The Student Room Group

Ask a maths first year

I'm very bored and have work that needs doing but thought I would come on here and answer some questions to procrastinate.

P.s. this isn't an 'AMA', only uni/course/UCAS/uni life questions please!
Reply 1
uni?
Reply 2
Original post by JSM1
uni?

York. Are you currently in the process of applying?
Original post by jamestg
I'm very bored and have work that needs doing but thought I would come on here and answer some questions to procrastinate.

P.s. this isn't an 'AMA', only uni/course/UCAS/uni life questions please!

How are you finding the maths so far? Are you enjoying it? Considering straight maths? Are you struggling without further maths?
Reply 4
Original post by jamestg
York. Are you currently in the process of applying?

Yes, i hope to get an offer for economics and finance at york.
What did you get in your a levels?
Reply 5
Original post by MajorFader
How are you finding the maths so far? Are you enjoying it? Considering straight maths? Are you struggling without further maths?

I'm finding it really interesting and quite enjoyable. While I hate proofs, it's nice to actually see how things work (like forming quotient numbers from the rationals) and it's far more rigorous. There's lots to learn but the structure is quite rigid and consistent. No powerpoint slides just theorem after lemma after corollary after example.

I've considered it yes but I may stick to joint Econ and Maths, not sure I'd cope well with the mechanics! I'm not struggling in terms of the course content, I'm struggling from moving from mainly essay based subjects at A-level to 20+hrs of maths contact hours every week.
Reply 6
Original post by JSM1
Yes, i hope to get an offer for economics and finance at york.
What did you get in your a levels?

A*AB :smile:
Original post by jamestg
I'm finding it really interesting and quite enjoyable. While I hate proofs, it's nice to actually see how things work (like forming quotient numbers from the rationals) and it's far more rigorous. There's lots to learn but the structure is quite rigid and consistent. No powerpoint slides just theorem after lemma after corollary after example.

I've considered it yes but I may stick to joint Econ and Maths, not sure I'd cope well with the mechanics! I'm not struggling in terms of the course content, I'm struggling from moving from mainly essay based subjects at A-level to 20+hrs of maths contact hours every week.

I got an offer for maths at york and had a bit of doubts especially since I haven’t done further maths. They go over that in first year?
Reply 8
Original post by MajorFader
I got an offer for maths at york and had a bit of doubts especially since I haven’t done further maths. They go over that in first year?

Pretty much.

First year consists of Algebra (FM - complex numbers, matrices), Stats (S1-3), Calculus (FM - C1-4, FP2-3), Maths Skills (FM - proof by induction), Mechanics (M1-3/4 maybe not 100% sure) and real analysis (no overlap with FM).

That's the overlap pretty much. Just be warned the pace is very quick and in cases quicker than other universities - terms are only one week longer than Oxbridge and the contact hours are high.
Reply 9
My son is currently doing Maths in first year. He's told me what he enjoys and doesn't enjoy about Maths. For year 2 he has to pick two pairs out of the following modules - what do you think you would pick:

Pure Mathematics (Group Theory & Geometry and Topology)
Applied Mathematics (Introduction to Applied Maths & Applications of Vector Calculus)
Statistics (Statistical Distribution Theory & Statistical Methods 1)

Also he has to pick one of Stochastic Processes or Algorithms.
Reply 10
Original post by nutz99
My son is currently doing Maths in first year. He's told me what he enjoys and doesn't enjoy about Maths. For year 2 he has to pick two pairs out of the following modules - what do you think you would pick:

Pure Mathematics (Group Theory & Geometry and Topology)
Applied Mathematics (Introduction to Applied Maths & Applications of Vector Calculus)
Statistics (Statistical Distribution Theory & Statistical Methods 1)

Also he has to pick one of Stochastic Processes or Algorithms.

Deffo pure maths and statistics. Hate mechanics with a passion so would be awful at applied maths. Probably stochastic processes for the latter question!
Why would you do such a boring subject?
Reply 12
Original post by mariejuana
Why would you do such a boring subject?

Because I grew to loathe essays after my time in sixth form.
Reply 13
Original post by jamestg
Deffo pure maths and statistics. Hate mechanics with a passion so would be awful at applied maths. Probably stochastic processes for the latter question!
Just goes to show how different everyone is. He hates statistics probably as much as you hate mechanics so he's not taking that. As he took Further Maths he's quite comfortable with Algorithms so he's taking that too.

He's still thinking about a career path but anything involving statistics is definitely now out :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending