The Student Room Group

I feel as though I'm worth less as a person due to my height

I'm 5'6" and since about the age of 11 or 12 (when I started getting bullied seriously due to my height) I'll occasionally feel really down and depressed.
I've been told repeatedly that other short men have been successful in life and that I should focus on the positive aspects. But this is neither useful advice nor is it reassuring. Successful short men tend to be talented (Danny Devito for example, is a talented actor and a funny dude). The "focus on the positives" doesn't really make me feel any better since those positive aspects won't matter when I'll be blindly judged on my height, whether it be from a potential partner or by an employer. I have worked and do work on improving myself (I dress nicely, go to the gym, make efforts to be interesting, am well groomed , am confident around others etc etc), however this only buys me temporary happiness in being proud of my achievements or whatever when I remember that it's how long I am that really determines whether someone will date me or not (for example).
Something else that does nothing to help is the fact that the only opinions that I've seen women hold towards shorter men are those which are very negative. One example is a post shared saying something along the lines of "every girls deserves a tall boyfriend" which got loads of likes, clearly implying that every girl deserves more than a just short guy (height = worth, lack of height = lack of worth). Another example is when this girl and a guy who's in charge of the organisation I volunteer for both agreed that she shouldn't date this guy because he wasn't tall enough for her. They spoke about him with such little respect, simply dismissing him as an option despite how nicely she had previously described him. Another is the multitude of women who say that dating a short man (a man the same height as them) only has disadvantages: they'll never get to stand on their tiptoes to kiss them, they'll never be able to wear high heels etc, and that these disadvantages have a huge sway on whether they date or not.
I feel as though no matter what I do, I'll never be able to be happy with being short and that as I grow older (and as height becomes more important) that these periods of lowered self worth and hopelessness will only become more frequent and more severe.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm 5'6" and since about the age of 11 or 12 (when I started getting bullied seriously due to my height) I'll occasionally feel really down and depressed.
I've been told repeatedly that other short men have been successful in life and that I should focus on the positive aspects. But this is neither useful advice nor is it reassuring. Successful short men tend to be talented (Danny Devito for example, is a talented actor and a funny dude). The "focus on the positives" doesn't really make me feel any better since those positive aspects won't matter when I'll be blindly judged on my height, whether it be from a potential partner or by an employer. I have worked and do work on improving myself (I dress nicely, go to the gym, make efforts to be interesting, am well groomed , am confident around others etc etc), however this only buys me temporary happiness in being proud of my achievements or whatever when I remember that it's how long I am that really determines whether someone will date me or not (for example).
Something else that does nothing to help is the fact that the only opinions that I've seen women hold towards shorter men are those which are very negative. One example is a post shared saying something along the lines of "every girls deserves a tall boyfriend" which got loads of likes, clearly implying that every girl deserves more than a just short guy (height = worth, lack of height = lack of worth). Another example is when this girl and a guy who's in charge of the organisation I volunteer for both agreed that she shouldn't date this guy because he wasn't tall enough for her. They spoke about him with such little respect, simply dismissing him as an option despite how nicely she had previously described him. Another is the multitude of women who say that dating a short man (a man the same height as them) only has disadvantages: they'll never get to stand on their tiptoes to kiss them, they'll never be able to wear high heels etc, and that these disadvantages have a huge sway on whether they date or not.
I feel as though no matter what I do, I'll never be able to be happy with being short and that as I grow older (and as height becomes more important) that these periods of lowered self worth and hopelessness will only become more frequent and more severe.

you must fight tooth and nail against feelings of worthlessness and also against the cancer of self-pity.
absolutely focus on your positive qualities; do your utmost to enhance them.
females pick up instantly on negative feelings in potential partners... you must give off positive energy.

Honestly mate, 5’6 isn’t too bad tbh. Just listen to what the guy above me said, he knows his stuff evidently.
Reply 3

No mate. Just no. You are not the sum of your height and your height is not the sum of YOU. Your character and confidence is the most important thing. Get out of that mindset as it's unhelpful.

Prince 5'2” and Winston Churchill 5'7”. What can you achieve? You're on the taller size of these two.....
(edited 6 years ago)
Sooner or later you've got to accept who you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you think someone that's 6ft is more valuable than you because they are a few inches taller than you?
Tbh I have no useful advice to give, other than the fact that I'm short (shorter than you :p: ) and feel the same way.

Pretty demoralising when you hear girls say stuff like, "I feel really sorry for short men, they have no chance of finding a girlfriend" lol. I could name countless similar examples of things girls have said lol.

Not that I blame them - girls can't help what they're attracted to. They can't exactly force themselves to find short men attractive. That's life, I guess.

Life is unfair, sadly. Feels kinda weird typing this, this is not the sort of thing I'd ever say to anyone in real life.
I feel as though no matter what I do, I'll never be able to be happy with being short and that as I grow older (and as height becomes more important) that these periods of lowered self-worth and hopelessness will only become more frequent and more severe.

honey noo u should never feel insecure about your height, short guys are not a problem, yes i admit it i heard girls say omg he short but after they start to talk to him etc they fall in love with his personality, not his height, and you being short should never stop them from being friends with them or be in a relationship with them...and if a girl says oh no i don't want to be with u because you are short then fu** her. and secondly your height dose not and i repeat dose not efect you if you area nice person you should be proud of yourself.
ps. i am short too..i grew up with my little sister taller than me (she is 5 years younger) and it didnt stop me from being happy even tho i always go teased
pss. remember big things come from small packages
Reply 8
Original post by Hirsty97
So you think someone that's 6ft is more valuable than you because they are a few inches taller than you?

It sounds stupid but from what I've experienced it seems to be that way. Short men over a 30 year period earn less than their taller counterparts because of the desirability of manliness when employing and promoting men.
I've only ever heard women talk negatively about short men, it only devalues someone as a potential partner, even if they're in love.
So yeah, I have reason to believe that shorter dudes aren't as valued as taller men, even if it's a few inches taller; biology and society are weird sometimes.
" I feel as if I'm worth less as a person..."

What's the average cost of human meat where you live?
You will grow out of it,trust me.When you will go out into the real world and professional life,things as trivial and immaterial as this won't matter.
Original post by Huw M Thomas
" I feel as if I'm worth less as a person..."

What's the average cost of human meat where you live?

I haven't checked but I've got less meat on me than my taller counterparts, my family won't get as much from selling me. Such is life as a manlet.
I haven't checked but I've got less meat on me than my taller counterparts, my family won't get as much from selling me. Such is life as a manlet.

In my experience, it's the quality of the meat that leads to an enjoyable experience, not the quantity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by arizonaidiot
You will grow out of it,trust me.When you will go out into the real world and professional life,things as trivial and immaterial as this won't matter.

I don't think it's trivial though. There are biological and societal reasons why it isn't trivial. Employers want "manly" men, clearly it matters to them whether a potential employee is 5'6" or 6'2" since the latter is more manly and will be a better employee in their eyes. When it comes to women, it is probably a hugely influential factor in their decision on whether they date or don't date someone. The biological reason being that taller men tend to be stronger and will make them feel small, weak and fragile (something which I've seen that many women need from a relationship). The societal reason being that a lot of women care about being able to wear high heels and also whether as a couple they will get looks due to being a similar height/her being taller. I've seen an example of a woman who was having second thoughts about marrying her partner because she wanted to wear heels on her wedding day but didn't want to be as tall/taller than him.
Original post by markovchain17
Sooner or later you've got to accept who you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, my problem is that I don't know how to :/
Original post by Huw M Thomas
In my experience, it's the quality of the meat that leads to an enjoyable experience, not the quantity.

Sadly I'm not a piece of meat, people enjoy meat because of it's quality (as you have correctly identified), but different people like people for different reasons. Women like men when they're long because that's more manly and it makes them feel fragile, small etc.
It sounds stupid but from what I've experienced it seems to be that way. Short men over a 30 year period earn less than their taller counterparts because of the desirability of manliness when employing and promoting men.
I've only ever heard women talk negatively about short men, it only devalues someone as a potential partner, even if they're in love.
So yeah, I have reason to believe that shorter dudes aren't as valued as taller men, even if it's a few inches taller; biology and society are weird sometimes.

People are idiots and in general taller people are perceived better but it's not the only factor in getting promoted is height unless it's basketball.
Find a short girl, and she probs won't care about your height
You cannot let something you cannot change define you or bring you done, Im a 5’3 girl and honestly couldn’t give 2 hoots about you’re height , 5’6 is tall for me but generally speaking don’t think about it too much because the more you thing about this , the more it brings you down, you’re depressed about your height whereas someone else is depressed about their weight and someone else is depressed by their skin colour etc. Just forget all that and think positive 👍🏼
I thought you were going to say you were 5ft or something lmao. I don't understand why a lot of men are so insecure about nit being 6ft, it's so silly and stupid. You can't changeyour height and that is pretty much the average height for a man anyways, so going by your logic, very few men would ever get a girlfriend. I'm a 5'1 women and i still see other women shoerter than me. I don't want to date a man who is over 6ft, what's the point if i have to climb a moutain just to give him a kiss? I'm sure it is the same with other short women.

Quick Reply

Latest