The Student Room Group

Completing the full A Level course

Hi,

I completed two AS exams in the summer of 2016 (Maths and Psychology) - I left sixth form and pursued new opportunities however now i'd like to complete the full a levels. Do i just sit the year two exams and then that's it? Do they have to be with the same exam board? I'd be doing the second year content through distance learning and sitting the exams as an external candidate. Any advice would be very helpful, especially if anyone has been in the same situation!
Original post by Channex
Hi,

I completed two AS exams in the summer of 2016 (Maths and Psychology) - I left sixth form and pursued new opportunities however now i'd like to complete the full a levels. Do i just sit the year two exams and then that's it? Do they have to be with the same exam board? I'd be doing the second year content through distance learning and sitting the exams as an external candidate. Any advice would be very helpful, especially if anyone has been in the same situation!

Alevels are undergoing a period of reform, switching from modular qualifications to linear ones. For psychology the specfication has already changed. Your AS is no longer counted towards the final result. You would have to complete new exams that test the full two years of content under the new specification to be awarded a full A level. You should check the AS content you have already learned matches what is required in the new specification for your chosen examiner, there may well be gaps you need to fill and knowledge no longer required. For maths, You can use the AS results and just take the A2 as long as you do it in summer 2018 which is the last opportunity to do so. You can complete the A level with A2 maths exams from a different examiner but make sure you have discussed this with your centre as they have some admin to do to make it happen. If you prefer, you could alternatively sit the new full A level exams for the new maths specification that will be available for the first time in summer 2018.
Reply 2
Original post by gdunne42
You can complete the A level with A2 maths exams from a different examiner but make sure you have discussed this with your centre as they have some admin to do to make it happen.

To add to GDunne42's useful advice, the deadline for completing the admin he mentions for next Summer's exams was 21 October so you may now have to stick to the exam board you started with or see if they will let you make a late change.
Original post by Compost
To add to GDunne42's useful advice, the deadline for completing the admin he mentions for next Summer's exams was 21 October so you may now have to stick to the exam board you started with or see if they will let you make a late change.

Good point Compost, I had forgotten the normal date for transfer of credit was so early
Reply 4
i would keep the same exam board instead of switching as different ones have different content to learn

Quick Reply

Latest