The Student Room Group

Study hours

Hello guys, I'm a high school who is about to appear in the final examinations this year.
I'm pretty confused about the time to be spent studying. Currently ,I spent 9-10 hours a day studying and preparing for the exams .
Is this enough or should I increase the time devoted to my studies?.
Original post by Aarohan
Hello guys, I'm a high school who is about to appear in the final examinations this year.
I'm pretty confused about the time to be spent studying. Currently ,I spent 9-10 hours a day studying and preparing for the exams .

That's how much I did for my science igcses.I would say it's better to do 4-5 hours of quality revision and get top grades rather then 9-10 hours of torturing yourself to study,only to end up with bad grades.
What you're doing is more than enough! My one worry for you is that you'll burn yourself out before you even reach your exams. If you work yourself too hard for too long you're going to hit a wall so hard and overstress yourself (I know cause I did this in year 10). It's not a nice thing to go through. I wouldn't increase it anymore and please, for your own health, take breaks and have days off.
Reply 3
Original post by arizonaidiot
That's how much I did for my science igcses.I would say it's better to do 4-5 hours of quality revision and get top grades rather then 9-10 hours of torturing yourself to study,only to end up with bad grades.

I see.
Reply 4
Original post by yeahthatonethere
What you're doing is more than enough! My one worry for you is that you'll burn yourself out before you even reach your exams. If you work yourself too hard for too long you're going to hit a wall so hard and overstress yourself (I know cause I did this in year 10). It's not a nice thing to go through. I wouldn't increase it anymore and please, for your own health, take breaks and have days off.

What's the ideal study duration according to you?
Original post by Aarohan
What's the ideal study duration according to you?

It's hard to put into hours per day and I can't really remember how I revised for GCSEs but for A Levels I get home at about 4pm and revise/work until around about 7pm (sometimes more). I don't do anything on Fridays usually and have then as a break day. I'll then revise in chunks on weekends. From 10-12 then 1-3 then 4-6 or something along those lines. It works for me and the breaks mean I don't stress out. Like the poster above said it's better to get 4-5 hours of good revision than 9-10 hours of forced, unhelpful revision.
Reply 6
very well👌
Original post by Aarohan

You've pretty much answered your own question. I'd say much less than that or you're just tiring yourself. I would take breaks in between at least.
Reply 8
How should breaks be taken?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending