The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics Aptitude Test (PAT)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrSebWilkes
I hate to say it but the papers, at least before this year, haven't been getting much easier but the pass marks pretty much went up and up for a reason.

I suspect there are just more better people applying making that top 500 harder to get into. The pass mark this year will probably be about 55.

On a personal note, I do give up: I remembered all the stuff I got wrong and the list grows and grows. It's not even funny how much I got wrong. Past papers I was getting in the 70s and even 80s at times. People know me to be good at physics and when I was talking to some people (I know outside of TSR don't worry) about the PAT I was explaining [some!] answers to them that I knew deep down I didn't really do myself. I'm not standing here saying "oh I got 60 boo hoo" because I didn't even get 50. I'm saying all this not because I cheated after or because I had some long think, but because some of it really is straightforward. I don't do written tests well, and I have always done better at speaking and presenting points than writing but that's the game so ...

I do want think about next year. If I go for Cambridge next year, which if I am honest might have been the original place I wanted to go to if it not the fact they didn't do straight physics, because most people get an interview I might be able to get across I like physics and can hopefully do it to some degree even if the NSAA wouldn't go spectacularly to plan.

There is always the "forget oxbridge route" ... but I'm worried I can't do the dream job behind all this ...

I agree with what you're saying about the papers getting harder and the threshold getting higher, but there's no point kicking yourself about it!
At the end of the day, everyone who has applied for Oxford or Cambridge are clearly smart, even if they don't get in, and for that reason you will certainty get into a great university and do extremely well, even if it's not Oxbridge! There's no point applying to Oxford or Cambridge if they don't do what you want! They don't necessarily have the best subject departments in the country! They're just so oversubscribed because of their 'reputation'.
I think what I'm trying to say is, personally I would hate to go through doing another entrance exam, it was flipping stressful! And props to you if you want to wait and apply to Cambridge but
1. Do you really want to go through this whole process again?
2. Would you be applying to Cambridge because you genuinely like the course or just because it's Cambridge?
3. Do you want to turn down offers from other great unis that I'm sure you had?
4. Would you be able to live with yourself if you didn't give Cambridge a go?
If 4 is no, then you might want to because you don't want to regret not trying and always wonder "what if".
What do you think your PAT score is? A poll is online:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5033726
Hi guys, I am an international student from China and I also participated PAT, and I am worried about my PAT result.:frown:
Original post by LOngertaki
Hi guys, I am an international student from China and I also participated PAT, and I am worried about my PAT result.:frown:

Classic stereotypical Chinese problem: "worried about PAT result, but I think I got 90-100 marks". We better comfort him because if he gets 99 (or less) he might verge on depression and get abused by his parents for unsatisfactory performance.
Reply 24
Did any one work out the last question?
I found the correct method of the question, but the result is tooooooooo long. I cannot confirm that the result is correct.
Original post by Jenary
Did any one work out the last question?
I found the correct method of the question, but the result is tooooooooo long. I cannot confirm that the result is correct.

Can you show your working? Maybe we can help you?
Reply 26
Can you show your working? Maybe we can help you?

I remember the main part of the question, but I forget the element that need to be worked out. Could you please tell me the element.
Original post by Jenary
I remember the main part of the question, but I forget the element that need to be worked out. Could you please tell me the element.

One needed to find the conditions necessary for the ring to appear as if it was not moving ...
Reply 28
One needed to find the conditions necessary for the ring to appear as if it was not moving ...

The angle of observer or the depth of the ring?
Original post by Jenary
The angle of observer or the depth of the ring?

I don't know ... all I know was that the height of the observer was fixed and the depth of the ring was a variable ...
Reply 30
I don't know ... all I know was that the height of the observer was fixed and the depth of the ring was a variable ...

Photo on 15-11-2017 at 4.11 PM.jpg

I write the major part of my solution. But I do not finish the last step, because it is boring and time-consuming.
Have any interview invites or rejections been sent out for phys yet??
Original post by Anghdavies
Have any interview invites or rejections been sent out for phys yet??

Just got invited for an interview today
Original post by Levisual360
Just got invited for an interview today

Congrats! What college??
Congrats! What college??

st johns :P
st johns :P

Ahhh did you post in the Oxford Invites 2018 thread too?
Ahhh did you post in the Oxford Invites 2018 thread too?

yea i just did, what college did you apply to?
yea i just did, what college did you apply to?

Keble :smile:
Keble :smile:

Ah i got a friend who applied there, they havent heard back yet, have you?
Ah i got a friend who applied there, they havent heard back yet, have you?

Sadly I have not :frown: good luck to your friend!!

Quick Reply

Latest