The Student Room Group

Changing decision about UCAS

Hi recently applied to do economics at uni already on ucas, however i am having doubts about my course and would like to change to maths and economics. IS there anything i can do to change my course. Applied at notts, leeds, bristol warwick and loughborough.
Original post by Joseph_1028
Hi recently applied to do economics at uni already on ucas, however i am having doubts about my course and would like to change to maths and economics. IS there anything i can do to change my course. Applied at notts, leeds, bristol warwick and loughborough.

Unfortunately, once you've submitted your application you can't withdraw and change. But you do have 5 choices, so if you've only applied to 4 you can apply somewhere to do the course you want as a 5th choice.
Reply 2
Original post by CrazyPantha27
Unfortunately, once you've submitted your application you can't withdraw and change. But you do have 5 choices, so if you've only applied to 4 you can apply somewhere to do the course you want as a 5th choice.

i meant change course , ive used up all my choices but i was wondering si there anyway possible to change to a joint honours programme
i meant change course , ive used up all my choices but i was wondering si there anyway possible to change to a joint honours programme

As far as I know there isn't. So my advice to you is to contact UCAS and each of the Universities you applied to and ask them if you can change courses. But you won't be able to change universities.
Reply 4
Original post by CrazyPantha27
As far as I know there isn't. So my advice to you is to contact UCAS and each of the Universities you applied to and ask them if you can change courses. But you won't be able to change universities.

yeah i want to keep the same universities however switch to a different coure
yeah i want to keep the same universities however switch to a different coure

Well then my best advice is that you contact UCAS and each of the universities and ask them if you can change.
Reply 6

You can keep the same universities, but you can't change to other unis. You would need to email or phone the unis directly and ask if they will consider you for the new course. They don't have to, but most will agree. They will review you against standard criteria for the new course, so you need to have the necessary grades. You may also wish to email them a new personal statement explaining why you like the new subject.
The person above is wrong. Did you apply within the last 2 weeks? If so you can change course.
Reply 8
Original post by Juno
You can keep the same universities, but you can't change to other unis. You would need to email or phone the unis directly and ask if they will consider you for the new course. They don't have to, but most will agree. They will review you against standard criteria for the new course, so you need to have the necessary grades. You may also wish to email them a new personal statement explaining why you like the new subject.

ywah cheers for the information, i meet the criteria for the universities id like to go to, would u advise emailing the addmissions department or the school im applying form
Reply 9
ywah cheers for the information, i meet the criteria for the universities id like to go to, would u advise emailing the addmissions department or the school im applying form

Generally, you would need to email admissions. But if it is the wrong person, they will let you know or forward the email on, so don't worry too much.

Make sure you include your UCAS ID in the email.
Ah okay , would u suggest just sending a brief email now or do I need to write an extra letter saying why I’d like to do the course or wait to see what they say
Original post by Juno
Generally, you would need to email admissions. But if it is the wrong person, they will let you know or forward the email on, so don't worry too much.

Make sure you include your UCAS ID in the email.
sorry forgot to tag you
Reply 12
Ah okay , would u suggest just sending a brief email now or do I need to write an extra letter saying why I’d like to do the course or wait to see what they say

Well, this depends on how sure you are you want to change (once you have a new offer, it would be difficult to swap back), and what your original personal statement was like. Some economics applicants will already write about maths in their PS, so your statement may be applicable to both courses.

I would recommend waiting a few days to decide that this is definitely what you want. There's no rush, and you can use the time to research both courses thoroughly. Then if you are absolutely sure, send them a short email asking if you can change course. Then wait til they reply, and go from there - they might ask you to phone them for a chat, or to write a new PS etc.
Original post by Juno
Well, this depends on how sure you are you want to change (once you have a new offer, it would be difficult to swap back), and what your original personal statement was like. Some economics applicants will already write about maths in their PS, so your statement may be applicable to both courses.

I would recommend waiting a few days to decide that this is definitely what you want. There's no rush, and you can use the time to research both courses thoroughly. Then if you are absolutely sure, send them a short email asking if you can change course. Then wait til they reply, and go from there - they might ask you to phone them for a chat, or to write a new PS etc.

Okay thank you for all the info been a great help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending