The Student Room Group

What do you think your oxford PAT 2017 score is?

This poll is closed

What do you think your Oxford PAT 2017 score is?

0-9 0%
10-19 2%
20-29 9%
30-39 12%
40-49 18%
50-59 23%
60-69 19%
70-79 9%
80-89 2%
90-1006%
Total votes: 90
What do you think your oxford PAT 2017 score is? One can similarly vote on this marvelous google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BIRpKNvDuyJEH4Trfy-avs8abOyUPYu2lk_4_BNeP5w/edit?usp=sharing
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Abysmal that's what. Especially because I HAVE COMPILED A CHART THAT SHOWS WHAT THE PASS MARK SHOULD BE FROM THE DATA RECEIVED FROM TSR.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BIRpKNvDuyJEH4Trfy-avs8abOyUPYu2lk_4_BNeP5w/edit?usp=sharing
(edited 6 years ago)
Any estimates on the interview cut off?
Original post by Quantum42

I am pretty confident it will be within the 55-58 mark.

I think that it'll be interesting to find out. In previous years (2006 I think?) it has dipped to mid 40s and this paper was by most people's opinions harder. Then again, people sitting these earlier papers wouldn't have had similar prep without many past papers to go over.

Also, even though it was very hard, I think that quite a lot people still think that they scored above the 50 mark, so it probably won't be the lowest boundary yet.

I'm thinking around 50 - 55.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AHappyStudent
I think that it'll be interesting to find out. In previous years (2006 I think?) it has dipped to mid 40s and this paper was by most people's opinions harder. Then again, people sitting these earlier papers wouldn't have had similar prep without many past papers to go over.

Also, even though it was very hard, I think that quite a lot people still think that they scored above the 50 mark, so it probably won't be the lowest boundary yet.

I'm thinking around 50 - 55.

I'm hearing the big mark calculus question could only be done with a very advanced technique. If this is true, it might push down the boundaries even more?

If it isn't, then 55 is about spot on I think. It makes sense, as much as some insist it will be low. RE: papers were getting easier ... the 2014 paper was a 55 mark pass and this was miles harder than the 2014 paper. So optimistically, it might be a 50?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DrSebWilkes
I'm hearing the big mark calculus question could only be done with a very advanced technique. If this is true, it might push down the boundaries even more?

If it isn't, then 55 is about spot on I think. It makes sense, as much as some insist it will be low. RE: papers were getting easier ... the 2014 paper was a 55 mark pass and this was miles harder than the 2014 paper. So optimistically, it might be a 50?

Do you know when we get to find out what it is?
Do you know when we get to find out what it is?

When the 2017 report comes out, which I think is in January but I might be wrong.

It's worth bearing in mind that Oxford was ranked first for two years in a row now, and so it may be that PAT is getting harder in anticipation of a higher number of applicants, I found the 2016 paper was already getting a little bit harder (still nothing compared to 2017) and the interview cut off wasn't very low.
Not sure how big a difference it could make but it's my gut feeling.
Hi guys I just updated my first post here, and here is the interpolated pass mark from the data received. It should give you an idea of what's going on. As I figured I'm definitely out of the running.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BIRpKNvDuyJEH4Trfy-avs8abOyUPYu2lk_4_BNeP5w/edit?usp=sharing
Guys seriously, what is the point of this? Not only is this all relying on complete guesses but you don't even know if this sample is at all representative of the people who took the PAT (and it probably isn't). The exam is over - worry about things that are actually in your control now!
Original post by Plagioclase
Guys seriously, what is the point of this? Not only is this all relying on complete guesses but you don't even know if this sample is at all representative of the people who took the PAT (and it probably isn't). The exam is over - worry about things that are actually in your control now!

The MAT lot have one; unlike say something like history I suppose it's quite easy to work out where one has gone right or not. When I look at the data, I obviously take it with a pinch of salt. For one thing, as I currently speak, there are only 39 respondents, which isn;t a very large sample size. Also, "traditionally" speaking, whether it be A-levels or indeed as mentioned on the MAT thread, TSR does attract the type of person who cares more about grades and academic performance than those who do not; so as a snapshot of how well people have done, TSR will always overestimate - but in the Oxbridge case it's obvious it's not just about baseline PAT score, because even if I did get an interview now its' evidently clear there are plenty of people with higher scores. Some people really like to see facts and numbers presented to them to then draw their own conclusions and whatnot - I for one am in that boat.

Yes I am probably not undergoing the best quality of life worrying about these things but being ignorant and not knowing might just well be worse.
Original post by TheOneAndOnlyOne
What do you think your oxford PAT 2017 score is? One can similarly vote on this marvelous google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BIRpKNvDuyJEH4Trfy-avs8abOyUPYu2lk_4_BNeP5w/edit?usp=sharing

I'd be genuinely shocked if i got over 30!
Original post by Anghdavies
I'd be genuinely shocked if i got over 30!

I know it was horrible. I think at this stage if I do get an invite ... I don't know what to think. Some people tell me it's not the end of the world but I sort of think it probably is.

Anyone else have any idea roughly when we will start hearing feedback? Do rejections come first?
Hey Guys! As interview offers are starting to out, it's still hard to say how close our predicted pass-mark was but suffice to say if you're getting 60+ you should be doing okay.

Keep on in there, guys!
Hey Guys! As interview offers are starting to out, it's still hard to say how close our predicted pass-mark was but suffice to say if you're getting 60+ you should be doing okay.

Keep on in there, guys!

You heard back yet?

Keep on in there, guys!

What sort of mark do you think would give you a good chance of an actual offer?
Original post by Anghdavies
You heard back yet?

No I am afraid I have not.

What sort of mark do you think would give you a good chance of an actual offer?

Hmm well it is normally about 15-20 over the pass is where the average is so actually to be honest with you I think I'd take it at face value - it's an average.
Hmm well it is normally about 15-20 over the pass is where the average is so actually to be honest with you I think I'd take it at face value - it's an average.

Sorry, what do you mean by that?
Sorry, what do you mean by that?

Well what I mean is the average mark held by a candidate whom has received an offer is about 15-20 above the minimum pass mark but that is an average.

Average

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending