Zonyali123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have done the practice test online, and I just cannot answer the mental arithmetic questions on time. Eightheen seconds is all I have to answer one question. Can someone please tell me how to become quicker? I haven't revised I just tried the practice test to see what it's like. I got 70% on the none audio literacy test.
misslh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm the same Zonyali123, fine with the literacy but really struggled on the maths practice test especially the mental maths section.

The advice I have taken from previous threads on this topic is to revise, revise, revise and make sure you revise the different methods and strategies of answering the mental arithmetic questions. People have also suggested watching videos on websites and buying books. The website numeracy first website has also been mentioned (there is a fee for this site), I am holding off joining that though until I've tried all the other methods.

Good luck.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ensure you only need to listen to the question once. Have some paper and a pencil handy and write everything down. You should also learn certain sums like the fact that 25^2 is 625. Ensure you are really good at your times tables up to at least 12.

This is a great book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Num...6RQ2G4FPWXF7D1

Good luck!
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=ByEeek;74805682]Ensure you only need to listen to the question once. Have some paper and a pencil handy and write everything down. You should also learn certain sums like the fact that 25^2 is 625. Ensure you are really good at your times tables up to at least 12.

That's the thing. I'm crap at times table; I didn't even bother learning them when doing GCSE.
Gremlin78
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm looking at this too and have had lots of advice suggesting Numeracy Ready and Peter's tests. I've not used them but I've heard they are great and I will be having a good look at them to help me with my revision. I'd rather pay a bit than sit the tests more than once!!
I have been told by colleagues that learning the times tables, learning the decimal point equivalents of fractions and being able to add on in the 24 hour clock is very helpful.....sorry, not much help but hopefully will get you started like me!
Jh91
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zonyali123)
I have done the practice test online, and I just cannot answer the mental arithmetic questions on time. Eightheen seconds is all I have to answer one question. Can someone please tell me how to become quicker? I haven't revised I just tried the practice test to see what it's like. I got 70% on the none audio literacy test.
I passed mine on Saturday (after almost crying whilst in there I panicked so much!!!) and I really struggle with maths.

The best thing I did was on the same website where you log in and do the practice tests is to download and read the “specification” it’s just the government booklet on what’s covered within the Numeracy Test (think it literally is called “what areas of Numeracy are covered” or something). It was so valuable because it splits everything up and I went through and crossed out the topics I knew I was okay-ish at and then focused on the bits I know I’m terrible at.

I then found free videos on YouTube of a guy working through the mental arithmetic section (Mat’s Maths or something).

Other than that I just kept doing the practice papers (careful you don’t become too familiar with the numbers though and just learn the answers) and learnt the common equivalent decimal, fraction and percentages and practised my times tables.

When I first started I too couldn’t answer the question in the allotted time, by the end I was answering by the time she read it out again!

Good luck, if I can do it anyone can!
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jh91)
I passed mine on Saturday (after almost crying whilst in there I panicked so much!!!) and I really struggle with maths.

The best thing I did was on the same website where you log in and do the practice tests is to download and read the “specification” it’s just the government booklet on what’s covered within the Numeracy Test (think it literally is called “what areas of Numeracy are covered” or something). It was so valuable because it splits everything up and I went through and crossed out the topics I knew I was okay-ish at and then focused on the bits I know I’m terrible at.

I then found free videos on YouTube of a guy working through the mental arithmetic section (Mat’s Maths or something).

Other than that I just kept doing the practice papers (careful you don’t become too familiar with the numbers though and just learn the answers) and learnt the common equivalent decimal, fraction and percentages and practised my times tables.

When I first started I too couldn’t answer the question in the allotted time, by the end I was answering by the time she read it out again!

I have been revising, and looking at YouTube videos. I don't know anything about whisker plots etc because I didn't learn any of it when I did my GCSE. I'm trying my best to answer the mental arithmetic questions within the time limit, but it's quite difficult. How long did you revise for?
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Ensure you only need to listen to the question once. Have some paper and a pencil handy and write everything down. You should also learn certain sums like the fact that 25^2 is 625. Ensure you are really good at your times tables up to at least 12.

This is a great book
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Passing-Num...6RQ2G4FPWXF7D1

Good luck!
If you have any tips then please share.
Jh91
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have been revising, and looking at YouTube videos. I don't know anything about whisker plots etc because I didn't learn any of it when I did my GCSE. I'm trying my best to answer the mental arithmetic questions within the time limit, but it's quite difficult. How long did you revise for?
I booked my test about 3/4 weeks in advance then practised on and off then the full week beforehand.

I wouldn’t recommend booking until you are confident as you don’t want to end up paying for a second attempt if you don’t have to.

Have you been on BBC Bitesize website to try and revise whisker plots? All you really need to know about them is that the highest and lowest lines (the whiskers) show the range (highest and lowest value), the middle line shows the mean (average) and the box shows 50% of people whilst the two bits outside the box are each 25% of people.

I learnt all of this whilst revising as I did my GCSEs ten years ago and couldn’t remember a thing. Read the government booklet I talked about in my first post as that’s where I learnt most of it.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you have any tips then please share.
Buy the book I recommended and read it?
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
I have registered on the QTS maths tutor website. Is it good? It's got a 5 star rating, and its trustpilot score is 9.7.
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jh91)

How would you answer this question? I think it's class H because the total of all the people, in every class, who speak 2 languages is 18, and the class who has half of 18 people who speak 2 languages is H.

?Name:  IMG_9211.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  116.0 KB
Jh91
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How would you answer this question? I think it's class H because the total of all the people, in every class, who speak 2 languages is 18, and the class who has half of 18 people who speak 2 languages is H.

?Name:  IMG_9211.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  116.0 KB
Yeh it is class H you are right. I remember this question from the practice exams (doesn’t look like you are using the official ones though?) and remember thinking it was really badly worded and quite confusing.
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jh91)
Yeh it is class H you are right. I remember this question from the practice exams (doesn’t look like you are using the official ones though?) and remember thinking it was really badly worded and quite confusing.
I found this question on a Facebook group. I was a bit confused at first, because of the way it's worded, but I eventually understood. I hope I get all of them, and that I get better at the mental arithmetic.
phartnett6
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Again, revise and simplify where possible e.g. 25/100 = 1/4 etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.06%
No (322)
75.94%

Watched Threads