The Student Room Group

Cambridge medical interview

Heyy I know we’re not allowed to discuss what is said at Cambridge interviews but for medicine there are two separate interviews. Does anyone have any idea why or what the structure of those interviews are like? Do they give you paper to work stuff out (for medicine specifically) and also if there’s any link online which throws more light on this please share.

Scroll to see replies

Hi :hi:
I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum so you might get some more answers!
All the best,
Laura :awesome:
Original post by InGodiTrust
Heyy I know we’re not allowed to discuss what is said at Cambridge interviews but for medicine there are two separate interviews. Does anyone have any idea why or what the structure of those interviews are like? Do they give you paper to work stuff out (for medicine specifically) and also if there’s any link online which throws more light on this please share.
I'd be surprised if they refused you paper. If they don't give you any to start with, ask for some.:wink:

Structure will be largely be up to the tutors doing the interview I'd say.

Hi,

The exact structure will vary between colleges but the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwN6GI-0EQ gives a good idea.
Thank you
Please note that the University does not endorse any third party organisation which claim to offer help or special insight into our admissions procedures. Such organistations do not have access to any information other than that which the University and the Colleges provide freely to all applicants. We do not expect candidates to undertake interview preparation and would caution any candidate of the risk of over-preparing for interview to the detriment of their current studies.
(edited 6 years ago)
You might find this old thread of ours helpful:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3257001

It was a Q+A with experienced Medicine interviewers (including our Director of Studies) and has information about Medicine interviews. Make sure you watch the video posted above (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwN6GI-0EQ) as well.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
I really don't appreciate third party organisations hijacking these threads 😕
Perhaps we can Accio! our kindly, genuine (past & preent) Cambridge medics and respected veterans of TSR.
I’m sure they’ll happily share their experience, knowledge and expertise, without charging you a penny. :smile:

@Helenia
@Chief Wiggum

So sorry your thread was hijacked, I've removed those posts now. Best of luck with your interview at Cambridge :smile:

Original post by Ecds
I really don't appreciate third party organisations hijacking these threads 😕

So sorry, I've removed that content, please feel free to report any posts that are inappropriate in the future.
Hi, I have got an interview at Fitz and was wondering if anyone had any advice/ words of wisdom/ last experiences specifically for my college??
Reply 11
Original post by thewannabemedic
Hi, I have got an interview at Fitz and was wondering if anyone had any advice/ words of wisdom/ last experiences specifically for my college??

Hi, I've moved your post into this thread. There's some tips posted above :smile:
Original post by vincrows
Perhaps we can Accio! our kindly, genuine (past & preent) Cambridge medics and respected veterans of TSR.
I’m sure they’ll happily share their experience, knowledge and expertise, without charging you a penny. :smile:

@Helenia
@Chief Wiggum

Why thank you!

I was interviewed a long time ago now, but from what I can tell, not a lot has changed (welcome to Cambridge :wink:). Expect them to be science-heavy and include things you may not have covered in your A-levels. You may be given props of various kinds - microscope pictures, bones etc - and asked questions using those as a starting point. You might not know all the answers, which is absolutely fine, this is about seeing how you think scientifically!

As for the two separate interviews, this varies between colleges. At some, one is more science and one more personal, but at many, mine included, both are pretty sciencey and there were very few personal/non-academic questions. Good luck!
Are we allowed to bring calculators to the interview and use them for their questions?
Reply 14
Are we allowed to bring calculators to the interview and use them for their questions?

Probably no. Certainly not for an interview, but possibly for a pre-interview test if you have one*.

(*I don't know if any colleges have these for medicine, but they do for some other courses.)
(edited 6 years ago)

Original post by Doonesbury
Probably no. Certainly not for an interview, but possibly for a pre-interview test if you have one*.

(*I don't know if any colleges have these for medicine, but they do for some other courses.)

I assume if they're planning to ask a question/s that'd need a calculator, they'd tell you if you need to bring your own calculator.
If they haven't instructed what to do, probably you won't need one or they have their own calculator for you to use because they don't want you to bring your own.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by vincrows
I assume if they're planning to ask a question/s that'd need a calculator, they'd tell you if you need to bring your own calculator.
If they haven't instructed what to do, probably you won't need one or they have their own calculator for you to use because they don't want you to bring your own.

Yes true. :smile:
“Don’t wear skirts?!”
I’m looking at some of the interview advice I got from a variety of sources including some Cambridge students and not wearing skirts seems to be on the list. I Cannot remember why. Is this actually a thing?
“Don’t wear skirts?!”
I’m looking at some of the interview advice I got from a variety of sources including some Cambridge students and not wearing skirts seems to be on the list. I Cannot remember why. Is this actually a thing?

No I don't think that's "a thing" lol.
Reply 19
“Don’t wear skirts?!”

Original post by Chief Wiggum
No I don't think that's "a thing" lol.

Probably because of the possibility of being interviewed in a comfy chair or sofa...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending