The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Nothing, they can't afford to give me money with themselves and my siblings to support.
Not that i expect it, although it would be nice if Student finance gave me a bit more than they currently do...
well.... i am still in 6th form and my parents are paying everything for me. 20000$ for school 200$ per week for a homestay family and 1000$ each for me to spend. i am an international student. they dont pay a lot for my brother because he is in Uni and is getting loan
Reply 142
wow, people on here are so lucky. I can't beleive that their parents are paying for their accomodation AND like £x each month! My accomodation is over £4,000 a year, shocking!
I've worked in a shop for my gap year, and saved what I can to pay for uni along with my loan and pathetic £200 a year grant which I'm appealing - I have no idea how they worked it out seeing as they lost all my forms and stuff.. Yeah I should just about cope, this year anyhows - I'll be living on my savings at the loan just covers accomodation. My mum is buying me a new duvet cover for uni and if I can persuade her, a bottle of vodka and thats my lot!
As technically I am self-dependent having worked for 3 years before starting uni in september I am entitled to the full loan, full grant and a bursary from the uni.
My parents paid for my brother to go to university and thus feel they have to do the same with me. I have refused their offers of assistance and have told them to instead put the money aside for their future as they've invested in mine for the past 21 years. They continue to ignore my refusal and insist they'll be paying £60 into my bank every month.

If they actually do this I'll be putting the money into a seperate account and booking for them to go on holiday or something at the end of the university year, this way they cant refuse :smile:
Reply 144
There's savings/endowment thingy for me that matures in July which has £6000 in we think so that will supplement my loan as I dont qualify for any more than the basic.
My Nans gone overboard on giving me stuff as Im the first on her side to go to uni so all my cooking stuff is done. Then again she is a chef so has loads of cooking stuff :o:
My Gran will do her "survival pack" whenever I see her. This is things like 3 for 2 baked beans :biggrin:
schpanzy
wow, people on here are so lucky. I can't beleive that their parents are paying for their accomodation AND like £x each month! My accomodation is over £4,000 a year, shocking!
I've worked in a shop for my gap year, and saved what I can to pay for uni along with my loan and pathetic £200 a year grant which I'm appealing - I have no idea how they worked it out seeing as they lost all my forms and stuff.. Yeah I should just about cope, this year anyhows - I'll be living on my savings at the loan just covers accomodation. My mum is buying me a new duvet cover for uni and if I can persuade her, a bottle of vodka and thats my lot!

I completely agree. I had to do a gap year to get some money and go with minimum financial support. Some people don't know how privileged they are.
Reply 146
Hiphopopotamus
I completely agree. I had to do a gap year to get some money and go with minimum financial support. Some people don't know how privileged they are.

Indeed, I'm shocked at how much parental support people get on here! :eek: I'm jealous :p:

I'm on a gap year too in order to be able to afford my studies. No help whatsoever from the parents, or from Student Finances. They have their own debts and bills to pay. It's tough, but it's a great life lesson, and at least I know the value of money.
i hopefully will be getting about £60-£70 a week from my parents in addition to the loans i'm elligible for, the measly 200 and odd pounds grant, £400 of my own money and some off my nan and grandad. fortunately my dad took out some shares with his company that happen to be perfoming well and mature in summer. my parents have always said they'd support me as best as they can. i mean, surely one parental duty is to give their son/daughter the best start in life and i hope that once i'm older and in a good job, i can repay just like they are doing with my grandparents now, not just financially but helping them with odd jobs around the house, going on days out & breaks, y'know.
Nothing. My mum gave me half a bottle of rum and a bottle of Pimms she found somewhere to take with me. My dad gave me £50 or something when I left.

I'm not bothered though, it does mean I have to work, but it also means I'm good at managing money etc, and it also means they absolutely cannot bitch or moan about what I do. If I do poorly then I only have myself to answer to. It also means that I'm pretty motivated to do well as it's my own money I'm investing in the education.
Reply 149
Mine have been very generous, they even offered to cover the tuition which I found to be too much and took a loan instead. All in all about 6 grand this year I think. This covers my rent and flights home. Last year I lived in a mouldy shack so their contribution was about 2 grand.
My fees are paid by the NHS, which is one less thing to worry about, but my parents have agreed to help out with my rent and I'm going to pay them back when I graduate. I can get a small bursary (all of which will go on rent) and a reduced loan, so I'm probably being quite ambitious in thinking that I'll be able to afford bills, food, travel and insurance with the little money I'll have remaining, but I'll just have to see. :s-smilie:
Reply 151
Mine are paying for my accommodation and living costs/books/etc and giving me an allowance. They don't want me to be in debt after uni, and don't want me to need to get a job either.
Original post by serrellen
Mine are giving me a £65 a month allowance when I'm at uni, paying for my accommodation and either helping me out with/paying off completely my student loan when I leave. I feel extremely lucky when reading lots of threads full of people who have to pay for everything for university themselves... wondered what an average x-section of TSR would yield about how much parents tend to contribute to an offspring's uni life?

Nothing. She is on peanuts and I get the full amount of Maintenence from SFE so I don't need any support
Original post by Hedwig2189
Nothing. She is on peanuts and I get the full amount of Maintenence from SFE so I don't need any support

Hi, please check the thread date before posting. This thread is from 2010.

Latest

Trending

Trending