have missed the deadline to fill it in on their website (15th October).
Reply 3
Original post by Emma2220
Hi there, that's really sad to here. You had to fill in the form on the RVCs website and then submit it there as that what was in the entry requirements on the website. I applied for RVC and I got an email, which was a copy of the work experience form that I filled in on the website. If she was waiting for an email with the form, then she would have missed the deadline to fill it in on their website (15th October).

How could she have filled a form in if she was never told about it? Surely that's not fair.
How could she have filled a form in if she was never told about it? Surely that's not fair.

Everyone was told about it in the RVC's entry requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma2220
Everyone was told about it in the RVC's entry requirements.

She went to an open day and asked about entry requirements and was just told the grades and the amount of work experience. They never mentioned anything about a form to her.
Reply 6

It's massively emphasised when applying, they mentioned it so many times on their open days and - if you read their admissions statement - they emphasise the importance of completing it before the deadline on there too
I know someone who didn't apply to the RVC but went to one of their open days and even they got emails in the run up to 15th October reminding them to complete the work experience form so it was very widely advertised.

Reply 8
Original post by animalmagic
I know someone who didn't apply to the RVC but went to one of their open days and even they got emails in the run up to 15th October reminding them to complete the work experience form so it was very widely advertised.

She never got any emails about this...she only got an email when she submitted her UCAS application (and that confirmation email was sent days later after the deadline).

It definitely sounds like she missed this information but equally sounds like others got emails about it which she definitely didn't.
Reply 9
Original post by animalmagic

Just remembered that they also sent out several reminders all over their social media, if you follow them on twitter/fb etc..
She never got any emails about this...she only got an email when she submitted her UCAS application (and that confirmation email was sent days later after the deadline).

It definitely sounds like she missed this information but equally sounds like others got emails about it which she definitely didn't.

I think you misunderstood, no one received emails concerning it or reminding you to complete it until you submitted the form but it was widely available on their website/social media and was brought up several time at their open days that I attended
Reply 11
Original post by luberry
I think you misunderstood, no one received emails concerning it or reminding you to complete it until you submitted the form but it was widely available on their website/social media and was brought up several time at their open days that I attended

Someone said "they got emails in the run up to 15th October reminding them to complete the work experience form" so clearly some people got reminder emails. She doesn't use social media :/ She never heard about this at the open day but that could just be she missed it. It's a real shame that she got rejected for just missing a form :/ It definitely sounds like they could have been a bit clearer by sending every applicant an email reminding them to do the form.

Oh well, thanks for the replies anyway.
Someone said "they got emails in the run up to 15th October reminding them to complete the work experience form" so clearly some people got reminder emails. She doesn't use social media :/ She never heard about this at the open day but that could just be she missed it. It's a real shame that she got rejected for just missing a form :/ It definitely sounds like they could have been a bit clearer by sending every applicant an email reminding them to do the form.

Oh okay, I definitely didn't receive any emails. Unfortunately it was one of those things where they said they wouldn't accept a late submission of it. Sorry not to have been of any further help - best of luck with the rest of her application
Reply 13
Original post by luberry
Oh okay, I definitely didn't receive any emails. Unfortunately it was one of those things where they said they wouldn't accept a late submission of it. Sorry not to have been of any further help - best of luck with the rest of her application

You've been very helpful! Thanks :smile:
Yes, they got at least one generic email from RVC reminding them of the 15th October deadline for their veterinary application and their RVC work experience form. I presume they "opted in" to emails when they registered for the open day. As I say they didn't apply to RVC in the end so it wasn't a targeted email.

I'm so sorry to hear about your student's rejection, especially for a paperwork issue like this. The application process for vet med is different for all the universities so it is very complicated to keep on top of it, especially if you are not on TSR as it is a source of such useful information and support all the way through.

There was definitely no email and tbh I do not understand RVCs reasoning behind it, but I imagine they must have a reason for them not to send the forms out.
Original post by Nessie162
There was definitely no email and tbh I do not understand RVCs reasoning behind it, but I imagine they must have a reason for them not to send the forms out.

I'd imagine it's because it would be more admin for them, but that's just my personal view - they haven't to my knowledge given an actual reason for it.

Spoiler

The thing is that the information about the work experience form is not included in their official Admissions Policy and Procedures document. This form is only available on their website under the entry requirements tab under FAQ. They should definitely be more clear about the process of selection. Its a shame so many applicants are disregarded because of a typicality. They don't even look at UCAS applications if the candidate hasn't filled out the form or has partially completed it, which is what happened to me. I already have four years experience as a vet assistant and I was certain that they would look at my personal statement, work experience and reference on UCAS when assessing my application, but they didn't...
Reply 18
Hello,

Thanks.

the form is online and it is explained with deadline and link on rvc website-doesnot get sent- student needsto check as also with edinburgh and liverpool
Reply 19

the website tells you about the form- she should have read this when applying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending