The Student Room Group

Academic journals

Goodness me they say a lot about nothing. Here is a sentence from one I am currently (trying to) read:

'Power is not an external relation between already constituted identities, but in fact constitutes the identities themselves in a contingent and precarious terrain'

Just for context this article was about the importance of knowledge in Town Planning.

In a serious point though, could they describe this in simple language?

I find it very frustrating because I end up getting bogged down in reading these for my assignments and trying to unpack what they are actually saying more than trying to understand them. What can I do? FYI I have been at uni for 5 years doing this.
Original post by jjh87
Goodness me they say a lot about nothing. Here is a sentence from one I am currently (trying to) read:

'Power is not an external relation between already constituted identities, but in fact constitutes the identities themselves in a contingent and precarious terrain'

Just for context this article was about the importance of knowledge in Town Planning.

In a serious point though, could they describe this in simple language?

I find it very frustrating because I end up getting bogged down in reading these for my assignments and trying to unpack what they are actually saying more than trying to understand them. What can I do? FYI I have been at uni for 5 years doing this.

Not much expect keep at it and read it a few times over. Journals expect a certain level of understanding and you have to use language a certain way when writing articles. Your reading them as a student is about getting into the habit of reading and writing like that at an academic level. It may help to draw mind maps of each or read in a particular way. This is not my field but I tend to read in my own field starting with abstract, then conclusions, then results, then back to methods. Then if I want context I will go into the intro but abstract should give you all of that.

Quick Reply

Latest