The Student Room Group

Alex's GYG - A*BB to A*A*A*?

I probably should've started this earlier on in the academic year but there's nothing I can do about that now so I'll just start from now onwards :P

A bit of context: I'm a year 12 student, studying English Literature, French, and English Language. I'm also doing an EPQ on the history of Anglicisms in Modern Russian, which I hope to get an A on.
I want to study French and Russian at Cambridge or Edinburgh (I think. I'm torn between Russian and Linguistics & French and Russian but leaning more towards French than Linguistics); I didn't really put 100% into my GCSEs (I got decent grades but not what I could have achieved if I really put my mind to it) so this is my chance to redeem myself, I guess!
Original post by alexseb31
I probably should've started this earlier on in the academic year but there's nothing I can do about that now so I'll just start from now onwards :P

A bit of context: I'm a year 12 student, studying English Literature, French, and English Language. I'm also doing an EPQ on the history of Anglicisms in Modern Russian, which I hope to get an A on.
I want to study French and Russian at Cambridge or Edinburgh (I think. I'm torn between Russian and Linguistics & French and Russian but leaning more towards French than Linguistics); I didn't really put 100% into my GCSEs (I got decent grades but not what I could have achieved if I really put my mind to it) so this is my chance to redeem myself, I guess!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Good luck! :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
I'm a bit confused about why the thread title shows going from 1 set of grades to another. I assumed you were in year 13 but then read your intro, so are you currently retaking year 12?

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by banter phalanx
I'm a bit confused about why the thread title shows going from 1 set of grades to another. I assumed you were in year 13 but then read your intro, so are you currently retaking year 12?

Best of luck :smile:

Oh, no - the first ones are my predicted grades based on what I got in my GCSEs, the 3 at the end are the grades I’m hoping to get. I’m not retaking, sorry if that confused you & thank you! :smile:
Quick question from a GCSE student stressed about a levels, how are you finding English language? I know i want to take lit, but i'm debating whether or not to go the whole hog and take English language too
Best of luck!:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by troubletracking
Quick question from a GCSE student stressed about a levels, how are you finding English language? I know i want to take lit, but i'm debating whether or not to go the whole hog and take English language too
Best of luck!:smile:

I love English language :smile: the main thing that you probably need to know is that it’s not like GCSE English language - the first half term or so is all about the basics and learning terminology, the linguistic frameworks etc. I found it quite hard to begin with and a lot of people in my class dropped out because the first half term is a lot to take in but if you get past that it’s really interesting, certainly for me anyways. Then again, I’m a total languages nerd. I would recommend it though if you like the actual mechanics of language and stuff like that. :smile: English literature is considered the most facilitating out of the two english courses, and some colleges do a combined lit/Lang course (mine didn’t, but it exists).
Original post by alexseb31
I love English language :smile: the main thing that you probably need to know is that it’s not like GCSE English language - the first half term or so is all about the basics and learning terminology, the linguistic frameworks etc. I found it quite hard to begin with and a lot of people in my class dropped out because the first half term is a lot to take in but if you get past that it’s really interesting, certainly for me anyways. Then again, I’m a total languages nerd. I would recommend it though if you like the actual mechanics of language and stuff like that. :smile: English literature is considered the most facilitating out of the two english courses, and some colleges do a combined lit/Lang course (mine didn’t, but it exists).

Wow, thank you for your advice!:smile: Really on the fence at the moment because I love English and the technical side of it, but I'm unsure whether I'll like the whole course because I actually liked GCSE English language (unpopular opinion, I know:redface:). Probably going to take it anyway and see what's it like, so thanks again for reassuring me:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by troubletracking
Wow, thank you for your advice!:smile: Really on the fence at the moment because I love English and the technical side of it, but I'm unsure whether I'll like the whole course because I actually liked GCSE English language (unpopular opinion, I know:redface:). Probably going to take it anyway and see what's it like, so thanks again for reassuring me:biggrin:

No worries :smile: It depends which exam board you're on anyway but I think you'd enjoy it, I can't even remember what English Language was like at GCSE just that I didn't really mind it. If your college is anything like mine then they'll let you change subjects within the first couple of weeks anyway if you're not really feeling it once you've tried it out. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending