The Student Room Group

In Year 11.... Know 0 French!!!

Hey, I'm currently in year 11 and pretty much know no French - this is due to a terrible department at our school and having cover teachers for the majority of the last 4 years. Please can anyone give any tips to learn all the French required for the GCSE in a very short space of time. Thanks!
All reply's much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

1) Apps like Duolingo and Memrise to do daily french and learn how to listen, write and speak it.
2) Quizlet - this is an app that you can learn vocabulary from. Find vocabulary lists in the textbooks you are using and go from there.
3) Engage yourself with French - try speaking it when you're at home, find learning activities and simple texts online to translate or even find people speaking French online and listen to that.

Bonne Chance :smile:
Original post by President Hawk
Hey, I'm currently in year 11 and pretty much know no French - this is due to a terrible department at our school and having cover teachers for the majority of the last 4 years. Please can anyone give any tips to learn all the French required for the GCSE in a very short space of time. Thanks!

Not to put a downer on you, but if you really have no knowledge of French, is there any way you could drop it seen as that'd probably be better than sitting in an interview and having to blame the teachers if they ask about your grade?

I completely understand if you can't, or don't want to. In which case I'd have to agree with the above posts as the best way to learn :smile:

Good luck whichever you choose!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
I was in a very similar situation with German and I got an A* :smile:. I suggest that you
1) learn all the vocab needed through websites like quizlet and memrise
2) do past papers all the time to help your reading (the vocab will help you understand more)
3) practice practice practice grammar by learning it and then writing the length you’re going to have to write in the exam on a topic you’re going to have to do in the exam

Hope this helps!
Original post by Ensorcell
1) Apps like Duolingo and Memrise to do daily french and learn how to listen, write and speak it.
2) Quizlet - this is an app that you can learn vocabulary from. Find vocabulary lists in the textbooks you are using and go from there.
3) Engage yourself with French - try speaking it when you're at home, find learning activities and simple texts online to translate or even find people speaking French online and listen to that.

Bonne Chance :smile:

Merci, I will try these. Merci Beaucoup!
Original post by brainzistheword
Not to put a downer on you, but if you really have no knowledge of French, is there any way you could drop it seen as that'd probably be better than sitting in an interview and having to blame the teachers if they ask about your grade?

I completely understand if you can't, or don't want to. In which case I'd have to agree with the above posts as the best way to learn :smile:

Good luck whichever you choose!

I'm not allowed to drop it... I'm gonna try the tips the "above quote" gave. Merci!
You could just fail the subject if you want and focus on your other subjects.
Thanks, but I hugly find his voice irritating and boring. Just seem to drift off when he's talking. Thanks though!
Hello.

I did GCSE French last year and was in a similar situation to you, I got an A in it.

I felt the best way to revise was to immerse yourself in the language and do plenty of past papers at home.
Original post by black1blade
You could just fail the subject if you want and focus on your other subjects.

That would make my overall look weird and also make it awkward in interviews as mentioned before with me predicted 7/8's in other subjects... Thanks though!
Original post by csforza1
I was in a very similar situation with German and I got an A* :smile:. I suggest that you
1) learn all the vocab needed through websites like quizlet and memrise
2) do past papers all the time to help your reading (the vocab will help you understand more)
3) practice practice practice grammar by learning it and then writing the length you’re going to have to write in the exam on a topic you’re going to have to do in the exam

Hope this helps!

I have my mocks soon, so as soon as I've finished those I'm gonna take your advice. Danke!
Original post by AryanGh
Hello.

I did GCSE French last year and was in a similar situation to you, I got an A in it.

I felt the best way to revise was to immerse yourself in the language and do plenty of past papers at home.

Hi, how exactly did you immerse yourself in the language? And if you can - how did you learn grammar? That seems to be the focal point of the whole language with all these ambiguous rules.
That would make my overall look weird and also make it awkward in interviews as mentioned before with me predicted 7/8's in other subjects... Thanks though!

I got a C (but A/A* in everything else) in french gcse and it doesn't seem to have negatively affected me much- got a cambridge interview next week. Imo in you should prioritise the subjects you are doing at a-level and try do really well in those above other subjects which don't really matter as much. That said, getting 7-9s in most subjects does look good. How many subjects are you doing?
I got a C (but A/A* in everything else) in french gcse and it doesn't seem to have negatively affected me much- got a cambridge interview next week. Imo in you should prioritise the subjects you are doing at a-level and try do really well in those above other subjects which don't really matter as much. That said, getting 7-9s in most subjects does look good. How many subjects are you doing?

I'm doing 9 and think of Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics at A Level. Do universities take much notice of GCSE results?
I'm doing 9 and think of Maths, Further Maths, Computer Science and Physics at A Level. Do universities take much notice of GCSE results?

Dope set (although chem>compsci) and yeah most don't really care that much. Oxford care most about them although even then, how you do in the admission tests (there are specific ones for physics and computer science) is far far more important than your gcse grades. But yeah your priority atm should definitely be your maths and physics gcses. That said I would put a some effort into french so that you don't fail it. To be honest if you are fairly smart, you'll probably be able to scrape a C without too much effort like me. How have you done in controlled assessments so far?

Tu ne peux pas parler en français?
Je dirais .... apprendre le vocabulaire!!

Bonne chance :smile: x
Dope set (although chem>compsci) and yeah most don't really care that much. Oxford care most about them although even then, how you do in the admission tests (there are specific ones for physics and computer science) is far far more important than your gcse grades. But yeah your priority atm should definitely be your maths and physics gcses. That said I would put a some effort into french so that you don't fail it. To be honest if you are fairly smart, you'll probably be able to scrape a C without too much effort like me. How have you done in controlled assessments so far?

That's the thing my friend, we have no controlled assessment. It's 100% linear exam in exam season...
Original post by abc_123_
Tu ne peux pas parler en français?
Je dirais .... apprendre le vocabulaire!!

Bonne chance :smile: x

Merci beaucoup, apres mon mocks, je apprendre le vocabulaire. Il mon francais correct?
Merci beaucoup, apres mon mocks, je apprendre le vocabulaire. Il mon francais correct?

Presque! Après mes examens (je ne Pense pas qu’il y ait un mot pour “mocks” en français), je vais apprendre le vocabulaire.

Improvements: the “mes” isn’t because “mocks” is plural.if mocks was masculine singular, you’d use “mon” (e.g. mon Pere), if it wasn’t feminine you’d use “ma” (e.g ma mère)

“Je apprendre” is not conjugated and you can’t Put 2 vowels together. In the present you have the subject (je) and you conjugate the verb (remove “re” add ending) apprendre is an irregular verb present = j’apprend
Or you could say “je vais apprendre” which I think you were trying to say (I’m going to learn)

Hope that helped xx sorry if it was a bit to much info :smile:
Let me know if you need help x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending