The Student Room Group

Is it bad to throw away unconditional offer?

I received a unconditional offer at Sheffield Hallam university, but deep down I want to go to university of Leeds (Where I got a conditional offer)

Should I throw away this unconditional offer?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
What course?
Yes - you should pick the course you want to go to as your firm, not the one the universities want you to go to
Reply 3
Original post by peeked
What course?

So the course is called BA Education Studies
Yes, that's fine. You want to select the university you like the most, not whether the offer is unconditional or conditional. Go for Leeds if it makes you happier!
Reply 5
Lol education studies it doesn’t really matter mate you can just refuse it and just go for Leeds
Original post by Peterbokor
I received a unconditional offer at Sheffield Hallam university, but deep down I want to go to university of Leeds (Where I got a conditional offer)

If you prefer Leeds then that’s the right place to firm.

You can always use the unconditional as your insurance choice if you like it. Even if it’s a manipulative “unconditional if firmed” offer they’re still likely to accept you with grades well below your predictions(that’s why they’re trying to manipulate you into picking them as firm).
Reply 7
Original post by cheesecakelove
Yes, that's fine. You want to select the university you like the most, not whether the offer is unconditional or conditional. Go for Leeds if it makes you happier!

But then that means less stress on exams (as it doesn’t dictate whether I go to uni or not) and also I might not get the grades 😬

Firm Leeds. You said deep down that you want to go to Leeds rather than SH.

Do not let Sheffield Hallam swing you to them just because they've tempted you with an unconditional. They are clearly desperate for students, hence the unconditional. The unconditional offer was not made in YOUR best interests.

These unconditional if firmed offers are the spawn of satan and students are easily fooled by them. Do not fall for their tricks.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by peeked
Lol education studies it doesn’t really matter mate you can just refuse it and just go for Leeds

What do you mean it doesn’t matter?
Original post by Blue_Cow
Firm Leeds. You said deep down that you want to go to Leeds rather than SH.

Do not let Sheffield Hallam swing you to them just because they've tempted you with an unconditional. They are clearly desperate for students, hence the unconditional. The unconditional offer was not made in YOUR best interests.

Thank you, Sheffield Hallam isn’t exactly the best university
Reply 11
What do you mean it doesn’t matter?

So like it doesn’t matter if you refuse, it’s only education studies. Do what you want - so in this case go to Leeds.
Reply 12
Thank you, Sheffield Hallam isn’t exactly the best university

Firm Leeds. If you don't get the grades you'll most likely be able to get in through clearing, and almost definitely will get through clearing for Sheffield Hallam.
If you really want to go to Leeds then make it your firm choice, the uni has given you an offer so they know you're good enough to get the grades and if you want to go there then you'll most likely work for the grades you need. Make Sheffield Hallam your insurance so if worst comes to worst you'll definitely have a place in a uni :smile:
Original post by gee-9819
If you really want to go to Leeds then make it your firm choice, the uni has given you an offer so they know you're good enough to get the grades and if you want to go there then you'll most likely work for the grades you need. Make Sheffield Hallam your insurance so if worst comes to worst you'll definitely have a place in a uni :smile:

Sheffield is only uncond if I firm them
Sheffield is only uncond if I firm them

Ah I see, honestly though the point still stands about Leeds. You have the offer so they believe you're good enough to get the grades. SH would probably still accept you if you insured them and didn't get what they wanted if they've given an unconditional, although worst came to worst there's always clearing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending