The Student Room Group

A level advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Urgent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is AS psychology easier or harder than AS business studies
Out of the two I've only done psychology and I personally wouldn't say it's too hard. However it is A LOT OF work as there's tons of content you need to know in detail to revise. I don't find the content too hard to understand myself but other people in my class struggle a lot (I'm in year 13 btw)

If you have any questions you wanna ask me about psychology feel free to just ask!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Out of the two I've only done psychology and I personally wouldn't say it's too hard. However it is A LOT OF work as there's tons of content you need to know in detail to revise. I don't find the content too hard to understand myself but other people in my class struggle a lot (I'm in year 13 btw)

If you have any questions you wanna ask me about psychology feel free to just ask!

Is the content heavy and not suitable as a fourth a level if im doing vigorous subjects
Original post by officialzak_2001
Is the content heavy and not suitable as a fourth a level if im doing vigorous subjects

It may depend on your exam board but the AS content on Edexcel is:

>10 key studies in great depth (aim, procedure, results, conclusion, evaluation) this is detail like exact participant numbers and specific practical details
>About 15 key theories in detail (key terms, key concepts, evaluation and application)
>4 key questions (usually includes application of all relevant theories)
>4 key practicals (aim, procedure, results analysis, conclusion, evaluation)
>A bunch of extra studies in less detail
>Crap ton of research methods and evaluation of all of them
>A bit of maths and stats

So yeah it's quite a lot to memorise and revise

As for doing alongside other intensive subjects I got AAAA last year doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Religious Studies so it is definitely manageable and it is really interesting too! Whether you want to take the burden of another intense a level though is only a decision you can make.
It may depend on your exam board but the AS content on Edexcel is:

>10 key studies in great depth (aim, procedure, results, conclusion, evaluation) this is detail like exact participant numbers and specific practical details
>About 15 key theories in detail (key terms, key concepts, evaluation and application)
>4 key questions (usually includes application of all relevant theories)
>4 key practicals (aim, procedure, results analysis, conclusion, evaluation)
>A bunch of extra studies in less detail
>Crap ton of research methods and evaluation of all of them
>A bit of maths and stats

So yeah it's quite a lot to memorise and revise

As for doing alongside other intensive subjects I got AAAA last year doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Religious Studies so it is definitely manageable and it is really interesting too! Whether you want to take the burden of another intense a level though is only a decision you can make.

Did it result in less time for revision for other subjects. It looks quite off putting but i keep hearing mixed reviews saying it gets boring
Did it result in less time for revision for other subjects. It looks quite off putting but i keep hearing mixed reviews saying it gets boring

It did mean less time revising for religious studies and biology but so did chemistry! Psychology required a lot of revision but I found it easy and chemistry was really hard so I spent a lot of time on that. Biology has always been easy for me so I didn't need to revise for it too much and tbh I didn't care about religious studies as much because I was dropping it. So yeah it detracted from my other subjects a bit but I managed too work around it by prioritising my subjects.

I love the subject and find it really interesting. It can get boring at times as certain studies can be quite boring such as Baddeley or Schmolk but other studies and theories are great and the key questions are pretty cool! Our social one is about cults, cognitive about dementia, learning about eating disorders and biological about drug addiction (may be different for other schools and exam boards). I know the subject isn't for everyone but personally I'll never regret taking it!
It did mean less time revising for religious studies and biology but so did chemistry! Psychology required a lot of revision but I found it easy and chemistry was really hard so I spent a lot of time on that. Biology has always been easy for me so I didn't need to revise for it too much and tbh I didn't care about religious studies as much because I was dropping it. So yeah it detracted from my other subjects a bit but I managed too work around it by prioritising my subjects.

I love the subject and find it really interesting. It can get boring at times as certain studies can be quite boring such as Baddeley or Schmolk but other studies and theories are great and the key questions are pretty cool! Our social one is about cults, cognitive about dementia, learning about eating disorders and biological about drug addiction (may be different for other schools and exam boards). I know the subject isn't for everyone but personally I'll never regret taking it!

I think i'll do a pro and con list. I want to study math,chem, bio and not sure?
I think i'll do a pro and con list. I want to study math,chem, bio and not sure?

A pros and cons list is a really good idea!

Psychology is commonly seen as a STEM or STEM related subject so it might be good to have it alongside your other A Levels as they're STEM but this is not required! You're taking 3 STEM subjects which is great for STEM based courses and maybe throwing in a different A Level might take the stress off of you! I found Religious Studies was a nice respite from my other three as it was a completely different discipline and required different types of thinking.

Looking at it from a purely practical point of view, I would recommend leaving it as those 3. Universities only need 3 subjects, and from what I can remember looking at various requirements, your options would be equally as open without psychology or business since you have biology and maths.
i take business studies and i find it quite easy and straightforward. there’s just a lot of content you need to revise, and the exams are alright but require a lot of time on revision
Original post by k4yleyh4u00
i take business studies and i find it quite easy and straightforward. there’s just a lot of content you need to revise, and the exams are alright but require a lot of time on revision

How was AS? Is AS content a lot?
How was AS? Is AS content a lot?

there’s two units in AS, BS1 and BS2 (I do WJEC)

BS1 is really straight forward and if you revise, you won’t find a problem with the exam

BS2 is quite heavy on content, actually taking me ages to revise it but mainly because i only started quite late, april/may. but if you start early (around february) and continually revise, it won’t be too much

Paper 1 for the exas is only based on BS1. so revise hard and do every past paper because questions are repetitive asf, i managed to write all the [8]+ market questions out before the exam and memorised them, lucky enough to have them come up (time management is key)

Paper 2, however, is a huge load including BS1 and BS2. time management and general understanding is sooo important.

make sure you understand business, rather than being able to recite it. understanding will help you a lot more than memorising everything
Reply 12
Is AS psychology easier or harder than AS business studies

I don't think any A Level subject is easier than the other. Just pick a simple you'll enjoy studying at A Level and potentially Uni. :smile:
Original post by k4yleyh4u00
there’s two units in AS, BS1 and BS2 (I do WJEC)

BS1 is really straight forward and if you revise, you won’t find a problem with the exam

BS2 is quite heavy on content, actually taking me ages to revise it but mainly because i only started quite late, april/may. but if you start early (around february) and continually revise, it won’t be too much

Paper 1 for the exas is only based on BS1. so revise hard and do every past paper because questions are repetitive asf, i managed to write all the [8]+ market questions out before the exam and memorised them, lucky enough to have them come up (time management is key)

Paper 2, however, is a huge load including BS1 and BS2. time management and general understanding is sooo important.

make sure you understand business, rather than being able to recite it. understanding will help you a lot more than memorising everything

My teacher said the AQA spec is like GCSE. I've looked at the AQA spec it looks easier as they test you on everything on both papers. R u doing the new spec.
My teacher said the AQA spec is like GCSE. I've looked at the AQA spec it looks easier as they test you on everything on both papers. R u doing the new spec.

i do wjec legacy

Quick Reply

Latest