The Student Room Group

Prove determinator of matrix by induction.

Hi, I have the matrix:
Matrix.PNG
This is a nxn matrix, named An, it's determinator is called dn.
I have to find a determinator for every n element of N (including 0).
I have an idea, that the determinator dn = n + 1. So d0 = 1, d1 = 2, d2 = 3 and d3 = 4, but I have absolutely no clue how I can prove this.
I have to use induction to show it, but I don't know how to.
Original post by hlu4ff
Hi, I have the matrix:
Matrix.PNG
This is a nxn matrix, named An, it's determinator is called dn.
I have to find a determinator for every n element of N (including 0).
I have an idea, that the determinator dn = n + 1. So d0 = 1, d1 = 2, d2 = 3 and d3 = 4, but I have absolutely no clue how I can prove this.
I have to use induction to show it, but I don't know how to.

One way, there may be a quicker; to start you want to set up a recurrence relation on dnd_n. So expand the determinant, and see if you can express it in terms of the determinant of smaller matrices An1,An2A_{n-1}, A_{n-2}, etc. as necessary.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Yes, I have tried this, but how can I prove this statement for dn to be true?
Original post by hlu4ff
Yes, I have tried this, but how can I prove this statement for dn to be true?

If you've tried it, I presume you now have a formula for dnd_n in terms of the previous/lower d values.

This is what you need for the induction.

Base cases n=1, n=2, you have shown.

Assume true for all values up to dkd_k

Then show it's true for dk+1d_{k+1} using that formula, and what you know of the previous values.
Reply 4
Yes, I have found them and I have tried to show that it's true for d(k+1) but it didn't work yet... My formula is that dn = 2d(n-1) - d(n-2).
Original post by hlu4ff
Yes, I have found them and I have tried to show that it's true for d(k+1) but it didn't work yet... My formula is that dn = 2d(n-1) - d(n-2).

Agree with your formula.

So, your base bases are d1=2,d2=3d_1=2, d_2=3, which you've already worked out explicitly.

We now asssume it's true for all did_i where i{1,2,...,k}i\in\{1,2,...,k\} - note we're using strong induction, rather than the weak induction usually used at A-level.

in particular.

dk=(k)+1=k+1d_{k}=( k)+1= k+1

and

dk1=(k1)+1=kd_{k-1}=(k-1)+1=k

And apply the formula to determine dk+1d_{k+1}
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Yes, I know how to prove that with strong induction, but why can I use this formula for dn, don´t I have to prove it first? (I mean the formula dn = 2d(n-1) - d(n-2))
Original post by hlu4ff
Yes, I know how to prove that with strong induction, but why can I use this formula for dn, don´t I have to prove it first? (I mean the formula dn = 2d(n-1) - d(n-2))

I thought you had proved the formula; otherwise where did it come from?
Reply 8
Well, it worked, so does dn = d(n-1) +1, but I have no clue how to prove any of these formulas
Original post by hlu4ff
Well, it worked, so does dn = d(n-1) +1, but I have no clue how to prove any of these formulas

"Well it worked" - Hum! Not the formula that would first come to mind if you were dreaming something up.

Go back to my first post - 7 hours ago! Expand the determinant - initially by the first row.

Quick Reply

Latest